Motorola DCT6412 SPDIF Sound Issue

M

mw86

Enthusiast
Has anyone had problems with the STB volume control when using digital coax or digital optical w/ Moto's DCT 6000 series DVR's? I have the digital coax running straight into my receiver's SPDIF input. The sound works, but I have to control the volume with my receiver :)mad: major pain when channel surfing between HD & SD). Using the Moto's volume adjustment does nothing, except the MUTE, that seems to work.

Seems like it shouldn't matter whether the STB audio routes through my receiver or TV, it should still work. At least it did previously when I had the Stereo L/R running straight into my receiver.

I can't seem to find anything in the setup menus of the 6412. My cable provider is pretty much incompetent so I'm hoping someone has a fix. Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The volume control on the set top box doesn't affect the digital outs because the signal is just sent straight out.

If you use the analog outs, the cable box will only affect the volume if it is set to variable out (not fixed). That is a nightmare if you connect analog cables from the cable box directly to the tv because you now have two volume controls to contend with - the cable box and the tv - turn either one all the way down and you get no sound.

The solution for always controlling the receiver volume is a good universal remote that allows you to 'punch thru' the receiver volume to any mode. My remote controls the volume of the receiver regardless of which mode it is in; ie if I have the remote in dvd mode to use dvd commands, the volume control still affects the receiver only.

M

mw86

Enthusiast
Thanks MDS. Didn't know that about digital audio on STB's.

This might belong in a different thread but do you have any recommendations for a good universal remote? I figured it was time to start investigating but there's so many options & opinions. So far I've looked at Logitech Harmony 520, Home Theater Master MX-500 and One for All Kameleon 6/8. Would like to spend < $150, must have tactile buttons (GFAF) and must be backlit. Also, any good retailers outside of the MegaChains? Thanks again.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I prefer the Home Theater Master remotes. I used to have an MX-500, but now have an MX-350. Even at full retail, the MX-350 comes in under your budget - I think I paid $125. They still make the MX-500 and they can be found new for around $80, but the few extra bucks for the MX-350 is worth it, IMO. There are a few improvements in the new models that I like compared to the MX-500.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis