Multi-disc DVD player reccomendation

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Multi-disc DVD player recomendation

I'm looking for a multi-disc dvd changer based solely on - "gasp!" - video quality! I'll run audio through my receiver using it's DACs so sound quality isnt as impt to me. Price, however, is. I want the Yamaha DVD-C950, but it's probably just out of my range. I'm thinking Denon DVM-1815. I'd love to get a Panasonic model that has the video quality of some of their more legendary players (eg dvd-rp56, 62, 82, dvd-s97...) but I dont know if they're changers kept up with the single disc models. I dont mind used or older models, so if you have a fav from the past, do recommend.

So, my criteria, in order of importance:
1) Video quality in progressive (tie)
2) Price (tie)
3) Ability to play many formats (ESP DVD-R, however SACD/DVD-A would be nice bonuses)
4) HDMI upconversion (certainly not a necessity at all)

Thanks!
Nick

Last edited:
B

BigGuy

Audioholic Intern
In Regards to the Denon DVM-1815, I started with that unit but had a few problems. First off, while in progressive mode (component output, no HDMI / /DVI) I found that my picture looked as thought the contrast was turned way way up, all 90% white looked like 100% white, lost a lot of detail. I sent the unit in for repair, and they said that the progressive worked fine, so I'm not sure if this is a general issue or a defective DVM-1815 that I had. The changer tray was very loud when changing disks or loading. Sound quality was fine but I use the Digital Coax out (so my experience with sound quality had little to do with the DCM-1815). I wound up getting a denon 2910 which had even worse problems and got rid of that one as well. I haven't had great luck with the denon DVD players, See what others say about the yamaha changers which I've read some good things about but never used one myself.

Brian

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for your response.
It seems every review site I hit has negative reviews for the Denon changers. That's a shame considering the reputation Denon has.

I'm hesitant to buy the C750 because although it seems like it would have a nice video section, its just so well known for its audio and that is obviously not my concern. What do you all think about the C750 v C920 (or I think C6480) for strictly video?

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Multi DVD Changer

I would also consider the Onkyo C702 six disc DVD changer. I have had it for a month now and it has a great picture as well as the ability to hold six disc as oppose to 5 on others. I also have the unit connected to my receiver via coax so my receiver is producing the sound.

The construction of the unit seem good to me. Takes up the same space as a 5 disc dvd changer. I've been impress so far.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. I actually did own that unit for a short time a while back. To be honest, I felt my Panasonic with the Faroudja chip did a better job so I stuck with it.

Anyone tried the Panasonic F87? I can't seem to find a reliable review on it anywhere.

Well, I'm a bit worried about the Denon's reliability, but it seems as though the choice is either that or the Yamaha DVD-c750 (unless the DVD-C940 would be better and I can find it at a reasonable price). Comments?

majorloser

majorloser

I have an older Yammy DVD-CX1 changer. Never had a bit of problem with it.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Most of us are still looking for that perfect player that won't break the bank. The requirements you have listed don't seem difficult just finding the player to do them well is. I do recall a thread and most agreed yamaha was a very good choice but choices for good multi players were slim:)
Put it off, till we see what direction,the new formats go!
MY 2 CENTS BILL

Last edited:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I've considered putting it off, but you know how hard that can be when you get the "new-equipment bug"! I got a recommendation on another site for the Sony DVP-CX995v. Certainly looks like a contender. Anyone used it? How about the Sony DVP-NC85H/B? Is it similar to the 400 disc?

Nick

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
nm2285 said:
Thanks for the reply. I actually did own that unit for a short time a while back. To be honest, I felt my Panasonic with the Faroudja chip did a better job so I stuck with it.

Anyone tried the Panasonic F87? I can't seem to find a reliable review on it anywhere.

Well, I'm a bit worried about the Denon's reliability, but it seems as though the choice is either that or the Yamaha DVD-c750 (unless the DVD-C940 would be better and I can find it at a reasonable price). Comments?
I own a Panny F87. I dearly love the piece. It has excellent vid and audio, and can be upgraded and tweaked aplenty. You're right, the Faroudja chip adds a lot to the Panasonic player (not stock on the F87). This is my second Panny carousel and my favorite....tho' I'd have wished for an optical out. It is quick and quiet and has been very reliable.

Good luck in your search. Be sure to give the F87 an audition.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
What kinds of upgrades have you done/would you consider doing to the panasonic? Have you compared it to any other players? ughhhh decisions...

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
The Yamaha 750 is great for video and music. It's a universal player and can be bought from reputable seller on ebay for about $150/160. Same as 950 w/o the hdmi. Component vid is good enough for me and I use it on a 7ft screen with InFocus pj. Read the older cdc750 review here on this site. Nitpicking aside I believe it will serve you well. It's great bang for buck material. I will tell you up front though it is a little slow in doing what you tell it to do as far as certain functions are concerned. Time when shuffling cd's is a bit slow, change cd/dvd load time a bit slow, and let me see...setup menu a bit confusing but it is a set and forget type situation...that's about all I can think of right now. I think it performs great and I can't live with a single disc player anymore and if I did it would be the Oppo 971(friend has one and it is very nice). Load it up and enjoy.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
nm2285 said:
What kinds of upgrades have you done/would you consider doing to the panasonic? Have you compared it to any other players? ughhhh decisions...
There are lots of upgrades available and folks to do it...tho' I'm not one of them. (A friend who works for Panasonic will be coming out one day to do said upgrades. :) ) I'm told that you can turn this dude into a $2k Linn with a couple hundred bucks in parts. I have owned or heard many brands of players. This is the best all-round, commercial quality carousel I've owned, including top-of-the-line Yamahas. Stock, it has the best audio and video for its price, hands down...<$100. They're quiet, fast, reliable, and produce quality signals with better than average transports and DACs. But that's IMHO, and I'm no pro a/v guy. You can certainly do better, but it will cost you considerably more mullah.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
My Denon 1815 has issues with locking up from time to time. My Pioneer 5-disc player (DV-C503) circa 1999/2000 has never locked up on any disc and has played thousands of discs with no issues. The old Pioneer looks better video-wise, but the Denon seems to have slightly better sound via the digital outputs. I just picked up the 1815 as a refurb from ecost a year or so back as it was a fraction of the MSRP of the unit.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
nm2285 said:
I've considered putting it off, but you know how hard that can be when you get the "new-equipment bug"! I got a recommendation on another site for the Sony DVP-CX995v. Certainly looks like a contender. Anyone used it? How about the Sony DVP-NC85H/B? Is it similar to the 400 disc?

Nick
I have a different Sony 5 disk changer model (see my signature) but in its favor I will say the following:

- There are settings for picture calibration and with my Toshiba TV display 480i as 540p, the PQ is as good as 1080i upconversion from an HD DVD player. So Picture Quality is very good.

- The unit can memorize "Resume" settings for up to 6 DVDs

- You can shuffle CD tracks or DVD chapters (nice for music DVDs)

- Displays JPEG picture files. However, resolution is better on my 19" PC monitor.

- My model does not playback DVD-A or SACD (no 5.1 multichannel analogs) but some Sony 5 disk changers do.

If you are a music lover, the 5 disk changer is wonderful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis