Music only setup for a fitness center

J

joallen001

Enthusiast
So what do you recommend? Are you saying I would be better off buying a $100 stereo at wally world than wall mounted speakers? That is what everyone else hear does and some are larger than 4000 sq ft

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So what do you recommend? Are you saying I would be better off buying a $100 stereo at wally world than wall mounted speakers? That is what everyone else hear does and some are larger than 4000 sq ft
Yes, may be. The problem is that to improve on that in a meaningful way will cost a lot more than the system form Wally World, and spending a little more may not help you much.

You wanted something better.

Now a distributed system using a PA amp and either ceiling speakers or wall mounted ones, about every 6 to 8 feet each side, will not cost a fortune. It will give you a good background effect and if you use a mic you will have good speech intelligibility with good coverage.

What you will get is a system that does just that. You can expect good long term reliability.

Now if you want a good clean music system with clean sound at reasonable sound pressure levels, then you will need a significantly larger budget.

It will require speakers highly efficient, using 12 or 15 bass drivers with a horn top end preferably bi-amped with active crossovers and a couple of power amps in the 500 watt per channel range. You should also budget for a powerful powered sub, to make the system sing. You will need a pre amp or PA mixer to drive the system.

You still have not given us a budget. The problem is that if you want useable spl at quality half measures get you no further then 10% measures or less.

Systems for good quality in a space that big is well beyond what is possible with domestic systems. So you are basically looking at good DJ systems, or better depending on budget.

In my experience most music systems in large spaces, other than background, are half measure systems or less and pay the penalty.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
A 3,700 sq. ft. space with 10' ceilings is very large.

Here is a 1,200 ft space.

This has room for two farm tractors, one with a 6 ft mowing deck, the other with 8' bucket and 8' grader, a Willys Jeep and a lawn tractor with 4' mowing deck as well as tool chests welder, plasma cutter, work benches and 60 gallon air tank. In the inter it stows to take all that plus and 18.5' speed boat and gas trailer with a 50 gallon tank. The OP's space is three times that!

Filling that with sound of any quality will be a challenge. Four small wall mounted speakers, won't even amount to a pea shooter.
I was thinking JTRs which are by no means pea shooters. And 4 assumes they don't want to fill the entire gym, but the budget wouldn't allow for that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I was thinking JTRs which are by no means pea shooters. And 4 assumes they don't want to fill the entire gym, but the budget wouldn't allow for that.
Yes, those would be the type of systems that would be in the running.

J

joallen001

Enthusiast
I did post before that I did not want to spend more than $400-500. I will likely never use the system for a mic. All I need is music. Do you have a link to the JTRs you are referring to. Thanks for all the help and comments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did post before that I did not want to spend more than $400-500. I will likely never use the system for a mic. All I need is music. Do you have a link to the JTRs you are referring to. Thanks for all the help and comments
If that is your budget, go to Wally World. You can't do anything decent in that space for anything close to that budget. A mic by the way costs next to nothing.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The budget is a challenge and the recommendations are limited by that budget.

40 bucks
Behringer XENYX 502 Stereo Mixer at zZounds
Behringer XENYX 502 Mixer

The mixer is very solid and very simple. If it breaks it's cheap to replace and it even has a mic spot should you desire it someday.

For speakers check out Craigslist(Behringer, Mackie, JBL) all work well. Get active speakers. I don't see you being able to fill the entire room, but maybe you could have a section with sound.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The budget is a challenge and the recommendations are limited by that budget.

40 bucks
Behringer XENYX 502 Stereo Mixer at zZounds
Behringer XENYX 502 Mixer

The mixer is very solid and very simple. If it breaks it's cheap to replace and it even has a mic spot should you desire it someday.

For speakers check out Craigslist(Behringer, Mackie, JBL) all work well. Get active speakers. I don't see you being able to fill the entire room, but maybe you could have a section with sound.
That mixer should start him off.

I think he should up his budget a little.

He could buy a couple of these and be very close to budget.

The above will keep him close to budget. He will blow a receiver in no time.

If he spends a little more these speakers would probably be worth the extra cash.

I have not heard the latter, but I have the Mackie speakers and they are pretty rough and harsh.

J

joallen001

Enthusiast
That mixer should start him off.

I think he should up his budget a little.

He could buy a couple of these and be very close to budget.

The above will keep him close to budget. He will blow a receiver in no time.

If he spends a little more these speakers would probably be worth the extra cash.

I have not heard the latter, but I have the Mackie speakers and they are pretty rough and harsh.
Are you saying the Mackie TH-15 would blow a receiver in no time?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Are you saying the Mackie TH-15 would blow a receiver in no time?
You do not need a receiver with either of those speakers. They have amps within the speakers and electronic crossovers as well. So there are two power amps in each speaker, one for the bass and one for the HF. The crossover is ahead of the amplification, which is important in big spaces.

If you put a receiver in your space you will push it too hard and blow it.

The speakers I listed can connect directly to the mixer.

J

joallen001

Enthusiast
I am going to look into the Mackie. So far I have found them around $270-280. I also called the guy about the 502 mixer and he recommended two of the Behringer B212D and they are about $210 each. I will have to make a decision soon so I can have my electrician place a plug for speakers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am going to look into the Mackie. So far I have found them around $270-280. I also called the guy about the 502 mixer and he recommended two of the Behringer B212D and they are about $210 each. I will have to make a decision soon so I can have my electrician place a plug for speakers
Just remember those speakers are not connected with speaker wire, but with audio cables.

J

joallen001

Enthusiast
Just remember those speakers are not connected with speaker wire, but with audio cables.
Each speaker will need a plug for power, is that correct? As far as the audio cables can those be daisy chained or do I need a separate audio cable from each speaker to the mixer? Does it really matter what kind of adapter I use to work the ipod with the mixer?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Each speaker will need a plug for power, is that correct? As far as the audio cables can those be daisy chained or do I need a separate audio cable from each speaker to the mixer? Does it really matter what kind of adapter I use to work the ipod with the mixer?
Yes, you will need AC power at each speaker. No you can not daisy chain them. Each of the two speakers will need an audio feed from the mixer.

You just need a lead with the correct plugs either end to connect your ipod to the mixer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

when I started a new gym in USA. So in the beginning I also had a lot of problem. but I think you can use 5 to 6 speaker in your gym because I have a gym around 5000 square feet. and I put in 7 speaker.
Yes, and I'd like that translated please!

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For consistent Music Streaming via WiFi from your phone, I would get a Yamaha AVR and use MusicCast.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis