Multi TV set up with HDMI matrix and AVR

D

dalaniz999

Audiophyte
Looking for information on setting up 3 TV (outputs) with 3 sources ( fire stick, Roku, and Apple TV) with an AVR for sound, I would like the option to display a single source on any TV or one source on all 3 TV with sound coming through speakers connected to AVR(Onkyo ht-r380). All this is new to me and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

Thanks for any help!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Looking for information on setting up 3 TV (outputs) with 3 sources ( fire stick, Roku, and Apple TV) with an AVR for sound, I would like the option to display a single source on any TV or one source on all 3 TV with sound coming through speakers connected to AVR(Onkyo ht-r380). All this is new to me and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

Thanks for any help!
Are the displays all in one room? Will the displays have TV sound or something else? The Onkyo isn't gonna be much help FWIW and a good HDMI matrix isn't gonna be cheap at all, more expensive then the Onkyo but let's wait till we hear what you're attempting to do first.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks for any help!
That does not sound in any way possible to me. In HDMI sound and vision are inexorably linked. A TV only has one input live at a time. So if the receiver provides the sound it will provide the picture. Even assuming you cold separate it, synching the two would be a nightmare.

Splitting HDMI between sources is possible, but difficult and expensive and you run into a host of EDID conflicts.

To the inexperience this sounds like an easy option, but it is anything but.

My advice to all who propose these schemes is to have discrete systems, unless they are in the same room, and even then you still have these EDID conflicts to resolve.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If using a matrix, you would need one with EDID management control of the setup and all displays would need to have matching resolution. The headache is the audio and the lowest common denominator factor if you don't have proper EDID control. This is a feature on better HDMI matricies, but not on cheaper ones. Also, it isn't always straightforward how to setup EDID on a matrix.

So, this all said, you can do it if that's the end goal.

Sources would be plugged into the HDMI matrix and outputs to at least two TVs would be connected, then the third TV can be connected to the AV receiver, or the third TV can be connected directly to the matrix, and the AV receiver can be connected to the matrix separately for audio playback only.

I use a 16x16 HDMI matrix in my home. It includes breakaway audio and I use DSP input cards which downmix surround sound to stereo for rooms that need it, though those rooms must use separate speakers from the TVs. All of the inputs are setup to support full surround sound, and I pull a stereo downmix off for my non-surround sound rooms. The two rooms that have AVRs in them, get a output feed off the matrix that includes both audio and video and the video is passed through to the TV while the AVR handles audio to the room.

If you need 4K video, this will also increase the cost a fair bit, but it is out there. Better control system companies like Crestron and Control4 do this on a regular basis. I haven't looked into other companies with this capability. Heck, I only have 'heard' that Control4 does it. I KNOW Crestron does it as that's what I use and part of my career.

Taking a brief look online, something like this may do the trick:

Last edited:
D

dalaniz999

Audiophyte
All
Are the displays all in one room? Will the displays have TV sound or something else? The Onkyo isn't gonna be much help FWIW and a good HDMI matrix isn't gonna be cheap at all, more expensive then the Onkyo but let's wait till we hear what you're attempting to do first.
all the displays are In The same room with the AV receiver and I would prefer to have sound come out of the speakers connected to the receiver not the tv’s , I have read that I could get a 4x4 hdmi matrix and connect the 3 tv’s to the outputs and connect the sources to the input of the Matrix . If that is possible I am unclear how to get sound out of the AV Receiver if even possible?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
All

all the displays are In The same room with the AV receiver and I would prefer to have sound come out of the speakers connected to the receiver not the tv’s , I have read that I could get a 4x4 hdmi matrix and connect the 3 tv’s to the outputs and connect the sources to the input of the Matrix . If that is possible I am unclear how to get sound out of the AV Receiver if even possible?
If only you had read my post which answered everything.

D

dalaniz999

Audiophyte
Thanks for the information, Exactly what I was looking for.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis