Multi use of AV system

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Dear Experts

Its been a while and you guys helped me alot setting up my outdoor system and indoor cinema system which I have been enjoying for 6 years.

Q: I do have a cinema room which now converted to indoor cycling studio for me (kids older now). I have:

1. HK 247 receiver (AV 5:1 system from 2006)
2. Two PSB tower speakers and PSB subwoofer
3. Recently purchase a bluetooth wireless adapter to play music while on the virtual cycling trainer.
4. I use apple TV to connect my Tacx neo cycling trainer to the TV while the BT is used to play music from my phone.
The Question is: if there a way when I am not on the trainer I can use the same speakers to watch movies or netflix without taking out wires or change wires?. i.e, is there a way to change mode or add something where I can still use the system for AV experience as well as music listening

APpreciate your reply
Itawad

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I am not expert, but I would say possibly the fact that you are using a 2006 receiver will probably leave us all in the dark on giving you the appropriate answer.

So this bluetooth device your purchased is using audio in via RCA?

Second, I think most importantly, what wires is it that you keep having to switch up? I mean does your set up not have multiple inputs? cause that would just go back to having an old receiver.

Which PSB speakers do you have?

Maybe provide some photos of what you are experiencing netflix set up to work out set up

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dear Experts

Its been a while and you guys helped me alot setting up my outdoor system and indoor cinema system which I have been enjoying for 6 years.

Q: I do have a cinema room which now converted to indoor cycling studio for me (kids older now). I have:

1. HK 247 receiver (AV 5:1 system from 2006)
2. Two PSB tower speakers and PSB subwoofer
3. Recently purchase a bluetooth wireless adapter to play music while on the virtual cycling trainer.
4. I use apple TV to connect my Tacx neo cycling trainer to the TV while the BT is used to play music from my phone.
The Question is: if there a way when I am not on the trainer I can use the same speakers to watch movies or netflix without taking out wires or change wires?. i.e, is there a way to change mode or add something where I can still use the system for AV experience as well as music listening

APpreciate your reply
Itawad
Why do you connect the apple tv to the tv instead of the avr to start?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guessing he wants sound out his AVR, 2006 probably doesn’t have ARC
Could be, but then its easy enough to connect something to the tv for audio to the avr aside from ARC....just curious why his setup is what it is....

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Thank you All
initially I was listening to music using BT connector via RCA to the back of the receiver and watch the tv (cycling app with no sound) using Apple TV hooked to TV. The problem is if I hook the Apple TV to AV receiver the app sound will come out of the speakers and I won’t be able to listen to music.

to recap: can I isolate listening to music from the app via the av receiver. I hope I’m clarifying this !
Itawad

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can get a HDMI audio extractor and put it between the AppleTV and your TV, then run optical audio (5.1) from the extractor to your receiver's optical audio input.

This way you switch the receiver between inputs to get either Bluetooth sound or digital optical sound (AppleTV) as you would like. I'm assuming you want to play movies/etc. through the AppleTV.

Obviously, you could also just get a second streaming device like a Roku and run that through your receiver as well.

Your receiver: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/harman-kardon-avr-247-review/

It only has a couple of HDMI inputs, but it is fine for 1080p video I expect to any television without doing upgrades.

Here is an example HDMI audio extractor:

There are at on of them on Amazon, most reviews are decent. Quality can vary just a bit, but mostly it is just them failing completely due to bad power supplies and the like. For the most part, they work just fine. Oh, and the one linked has both Toslink (optical) as well as S/PDIF (coaxial) digital audio outputs, which will play nicely with your receiver.

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Thank you BMXTRIX
I have great ideas to explore.
WIll update you soon of final plan
Than you again

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Yes, based on what I read in your reply, hdmi switch maybe your only option.

Hdmi switch with a new Bluetooth device that will support hdmi or try a converter and switch

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Yes, based on what I read in your reply, hdmi switch maybe your only option.

Hdmi switch with a new Bluetooth device that will support hdmi or try a converter and switch
Thank you MacCali

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis