Music server - set me up!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The PC will be in the same room as the HT equipment, so he can run direct to his avr and use a remote control app or a media receiver for on screen display.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is amazing how often I get Kevin or Keith. Usually I just let it go, so there's a good chance you saw Kevin elsewhere and I went with it.

Man, I'm beginning to realize how much I don't know about this. If I go straight from your PC to AVR, is there good software for playlists? I'd want several playlists.

What is a recommended Software for this? I can Google it and get a sense of how it works.

Thanks,
K*

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
It is amazing how often I get Kevin or Keith. Usually I just let it go, so there's a good chance you saw Kevin elsewhere and I went with it.

Man, I'm beginning to realize how much I don't know about this. If I go straight from your PC to AVR, is there good software for playlists? I'd want several playlists.

What is a recommended Software for this? I can Google it and get a sense of how it works.

Thanks,
K*
I recommend a media receiver like this(there are several on the market) unless you use a ps3 which will work. Any DNLA compliant server will work its just a matter of the best interface for you. Both of my displays have a receiver built in. So knowing that your interest is mainly in music, for future needs id pick player that plays a wide range of video codecs as well in case you want to extend your media to videos also.

As for the software for streaming there is several and your care package will contain a few;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My PC is hooked directly to my AVR via HDMI & I use Windows Media Center, which allows you to create many Playlists.

Am I too out of date with this?:D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
My PC is hooked directly to my AVR via HDMI & I use Windows Media Center, which allows you to create many Playlists.

Am I too out of date with this?:D
No, you just need to add wirless touch panel for control, and add those home automation and remote control apps and your in business :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, you just need to add wirless touch panel for control, and add those home automation and remote control apps and your in business :p
Well, I'm like SHOCK; he wants a high-end pre-pro for under $400 & I want all that automation for under $400.:eek::D

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
After seeing this thread, I decided to work on a couple options, just for fun with an older PC i had laying around. I have never really liked any HTPC i've had. Even a well built PC can be "testy" at times. I've never found a remote, a platform or anything that I've really loved. ANYWAY, I've been using the WD TV live for a bit now, and while its not great for browsing in some respects, its not too bad for the money. Some pretty good media players similar to it are coming out now. So, back to my original thought. I took the older box, installed freeNAS on a 500GB drive. I really like it. I can access and modify settings from my laptop, keep it networked without a monitor out of my way and use the WD Live to access the media. Seems to work really really well at this point. I think as I get better at managing playlists, this will be the way to go for me.

H

Hemlock

Junior Audioholic
After seeing this thread, I decided to work on a couple options, just for fun with an older PC i had laying around. I have never really liked any HTPC i've had. Even a well built PC can be "testy" at times. I've never found a remote, a platform or anything that I've really loved. ANYWAY, I've been using the WD TV live for a bit now, and while its not great for browsing in some respects, its not too bad for the money. Some pretty good media players similar to it are coming out now. So, back to my original thought. I took the older box, installed freeNAS on a 500GB drive. I really like it. I can access and modify settings from my laptop, keep it networked without a monitor out of my way and use the WD Live to access the media. Seems to work really really well at this point. I think as I get better at managing playlists, this will be the way to go for me.
I second the freeNAS www.freenas.org
based on the BSD Unix OS (for now...) it is SUPER lightweight as far as overhead and specfically designed to be a File Server. I realize its technically a NAS but the list of protocals it supports is amazing. inbcluding:

■SMB/CIFS (Samba)
■AFP (Netatalk)
■NFS
■FTP (ProFTPD)
■TFTP (tftp-hpa)
■RSYNC (client/server)
■Unison
■SCP (SSH)
■iSCSI target
■Bittorent client (Transmission)
■UPnP server (FUPPES)
■iTunes/DAAP server (Firefly)
■Webserver (lighttpd)
■ZFS

it supports DNLA and UPnP, also DAAP (which I will probably get banned for mentioning).
one of my favorite features is the built in torrent client Transmission.
You designate a folder fo it to watch and dump your Grateful Dead torrent files in there and it pulls down the shows automatically.

You can run this on a P3 no problem. set up the drives to spin down when not in use and the power savings is huge.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
The Popbox is coming out soon and will likely be an awesome network media player for those of us that run a file server or home network.

http://www.popbox.com/

Also the Boxee Box looks very good as well.

http://www.boxee.tv/box

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
The Popbox is coming out soon and will likely be an awesome network media player for those of us that run a file server or home network.

http://www.popbox.com/

Also the Boxee Box looks very good as well.

http://www.boxee.tv/box
BOXEE was the one I was thinking of. I'm gonna order one. The "Netflix" capability is enough for me over the WD, but I know it has other things...

FreeNAS is more and more amazing the more I play with it...

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I get shouted down everytime I jump in one of these server threads.......
Unless you are slavering to build something and tweak around with software and ordering parts and calling tech support and gnashing your teeth from the DIY experience......
My Escient Fireball is plug and play. Granted it is a little long in the tooth, but IT HAS NEVER CRASHED, BURPED, OR HICCUPED IN THE FOUR YEARS I HAVE OWNED IT. The onscreen menus are easy and seamless. The library storage set up is simple and intuitive. My doesn't do lossless, but all the new ones do. AudioReQuest is another brand that is dependable. Used ones are going cheaply. Mine will hold 500 cds at 320kbps and sells used for $250. All the folks here will scream how expensive this option is. Expensive up front new, yes. But once again, IT IS PLUG AND PLAY WITH NO WORK.
Just my two cents.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I get shouted down everytime I jump in one of these server threads.......
Unless you are slavering to build something and tweak around with software and ordering parts and calling tech support and gnashing your teeth from the DIY experience......
My Escient Fireball is plug and play. Granted it is a little long in the tooth, but IT HAS NEVER CRASHED, BURPED, OR HICCUPED IN THE FOUR YEARS I HAVE OWNED IT. The onscreen menus are easy and seamless. The library storage set up is simple and intuitive. My doesn't do lossless, but all the new ones do. AudioReQuest is another brand that is dependable. Used ones are going cheaply. Mine will hold 500 cds at 320kbps and sells used for $250. All the folks here will scream how expensive this option is. Expensive up front new, yes. But once again, IT IS PLUG AND PLAY WITH NO WORK.
Just my two cents.
David, the fireball is a great unit add is always a choice for music servers.:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If I close my eyes and whisper 'Kathy' I feel funny inside. :eek:

PM's to follow. :D
Now that is a little creepy. Kathy is the name my parents had chosen had I been born female.

Some how, I'll probably regret this post.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
BOXEE was the one I was thinking of. I'm gonna order one. The "Netflix" capability is enough for me over the WD, but I know it has other things...

In that case I would download the client for whatever OS you are running and play with it before you buy the box to see how you like it. What could it hurt its free?

H

Hemlock

Junior Audioholic
have you configured the bittorrent client Transmission yet?

the key there is to have FreeNAS hardwired to your router (wireless n not withstanding)

you drop the small torrent file in a directory you told Transmission to watch, and downloads for you fast and out of the way.
no more leaving your laptop on all night to complete torrents.
and perfect for seeding as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis