Audiophyte
I currently have 2 monolith 12's. But I want to add two monolith 16's. My question will this throw the subs off for as the output since it's a big jump in power, or just go with the two 16's. I love bass so I wanted all four, however I can't afford 4 16's. Thoughts?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I’d calibrate volumes and then drop the 12’s by a few dB. Then EQ.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I might try and put the two smaller subs more nearfield so they don't have to work as hard, or use Steve's suggestion just to lower the 12s' levels. Probably in general not an issue unless you're listening at very high levels that exceed the capabilities of the 12s (you only need as much output as your volume demands). I'd try all four first, but depends on your room and setup tools etc....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It should be noted for the sake of proper understanding that the weaker Sub will usually set the limit for the stronger Sub. Don't think of it in terms of Power as it is the capabilities of a larger Driver in a completely different system when you look at the two Subs in question.

If you have a MiniDSP 2x4, you could put a much more finite tune on the system. Link one input to the outputs for the 2 12s, and one input to the two 16s. It will likely be a deep dive into measuring and tweaking, but I would think you could use those 12s to really augment the Mid-Bass experience and possibly add some TR to the whole set up if done properly. I do like the Nearfield idea, too.

Sigberg Audio

Sigberg Audio

Audioholic
What you could also do (if you have DSP/EQ capability) is to highpass the 12s a bit, say perhaps at 25-30hz so they don't have to struggle with the lowest frequencies. This will likely increase their capacity enough to match the 16s (for all practical purposes) so that you can run all four at the same volume.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Get the two 16's. Place them appropriately for the room.

Co-locate the two 12's so that they're working together (stack them).

Treat it like a 3 sub arrangement.

You would do well to get a miniDSP HD 2x4 or similar so that you can properly time/phase align them and apply any EQ as needed.

Very best,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis