Multichannel Music listening

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got used to playing music discs and files in their original configuration, no upmixing. But that was before Dolby upgraded their upmixing algorithm from Pro Logic (and all of its variants) to Dolby Surround. Is it really that much better? I might have to sit down to conduct listening tests again.
I think DSU and NeuralX are 100% better than any Dolby Pro Logic or DTS Neo variations.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I hardly used the multi channel stereo with my Onkyo TX-SR875 since the set-up was a little different early this year.

Now using a Denon AVC-X8500H and tweaking levels and balance to get an even constant level while using the five screen channels the side surround arrays the back surrounds and multiples of overheads speakers all playing at once.

Three screen LR and centre is also enaged in the stereo multi mode only I use the x5 five screen channels as well
Left Right, Left-centre Right-centre, centre

6 sidewall surrounds
1st left right stereo surrounds
2nd left right stereo surrounds
3rd left right stereo surrounds

3 back wall surrounds
Left, Right back suround and middle centre back srround

6 overhead surrounds
Height 1 front left right
Height 2 middle left right
Height 3 back left right

2 subs

Thinking of adding some more JBL surrounds to the sidewalls.

I have extra Onkyo and my other Marantz that have multi channel stereo. The only thing not got wired up is the Below Surrounds which is only wired up for mono matrix. I may figure out way to rig up the extra 3rd Onkyo AVR so I can have Stereo Below Surrounds underneath the seats.

At sensible SPL level it sounds way better than 2 channel speaker stereo.Sounds like headphones only I don't feel headphones around my head and against my ears I hear like, "I guess most of you".

It makes me kinder look over my shoulder at times or around, above in front. Its a good gimmick I like it. Would have liked this on stereo amp many years ago. Oh there was A and B speakers only this is way better.

48380195_10156720653335149_7470417397401255936_n.jpg

Been listening to James Horner, A L I E N S soundtrack.

48398642_10156720693325149_7684139866312933376_n.jpg

48369739_10156720693590149_8475002916426481664_n.jpg

I noticed a setting on Surround Parameter Speaker Select to switch the Height off and just have the regular multi stereo outputs being used or with Floor & Height.

48407097_10156720785935149_837513133751795712_n.jpg

When switching to regular 2 channels stereo the whole thing sounds flat and dull.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does that hold for regular 5.1 and 7.1 speaker setups?
Yes. I think DSU and NeuralX sound 100% better than PL & Neo even for traditional 5.1 for 2 reasons.

1. The Center Dialogue actually sounds like it is discrete. I always hated the way ProLogic sounded with the center dialogue channel.

2. The surround speakers sound more active.

For Atmos setup, the overhead effects is extremely cool for DSU and NeuralX. There are many examples mentioned in the Atmos/DTSX discussion thread. I will mention one. In The Dark Knight Rises, when the Batwing emerges from the dark alley and flies over us, the overhead sound effect is absolutely amazing.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes. I think DSU and NeuralX sound 100% better than PL & Neo even for traditional 5.1 for 2 reasons.

1. The Center Dialogue actually sounds like it is discrete. I always hated the way ProLogic sounded with the center dialogue channel.

2. The surround speakers sound more active.

For Atmos setup, the overhead effects is extremely cool for DSU and NeuralX. There are many examples mentioned in the Atmos/DTSX discussion thread. I will mention one. In The Dark Knight Rises, when the Batwing emerges from the dark alley and flies over us, the overhead sound effect is absolutely amazing.
I definitely agree. The surround speakers are much more noticeable using DSU, even in just 5.1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis