Multimedia Art - Subwoofer Advice

C

Chad Zemel

Enthusiast
Hello!

My name is Chad. I am a multimedia artist. I am preparing to build a small room with a number of hidden in-wall subwoofers (amplifiers built-in) and speakers. The speakers and subwoofers will be used to evoke physical vibrations in each visitor during the multimedia experience.

I have tested this recently on a large 21in subwoofer and two average speakers at around 45hz and 85dB, 6ft away, to great success! I wish to go ahead and purchase some subwoofers and speakers for more long-term experimentation prior to crafting the installation.

It has been recommended that I look into HSU and SVS subwoofers, at least 10in or bigger. Because of my minimal experience with audio equipment, it was also recommended that I plea for advice from this wonderful community!

Thank you in advance!
Chad

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Chad, before you go on a shopping spree, you need to figure out what SPL to aim for at what frequency. Here is an Audioholics article published some months ago which deals with what you are trying to accomplish. What is the size of the room you are going to have this installation in? Room acoustics will play a big role in the sound, as will the frequency response you are aiming for. The best advice to accomplishing what you want will come from more specific goals. For example, you say you evoked physical sensations in visitors with a 21" woofer and a couple of speakers at 85 dB, but what was the weighting of that SPL rating? And are you sure it wasn't some resonance through the floor rather then the sound itself?

C

Chad Zemel

Enthusiast
Hey shadyJ,

Thanks for pointing me to the Audioholics tacticle sensations research article. While only a preliminary study with 9 people (and a couple of beers), the results are no less telling!

The size of the room will be approximately 10' x 10' x 10'. The room will be "empty". The subwoofers w/ built-in amps (and speakers) are to be built into the walls. Full-body sensations are ideal, so i might start experimenting with 100-200 Hz, per the results of the Audioholic experiment. Headphones will be worn, and the goal is for the subwoofer sound to remain nearly silent after headphones are in and on (which is why we focused on lower frequencies) while the sensations remain strong. We played with dissonance between the speakers and subwoofers, and the desired effect of a heartbeat was nearly achieved. I am nervous about pumping up the volume too loud, as I plan for most ages to be free to enter the space, from kids to older adults. Physical floor vibrations don't achieve the desired effect I am searching for.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks again!
Chad

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis