TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A friend who knows the jargon told me that my port is actually 2" H X 9" W X 12" D. I tried sending you the crossover, but the KBs vastly exceed the amount allowed - I had to scan them.

I'm 61 yrs. old and like nearly all music but hard rock and rap. Barry Manilow, Queen, Paul Anka, Roy Orbison, opera, etc. is my style.
That is more like it. Those dimensions are just about spot on! Let's have a look at the crossover, I will send you a PM so you can Email it to me.

M

Moron

Enthusiast
Thank you TLS Guy

TLS Guy (Dr. Mark Carter),

I can barely believe the sound of my "new" stereo system. The crossovers you designed and made, and your suggestion of removing about half of the insulation, has turned a rinky-dink system into a concert of beautiful music. I can now easily understand voices - which I couldn't before - and the music is beautiful, AND, you saved me hundreds of dollars, because the bass is so much deeper and clearer that I don't feel the need of a subwoofer. I use the stereo soley for music and TV.

I paid a considerable amount of money to have a "professional" chief engineer of an audio company design the cabinets and crossovers for my componts, and the sound was pretty lousy: Couldn't understand voices and pretty much a jumble of music. Seemed like the tweeters and woofers were in conflict.

As I admitted, I'm a moron regarding the topic of stereos, so I have no idea what the terms you used mean, or why your crossovers have made such a difference, but the sound that my speakers now reproduce is stunning. I had no idea a home stereo system could produce such beautiful music.

It's easy to understand how you produced an award winning system of your own.

Thanks for you help, Mark.

Don

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy (Dr. Mark Carter),

I can barely believe the sound of my "new" stereo system. The crossovers you designed and made, and your suggestion of removing about half of the insulation, has turned a rinky-dink system into a concert of beautiful music. I can now easily understand voices - which I couldn't before - and the music is beautiful, AND, you saved me hundreds of dollars, because the bass is so much deeper and clearer that I don't feel the need of a subwoofer. I use the stereo soley for music and TV.

I paid a considerable amount of money to have a "professional" chief engineer of an audio company design the cabinets and crossovers for my componts, and the sound was pretty lousy: Couldn't understand voices and pretty much a jumble of music. Seemed like the tweeters and woofers were in conflict.

As I admitted, I'm a moron regarding the topic of stereos, so I have no idea what the terms you used mean, or why your crossovers have made such a difference, but the sound that my speakers now reproduce is stunning. I had no idea a home stereo system could produce such beautiful music.

It's easy to understand how you produced an award winning system of your own.

Thanks for you help, Mark.

Don
Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you are happy with your new speakers. With those drivers you should have a world class set of speakers.

It is reassuring to know that you can now enjoy them, that speech is intelligible, and you no longer feel the need for a sub.

I know you have recorded a response of +/- 1.5 db across the crossover region. The box tuning frequency is as predicted, and you have significant bass output to 30 Hz.

I will post the details of the transformation of your speakers later, and may be bounce the thread to the DIY forum. It is an interesting case study.

It was with some trepidation that I approached this project, but when I saw the crossover circuit, I knew it would be hard to make things much worse.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Don's inquiry was one of those unusual posts that come along, and present an unusual opportunity to make a big impact on a members system. One of the gratifying aspects of this story is the great improvement was obtained for little money.

The story I think will be of interest to out DIY community, and I'm bouncing this post to the DIY forum.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis