Most Overrated DVD?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
another deleted scene

The worst offender of all cutting room victims is the 10 seconds deleted from Big Trouble In Little China where Kim Cattrall (KIM CATTRALL) casually mentions she had missionary parents and was born in China. Without that little tidbit, we are left to wonder WTF her having green eyes meant anything at all to Lo Pan.... After all, he needed a Chinese girl with green eyes !!!! Kim just don't look Chinese. How much could John Carpenter have possibly saved by cutting 10 seconds that were so important to the story line ?

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Dan said:
I will ring in that I love the LOTR DVDs. For movies that long I gotta have a pause button to take a pi$$. Can't do that in the theater. But then I liked the books too. While the books are better, I can't think of a better movie from a book ever.
The Godfather (I & II) are probably the best book adaptations ever, period. You cannot tell what was left out of the book.

Leprkon said:
The worst offender of all cutting room victims is the 10 seconds deleted from Big Trouble In Little China where Kim Cattrall (KIM CATTRALL) casually mentions she had missionary parents and was born in China. Without that little tidbit, we are left to wonder WTF her having green eyes meant anything at all to Lo Pan.... After all, he needed a Chinese girl with green eyes !!!! Kim just don't look Chinese. How much could John Carpenter have possibly saved by cutting 10 seconds that were so important to the story line ?

This movie had a story line? Does Lo Pan have a teflon non stick coating for low dialectric? :D

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Mudcat said:
This movie had a story line? Does Lo Pan have a teflon non stick coating for low dialectric? :D
1. compared to Unbreakable and Starship Troopers, it was a literary masterpiece :)

2. he does, but he can't sell it, as he is being sued because if you use all the letters in Monster Cable Company Incorporated and divide them up, you can spell Lo Pan. :D

B

bobman1235

Audioholic Intern
Leprkon said:
I give you so many points for putting in a Big Trouble in LIttle China reference here, adn then double those points because you actually know the plot line of the movie.

Not that these "points" are redeemable in any way....

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
no double bonus for squeezing in the MST 3000 reference as well ? :cool:

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
the matrix

While I can understand why people might not like the The Matrix, I feel it is an important film historically speaking. Much lkie Star Wars, it introduced many new things to film that had never been done before. Think of how many movies were influenced by techniques used in each of these films. I guess it all goes back to how you are defining "overrated", but two groundbreaking films have been mentioned here as such.

Here are some quick thoughts about some previously mentioned things in this thread.

Titanic was overrated.

The Indiana Jones movies were a huge disappointment in their transfer quality.

The later Batman sequels, which came out before the sucess of X-men, were evidence of garbage long before the comic genre caught on again. Ever see the first Punisher (1989) movie, with Dolf Lungren?

If you are tired of movies for their reference content, then maybe you need to stop trying to mpress by referencing them, and instead watch them as the director intended. Try using something like Super Speedway, or some other IMAX presentation for that sort of thing instead. Just a suggestion.

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
My Opinion

Just my opinion but ...

1. Gladiator. Best picture? You've got to be kidding me. There is NO PLOT and the acting is one dimensional. Nicely filmed, though. Got a DVD for a XMAS gift and still haven't opened it.

2. Star Wars. Any of 'em, but esp Eps I and II. I saw the original Ep. IV in Westwood many times; stood in line for hours. Loved it! But as a DVD ... well, there's simply no reason to watch the movies again (except that my 4 year-old son is a SW nut and demanded that we get the 3 pack, even though he's not allowed to watch certain parts...)

Now, how about most UNDERRATED DVDs? You know, the ones that you watch over and over again but nobody else appreciates?

1. Pulp Fiction.
2. Groundhog Day.
3. West Wing Seasons 1 and 2. Best DVD money I ever spent, in terms of dollars per hour of enjoyment.
4. Babylon 5 Seasons 2 - 4. The FX are started to look dated, and the acting is "spotty" at best ... but simply the best science fiction ever shown on TV.
5. SLC Punk. It might be me, but why wasn't this a hit?

Looking for other's opinions, sans flames please.

Zarg

Rob Babcock said:
I mean, how many times can you watch the Podrace scene from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace before you pull all your hair out?
FWIW I don't so much watch that scene as I like to listen to it...

And I personally thought Starship Troopers is one of the best movies - but you have to "get" the humor. If you're not laughing through it, you don't get it.

LOTR overrated...? I definitely don't agree. That's about the best 10+ hours of film I've ever seen.

As for my favorites - I still say that The Fifth Element is the greatest movie ever made.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah, I also loved Starship Troopers. It does have a grim sense of humor that I get a big kick out of. Unbreakable was also excellent IMO, certainly Night's best film to date.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Dan said:
I can't think of a better movie from a book ever.
Basically every movie is better than the book. A book takes a crapload of time to read and and a movie takes less than two hours normally and gets the point across just about as well.

And the winner is..... movies.

Tired of this "books are better crap"

-Chad

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
Yeah, I also loved Starship Troopers. It does have a grim sense of humor that I get a big kick out of. Unbreakable was also excellent IMO, certainly Night's best film to date.
S/T- the worst acting this side of William Shatner, virtually no story line, bugs who fart explosives, fleets of ships who do nothing but run into each other (twice), Denise Richards wearing clothes, Clancy Brown on the "good" side- these all add up to a very bad movie.. if you liked the movie, you must be watching nothing but the shower scene

Unbreakable- yawwwwwnnnnnnnnnn. has anything happened yet ?? oh the movie is over... and NOTHING has happened yet.... five years after the film was over... STILL waiting for something, anything to happen... the only film besides Gladiator more boring and painful to watch then Dangerous Liaisons

compared to the Fifth Element, the Usual Suspects, and the Princess Bride (admit it, you loved that movie), Starship Troopers and Unbreakable are DVD's you use to teach your dog to catch frisbees.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I have to disagree with all of you on the Fifth Element. I thought the movie was terrible. I would rather watch Starship Troopers to be honest with you. I like how it makes fun of military Propaganda. However, I do not own either of these movies. I stopped buying movies based on their ability to show off a HT. Even at that there are several other movies that cover both areas: good demo material and a good plot. Sorry I don't think either Starship or Fifth Element have a good plot.

Thats just my take, no need to argue with me. I am sure I have a few favorites that no one else here likes.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Fifth Element is one of those movies that you either love or hate. I love it and my wife hates it ;) There doesn't seem to be much middle ground on this movie.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Leprkon said:
Unbreakable- yawwwwwnnnnnnnnnn. has anything happened yet ?? oh the movie is over... and NOTHING has happened yet.... five years after the film was over... STILL waiting for something, anything to happen... the only film besides Gladiator more boring and painful to watch then Dangerous Liaisons
I have a suggestion, Leprkon- why don't you just rip all your DVDs to the HD, then just burn the 15 minutes of fighting & screwing from each one onto a blank disc! None of that pesky plot or character developement for you. ;)

But at least we agree on one thing; I've seen The Princess Bride over sixty times.

Eh, no need to get mean over personal preference... but I really didn't care for Unbreakable, which I felt really went nowhere. I could never understand how both psychic ability and the unbreakable nature were simultaneously found in one person... seemed unrealistic, even in a suspended belief sort of way. Just as he discovered his power, the movie ended. And he fought the last end scene like a girl - latch on and don't let go... Throw a punch or something. :)

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I thought it was kinda weak. It's a renter. I rented it and will say that when he is walking through that terminal and bumping into people, there are some awesome bass hits. Really low, deep, powerful pounding. That was the time my Velodyne HGS-18 knocked a picture off the wall. Now that picture triple hung. ;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I suppose in another kind of movie, he'd have knitted himself a red jumpsuit & patrolled the city fighting crime. And he'd instantly be a black belt in kung fu the minute he discovered his powers, too, like all superheroes. I like that it wasn't that kind of movie. Oh well, to each his own. I liked it better than The Sixth Sense, but that's just me. Still, I find it a head scratcher that it could make anyones list of the most overrated discs, since it's not widely praised or anything. I've never once read anyone claiming to use it as a reference disc. On the other hand, how many million times has the PM Podrace been run in dealer demos? Have many times have you seen Neo shoot up the lobby in the Matrix? Or the annoying wailing of the Diva in The Fifth Element?

Of course, the original post said you can choose "overrated" by any criteria you like. But just listing movies you don't like that happen to be on DVD doesn't really speak to the topic.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
definition of "overrated" - that which does not achieve what it claims to be

an action superhero movie (go back and watch the trailers) with no action and a superhero who has to be pulled out of a swimming pool really doesn't qualify as an action superhero movie......

the movie was made ONLY because of the bucks Shamalalalala raked in on 6th Sense (and admittedly most of his following movies that were really good too). If it had been made by nearly any other director on the planet, it would have been straight to TV, assuming it wasn't laughed out of the original production meeting.

I guess another example of this would be "Ransom" which was trailer'd on the premise that a guy would rather put a bounty on kidnappers than pay the ransom (this particular thread lasted about a minute and a half in the story line and Gibson was a whiney snivelling loser the remaining hundred minutes or so).

If you are going to pitch a movie on a premise, you ought to at least live up to your premise.

And just for the record, you can get rid of all the minutes in Star Wars with that stupid kid.. he wasn't annoying in just the pod race.

Last edited:
rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I think M. Night Shyamalan movies leave more to the imagination than most movies today. I thought Signs would have been a great movie if he hadn't put in the last scene with the alien and the little boy. (I know it helps tie the whole movie together, I just think the alien was much scarier in my imagination than it was in the movie.)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It came out long enough ago that I don't remember the TV ads and such, but I don't recall any mention whatsoever that it was supposed to be a superhero movie. And it's really not in any conventional way. Sure, Mr. Glass is a comics fan, but that's about it. Oh, well. Not everyone gets the same stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis