MSO- Multi Sub Optimizer Beginners Thread

O

OTTOmatik

Audiophyte
Can MSO
I think that's a fair statement, yes.

MSO can determine the sub distance in your AVR (or rather the amount you need to increase or decrease the sub distance from the value that was used in the measurement). This only works with MSO "subs + mains" configurations, though, not "sub only" configurations.

This brings to mind a kind of paradox that leads to the reason why the "sub only" configurations were added. Originally, only "subs + mains" configurations were available, which do optimum integration of mains and subs. For optimum integration of mains and subs, you need to run MSO after Audyssey, because you need to have all the distance settings and EQ of the mains in place in order to get the sub distance and sub EQ in the crossover region correct. So you need to run Audyssey first. But, with multiple subs, the initial settings for individual sub delays and such may be way off, causing a large frequency response variation in the combined sub responses. Running Audyssey in this condition would cause Audyssey to make large response corrections using EQ that's common to all the subs. However, these problems are due to the subs not combining nicely, not necessarily due to some problem that should be fixed by applying aggressive common EQ. To get them to combine nicely, you want to run MSO first and Audyssey last. :) So the "sub only" configuration type was created. The idea is to get the subs playing together nicely before running Audyssey, so Audyssey doesn't need to EQ the combined sub responses very much at all.

However, Audyssey tends to do a poor job determining the sub distance, so this now leaves the issue of optimizing the sub distance unaddressed. Some people have run MSO a second time with a "mains + subs" configuration after running Audyssey, but this is somewhat overkill for just a distance adjustment. Dirac users have found that Dirac does a very good job determining the sub distance, so they don't have to mess with it any further. Another option is to do a variant of the manual "sub distance tweak", using the REW RTA with a periodic pink noise source ("pink PN") to measure and observe changes in the combined mains and subs' response in real time. One can adjust the sub distance and observe the response changes in real time due to these changes. REW author John Mulcahy has posted the REW RTA settings for this scenario. This is one we may have to play by ear. I haven't had to deal with this myself, as I'm a two-channel guy and I only do EQ below 200 Hz - no room correction.
Can MSO be used for a mixed setup of sealed and ported subs..

imral3

imral3

Audiophyte
Can MSO be used with only one measurement location? I am a two channel music listener with four subwoofers in my listening room but, only one chair. I've measured using REW (with acoustic timing reference) and a UMIK-1. I've run the info through MSO several times and loaded it into my miniDSP 2x4HD, including manual entry of gain and delay levels, but can never get anything remotely close to the MSO prediction, or even a flat response when measured.

A

audioguy123

Audiophyte
Does MSO depend on the initial measurements coming from REW or is the use of other systems which also produces .frd files possible - like OmniMic?

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Does MSO depend on the initial measurements coming from REW or is the use of other systems which also produces .frd files possible - like OmniMic?
It depends on the measurements from REW to my knowledge. For what it’s worth it did improve my MSV from 14hz-150hz down to -/+2.0dB

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis