S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Is in the hands of my dealer. Just paid for and will schedule for install shortly.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I now have the AVR installed. Anyone want the old Yamaha?

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Some initial thoughts. This new AVR has way more power than the old Yamaha RX-V663 that I had. Even at lower volumes the audio is so much more robust that my neighbor above me is being rattled. And in surround sound the new MRX-740 Anthem unit is great. I did though however upgrade my rear surrounds the the Prestige 25S from the old ADP-190's I had. We were unable to dial in the ARC though due to a severe bug that Anthem has promised to fix very shortly. As I am probably one of the first to get one of these units, I am very happy with this new AVR and it is definitely an upgrade.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha RX-V663 $600: 246 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms 1% THD
Anthem MRX 1120 $3500: 243 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms 1% THD
Anthem MRX 710 $2000: 223 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms 1% THD

I don't know about either Anthem AVRs having WAY more power than the $600 Yamaha AVR. Based on the S&V measurements, the Yamaha RX-V663 has more power output into 4 ohms @ 1% THD than both the Anthem AVRs.

Last edited:
D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Some initial thoughts. This new AVR has way more power than the old Yamaha RX-V663 that I had. Even at lower volumes the audio is so much more robust that my neighbor above me is being rattled. And in surround sound the new MRX-740 Anthem unit is great. I did though however upgrade my rear surrounds the the Prestige 25S from the old ADP-190's I had. We were unable to dial in the ARC though due to a severe bug that Anthem has promised to fix very shortly. As I am probably one of the first to get one of these units, I am very happy with this new AVR and it is definitely an upgrade.
Hopefully they get ARC fixed soon. Hard to believe they would let any out the door without it working. Enjoy your new toy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha RX-V663 $600: 246 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms 1% THD
Anthem MRX 1120 $3500: 243 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms 1% THD
Anthem MRX 710 $2000: 223 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms 1% THD

I don't know about the either Anthem AVRs having WAY more power than the $600 Yamaha AVR.
Even if we ignore those S&V tests as potentially suspicious on rare occasions, I always find it weird that people hear better things, in this case more robust.., and "even at lower volume.....". It is always a good thing though, that people spent more money on new gear and are happy to hear better things.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even if we ignore those S&V tests as potentially suspicious on rare occasions, I always find it weird that people hear better things, in this case more robust.., and "even at lower volume.....". It is always a good thing though, that people spent more money on new gear and are happy to hear better things.;)
Hearing better things and more details and sweetness at LOWER volume (= 1 watt power) is definitely the key. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hearing better things and more details and sweetness at LOWER volume (= 1 watt power) is definitely the key. :D
In this case the op is obviously talking about movies, surround sound, upgraded speakers etc etc... so many variables aside from the usual level mismatch often cited.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Note in a prior thread I had trouble trying to reset up the Yamaha when I bought the new speakers. My eyes are not as young as I used to have when I was younger. The text of the manual was too small for me to see clearly, glasses or no glasses, what I saw of the menuing system displayed on my TV when in the AVR was poorly laid out, and did not have explanation. I needed help and could not get it with the AVR. The new MRX-740 has a clean and easy to read web layout, the menuing system through the TFT screen is light years easier to read and navigate, and the AVR senses and adjusts for the signal being played automatically making it much easier than the old Yamaha RX-V663 to use. Also the volume control on the new MRX has a greater dynamic range to my ears and it is easier to adjust due to an easier to read layout for my eyes. Plus the old Yamaha could not be upgraded and some of the newer audio I have needed an upgrade for the encoding. From my perspective the MRX-740 in multiple ways exceeds the old RX-V663. Yes it was more, but IMHO worth it. Plus I got away from YPAO which I despise!

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
In this case the op is obviously talking about movies, surround sound, upgraded speakers etc etc... so many variables aside from the usual level mismatch often cited.
Could not have said it better myself. Many variables add into the overall experience including updated capability as I laid out in a prior post in this thread. It is not just the amplification.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was reading this and wondering how the Yamaha has more power even though is advertised rated power is 95w, so I had to take a look. Things that I took into consideration:
  • The Anthem MRX 740 has slightly more powerful amplification than the MRX 710 (140w vs 120w)
  • There are no benchmarks for the newer unit. Anthem just updated their website in the past week, because those numbers were not even there last week.
  • Paradigm speakers are compatible 8 ohms, so that where I compared the two
  • When you compare the two in 5/7 multichannel, the power advantage is changes in favor of the Anthem
On Paper it (newer 740) looks slightly more powerful (95w vs 140w), but no real world benchmarks are out.

Yamaha RX-V663
2 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 166.7 watts and 1% distortion at 190.7
5 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 60.0 watts and 1% distortion at 74.9 watts
7 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 47.3 watts and 1% distortion at 57.8 watts.

Anthem MRX-710
2 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 118.5 watts 1% distortion at 138.2 watts
5 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 102.4 watts 1% distortion at 114.8 watts
7 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 75.2 watts 1% distortion at 90.1 watts

What is apparent is that the Yamaha has more power at 2channel, but then drops more steeply than the Anthem. Also considering that the Yamaha is a few years old and about $1400 cheaper, it's by no means a fair comparison. What is also apparent is that I have no idea how much louder it would sounds in multi channel lol.

Last edited:
S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I am driving a 7.1 system

Speakers are as follows and are all Paradigm.

800F Premier (pair) fronts
45C Prestige center
Mini Monitor v5 (pair) surround
25S Prestige (pair) rear surround
Defiance X12 subwoofer.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was reading this and wondering how the Yamaha has more power even though is advertised rated power is 95w, so I had to take a look. Things that I took into consideration:
  • The Anthem MRX 740 has slightly more powerful amplification than the MRX 710 (140w vs 120w)
  • There are no benchmarks for the newer unit. Anthem just updated their website in the past week, because those numbers were not even there last week.
  • Paradigm speakers are compatible 8 ohms, so that where I compared the two
  • When you compare the two in 5/7 multichannel, the power advantage is changes in favor of the Anthem
On Paper it (newer 740) looks slightly more powerful (95w vs 140w), but no real world benchmarks are out.

Yamaha RX-V663
2 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 166.7 watts and 1% distortion at 190.7
5 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 60.0 watts and 1% distortion at 74.9 watts
7 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 47.3 watts and 1% distortion at 57.8 watts.

Anthem MRX-710
2 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 118.5 watts 1% distortion at 138.2 watts
5 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 102.4 watts 1% distortion at 114.8 watts
7 Channels Driven 0.1% distortion at 75.2 watts 1% distortion at 90.1 watts

What is apparent is that the Yamaha has more power at 2channel, but then drops more steeply than the Anthem. Also considering that the Yamaha is a few years old and about $1400 cheaper, it's by no means a fair comparison. What is also apparent is that I have no idea how much louder it would sounds in multi channel lol.
In my opinion, Yamaha is very smart this way, they know the 5,7 channel driven conditions are not that important most of the time for real world enjoyment. So to avoid warranty claims, they design the protection circuit to trip at very conservatory output under 5 and 7 channel driven conditions. Actually Anthem is like that too, ie., do it the smart way, but not to the extent Yamaha did. You can see that in S&V bench test result for the older MRX units they measured.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Oh, further testing caused me to turn down the subwoofer. To much low end made my ears ache. That dial in was helpful to make it more enjoyable to me. I still get plenty in the bass department.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In my opinion, Yamaha is very smart this way, they know the 5,7 channel driven conditions are not that important most of the time for real world enjoyment. So to avoid warranty claims, they design the protection circuit to trip at very conservatory output under 5 and 7 channel driven conditions. Actually Anthem is like that too, ie., do it the smart way, but not to the extent Yamaha did. You can see that in S&V bench test result for the older MRX units they measured.
Thanks for saving me the time by talking about that ACD fallacy. Again. And again. And again. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for saving me the time by talking about that ACD fallacy. Again. And again. And again. :D
Tell that to TLSGuy:p.. It doesn't matter though as I know we are right, I have measurements using more than 1, 2 movies to back it up haha..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Tell that to TLSGuy:p.. It doesn't matter though as I know we are right, I have measurements using more than 1, 2 movies to back it up haha..
He thinks all AVRS are crap and can't power any speakers anyway - surrounds or mains. :D

And yeah, I bet even those surround speakers need 200WPC. :eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He thinks all AVRS are crap and can't power any speakers anyway - surrounds or mains. :D

And yeah, I bet even those surround speakers need 200WPC. :eek:
Well some surrounds are very low sensitivity and may be at great distance from the listening position and they like the multich stereo setting?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis