B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nowdays, just about any movie with an active LFE track digs very low. It's not just action flicks either..........
It's horror/suspense/animated/thriller/fantasy...etc, etc...etc.....

Like somebody else mentioned, even movies like The Grudge(ones you wouldnt expect) have incredible bass.

It seems that the only new movies "without" incredible lows these days in their LFE tracks are some of the comedy or independent flicks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MACCA350 said:
War Of The Worlds, right at the start when Tom Cruze is walking off the job and talking to his boss, as a couple of truck pass in front of the screen.
Was demoing this for a friend this weekend and decided to check out this scene you're talking about. Not sure what you are referring to, as I didn't hear any LFE at all in that particular scene compared to the at least dozen or so other scenes that clearly have TONS of LFE going on.

The Grudge has some nice deep, "ominous" tones in it and I like that in a horror flick. Boogeyman had a few great LFE scenes too (too bad it wasn't a better movie).

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The Exorcism of Emily Rose has quite a bit of background LFE, almost subliminal, just there to make you uncomfortable. I'd guess there were tones ranging from 18 - 25hz.

M

merv43

Enthusiast
how about house of flying daggers, the drum scene. You must have the asian dts versions, this is just fun. The scene were he throws the whole bowl of beans and the girl begins hitting the drums, about half way through this scene she hits a drum so hard that it makes your eyes shake!!! it is flat out awsome.

C

cyberbri

Banned
j_garcia said:
The US release has the DTS track on it as well.

I think you have that confused with Hero.
The R1 HoFD is supposed to have a "remixed" DD track, but no DTS.
House of Flying Daggers, R3 Edko 2-disk, full bit-rate DTS = very nice. :)

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
OK, I admit that I am still trying to figure you guys out, so bear with me here. The question is, which movies have soundtracks that go below the hearing of the human ear? I guess the first question would be , why, has your dog been bored? My second question would be, how would you know? Do you guys watch movies with an SPL?? I,m sorry, but unless I'm missing something, this is a funny question. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
~JC~ said:
OK, I admit that I am still trying to figure you guys out, so bear with me here. The question is, which movies have soundtracks that go below the hearing of the human ear? I guess the first question would be , why, has your dog been bored? My second question would be, how would you know? Do you guys watch movies with an SPL?? I,m sorry, but unless I'm missing something, this is a funny question. :D
You can feel bass under 20Hz. I take it you haven't played with a signal generator? Its pretty easy to hear (or feel) what a certain frequency sounds like, and then see if you hear one.

Yep, missing something.

SheepStar

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Or take the grill off your sub, you'll soon see the cone pumping on sub 20Hz material even if you cant hear it.

Play the 'DTS Demo DVD #9' track 'SWEDISH RADIO / THE RUN' when he is running through the wind tunnel, It shakes my projector(and the on-screen image), look at the workout your sub is getting, you'll see what I mean:D

cheers:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
cyberbri said:
I think you have that confused with Hero.
The R1 HoFD is supposed to have a "remixed" DD track, but no DTS.
House of Flying Daggers, R3 Edko 2-disk, full bit-rate DTS = very nice. :)
I believe you are right. I checked IMDB and it is Chinese DD, not DTS. I'm going to check the disc though, because I noticed the English dub doesn't sound nearly as good as the Chinese one.

~JC~ said:
What Sheep said. That leads me to believe you haven't felt the impact of a sub that has good output down into the mid to low teens :) Most people are really surprised when they experience it for the first time and how much it really does add to the realism of the movie.

Last edited:
C

cyberbri

Banned
j_garcia said:
I believe you are right. I checked IMDB and it is Chinese DD, not DTS. I'm going to check the disc though, because I noticed the English dub doesn't sound nearly as good as the Chinese one.
I read a few reviews to the same effect. The DD seemed to be souped up over the original DD, while the sound on the English dub track wasn't nearly as good.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
OK, I get it, the Thumping sensation from the sub is (that hits you in the chest, so to speak) is below 20hz. Makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

I take it you haven't played with a signal generator?

No, but I think I'll ask for one next Christmas!;)

C

cyberbri

Banned
~JC~ said:
I take it you haven't played with a signal generator?

No, but I think I'll ask for one next Christmas!;)

Hook up your PC and get a free software tone generator.
I use an HTPC for most of my DVD playback anyway, so calibrating my display and running test tones is a cinch.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can also download MP3s of pretty much any frequency as well as sweeps that you like, for calibration purposes for free. "Kick you in the chest" doesn't happen below 20Hz, that is generally higher up around the 40-80Hz range.

C

cyberbri

Banned
j_garcia said:
You can also download MP3s of pretty much any frequency as well as sweeps that you like, for calibration purposes for free. "Kick you in the chest" doesn't happen below 20Hz, that is generally higher up around the 40-80Hz range.

Yup and yup.

I think sub-20Hz is the "feel the room pressurize" range, while the kick drum "chest slam" is in the higher audible mid-bass. That slam goes away if you have dips in the 60-100Hz range. Of course 30-60Hz can be pretty powerful as well.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
j_garcia wrote:
Originally Posted by MACCA350
War Of The Worlds, right at the start when Tom Cruze is walking off the job and talking to his boss, as a couple of truck pass in front of the screen.
Was demoing this for a friend this weekend and decided to check out this scene you're talking about. Not sure what you are referring to, as I didn't hear any LFE at all in that particular scene compared to the at least dozen or so other scenes that clearly have TONS of LFE going on.

The Grudge has some nice deep, "ominous" tones in it and I like that in a horror flick. Boogeyman had a few great LFE scenes too (too bad it wasn't a better movie).
This is whats happening at that scene, end of chapter 1, 15Hz at 4min 45sec

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Debbie Does Dallas,must have something under 20Hz? Hum? What part do you suppose that would be? Is that a pun?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MACCA350 said:
j_garcia wrote:

This is whats happening at that scene, end of chapter 1, 15Hz at 4min 45sec

I still didn't FEEL anything in that scene, like I did in many other obvious scenes in that movie is what I'm getting at. I have a subsonic filter at 14Hz, so I should be feeling some activation in the room if it is something sustainable, and I'm not.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
Hitchhikers Guide for sure. The spaceship 'rumble'...

My wife was like: "What the heck is that? It's making me qeasy." I rewound to ensure it was indeed the sub. Her response "STOP IT!"

Darned if I could hear it, but I could definitely feel it and the pictures were definitely rattling on the wall.
What sub did you use, thje 16-46 plus would be great for this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis