Multi Channel Amp Specs and Power Ratings

jgstudios

jgstudios

Audioholic Intern
Hello folks, lately I''ve been comparing 3 channel amps from Emotiva, Anthem, Monoprice, Crown, and most of the amps I look at only show power ratings for all 3 channels driven. Emotiva does include that with two of the three channels driven you derive more power, is that the case for all amps? I know that for my home AVR the specs only show specs for two channels driven and it's known that as you add speakers to the other surround channels the power is spread out among them, so the two front LR channels are pulling less than if they were the only channels.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hello folks, lately I''ve been comparing 3 channel amps from Emotiva, Anthem, Monoprice, Crown, and most of the amps I look at only show power ratings for all 3 channels driven. Emotiva does include that with two of the three channels driven you derive more power, is that the case for all amps? I know that for my home AVR the specs only show specs for two channels driven and it's known that as you add speakers to the other surround channels the power is spread out among them, so the two front LR channels are pulling less than if they were the only channels.
I would check out this part of the review. The measurements and analysis part of a Monoprice amp. I will let a person who has the tech and knowledge try to explain.

From what I've read, I think the uber expensive brands don't go too far above what their numbers state. Like McIntosh. If it say's 300w per channel, you're going to get 300w no matter how many are plugged in and whatever Ohm load it is. If someone knows more please correct me.

What kind of speakers do have? Towers, bookshelf, in-walls?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The all channel power rating on amplifiers is not a very important spec in a home theater system. Most of the required amplifying power is for the three front channels whereas the surround channels necessitate a lot less power. The only exception would be if you used the all channel stereo feature which you find on many AV receivers. So, even if the available rated power for the surround channels is only 50% of that of the main channels, that is only 3dB less and amply sufficient for all practical HT situations.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
From what I've read, I think the uber expensive brands don't go too far above what their numbers state. Like McIntosh. If it say's 300w per channel, you're going to get 300w no matter how many are plugged in and whatever Ohm load it is. If someone knows more please correct me.
They might have rated them 300 W regardless of how many channels are driven but in reality they could deliver much more if less channels are driven simultaneously. Typically you can see such numbers if you read reviews that came with measurements.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
it's known that as you add speakers to the other surround channels the power is spread out among them, so the two front LR channels are pulling less than if they were the only channels.
That is not true, not technically anyway. It is the load (example:a speaker, or a test load) that "pull" current from the amp. If the load demand is low, say a few watts typically when you are watching a 7.1 movie, your front LR will not be affected by how many channels/speakers are "pulling".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis