MTX Monitor 12 speakers need a new amp

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
A friend of mine has a pair of these that he loves (ignorance is bliss) but his receiver died. I have an old but practically new Denon S700W that I may give him. I know nothing about these speakers other than they kinda suck overall. Will this receiver be fine to power them properly? They're rated at 250w and the receiver is much lower than that.

Before the thread gets started, he's not changing his speakers. He's heard my set up, loves it, doesn't ever want to spend that kind of money. It's not really his hobby. I'm just trying to get him back to functional if possible.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The power rating for a speaker is the point at which it will fail, not how much power they need to play. Unless the old one died because he was cranking it to ear blistering levels, I would expect the S700W to work fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What sort of receiver did he have before? How loud does he listen?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
An actual 250 watts would destroy those speakers. Most manufacturers of cheap audio grossly overstate their specs because a) they aren't held accountable and b) the "bigger=better" mentality of consumers.

If your old receiver makes sound and it's free, I'm sure he will appreciate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis