Move to 4K question

Z

zer0end

Enthusiast
I'm purchasing my first 4K TV soon and I have a question about setup. I'm using an Outlaw 975 for my processor and I'm very happy with it, even though I know it doesn't do 4K video. What are my options for setup with this TV without buying a new receiver/processor? The only device that I will be using with the TV is a PS5, which I know only has one HDMI port. Is there some 4K video splitter that I could buy that wouldn't degrade the quality?

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Something like this could help though it may only pass 4k60 to your tv and not higher frame rates.

There may be cheap splitters at Monoproce that could do it too.

That or if you are okay with lossy audio plug the ps5 into the tv and connect the tv to avr via optical. This is a simple and good solution.

(Your AVR can support ARC as well, but that doesn't offer higher quality than optical and in my experience can be more finicky than just using an optical cable.)

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are a number of splitter/scalers on the market which may work out nicely for you. The EZCOO stuff is also recommended and does a good job.

But, I would probably just use the optical audio output from the TV to the receiver for the time being. See how happy you are with the sound, then decide if you want to spend more on a HDMI scaler/splitter unit.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
975 Supports HDMI with ARC. You could just connect PS5 to the TV and use ARC to push the sound to 975.
The limitation of ARC is it doesn't support HD Audio nor Atmos formats, but PCM 2ch, DD 5.1, and maybe DTS 5.1.
Newer eARC solves many of the original ARC issues, but 975 only does regular old ARC.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, no telling unless he tries the ARC connection. ARC can handle DD+ with atmos metadata on more recent gear but the older Outlaw will probably be limited to the formats listed above. Unlike eARC, HDMI-CEC will have to be enabled for ARC to work.

Z

zer0end

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to connect an optical because I was going to use the PS5 as my UHD player, and optical doesn't decode the high res movie soundtracks. If the PS5 had two HDMI ports, I would be fine but sadly it does not. I looked at Outlaw's outlet page and they used to make a 4K splitter specifically made to work with the 975 for 4K, but they are currently sold out. I was going to give them a call and find out if they plan to make any more of them.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I haven't tried the EZCOO stuff but that looks like the best value. I have used the HD Fury devices but those cost at much as buying a proper receiver.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm purchasing my first 4K TV soon and I have a question about setup. I'm using an Outlaw 975 for my processor and I'm very happy with it, even though I know it doesn't do 4K video. What are my options for setup with this TV without buying a new receiver/processor? The only device that I will be using with the TV is a PS5, which I know only has one HDMI port. Is there some 4K video splitter that I could buy that wouldn't degrade the quality?
Well, as someone said, you have to run the PS5 directly to the TV. Run HDMI from the ARC on the TV to the ARC on the processor and then all other devices to the processor via HDMI. Don't worry about not having eARC for uncompressed audio (Dolby Atmos) because that's not available right now from any streaming services.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis