More questions about digital connections.

C

cmaurin

Enthusiast
After reading other posts, I am still confused about using the digital out connections of a DVD player. My main goal is the have an AV receiver that basically does everything for me (i.e., video switching, audio decoding for DVD and CDs, etc.). The way I understand it is that if I were to connect my DVD player into my receiver via the digital out jacks, I would be using the DVD player mainly as a transport only and the receiver as the DAC. So basically regardless of what kind of processing the DVD player may have built-in, I would be by-passing it completely and using whatever processing the receiver had (i.e., DTS, Pro-logic, HDCD, etc.). Is this correct? If so here are few more questions :)

I also want to listen to CDs using the DVD player. If my receiver can decode HDCD, but my DVD player cannot, I will still be able to utilize this format because I will be using the receiver’s processing? The same would be true for surround formats on DVDs, correct?

Finally, is there a difference (if any) by using coax digital cables vs. the fiber optic cables? It would seem that optic cables would be less prone to interference, but I am only guessing. Thanks for the additional help.
:) :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
cmaurin said:
The way I understand it is that if I were to connect my DVD player into my receiver via the digital out jacks, I would be using the DVD player mainly as a transport only and the receiver as the DAC. So basically regardless of what kind of processing the DVD player may have built-in, I would be by-passing it completely and using whatever processing the receiver had (i.e., DTS, Pro-logic, HDCD, etc.). Is this correct?
Correct for Dolby Digital, DTS, and CD.

cmaurin said:
I also want to listen to CDs using the DVD player. If my receiver can decode HDCD, but my DVD player cannot, I will still be able to utilize this format because I will be using the receiver’s processing? The same would be true for surround formats on DVDs, correct?
About HDCD, I believe you are correct, but I'm not 100% certain.

If you mean DVD-A or SACD when you say "surround formats on DVD", a digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver cannot handle that. For those formats, you must have a player that has on-board processing and you must use 6 RCA type interconnects to send the 5.1 channels of analog audio signals to your receiver. Did you mean that, or something else?

cmaurin said:
Finally, is there a difference (if any) by using coax digital cables vs. the fiber optic cables? It would seem that optic cables would be less prone to interference, but I am only guessing. Thanks for the additional help.
In practice there is no functional difference between coax digital cables and fiber optic cables. Use whichever is cheaper or more convenient. I have found that coaxial cable is somewhat more flexibile than the fiber optic cable. Any 75 ohm video type coaxial cable with RCA terminals can be used either as a video cable or a digital cable. Other than the color coding on the RCA terminals, they are identical. As far as interference, any electromagnetic signal that could be picked up by a coax cable carrying digital information would not be seen by a digital to analog converter. You shouldn't hear it.

C

cmaurin

Enthusiast
"If you mean DVD-A or SACD when you say "surround formats on DVD", a digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver cannot handle that. For those formats, you must have a player that has on-board processing and you must use 6 RCA type interconnects to send the 5.1 channels of analog audio signals to your receiver. Did you mean that, or something else?"

(Sorry don't know how to quote previous messages) Thanks for clearing things up. I did not necessarily mean DVD-A or SACD, but other surround sound formats available on some movie DVDs. Which I see you answered saying I will have to hookup the 5.1 with audio cables to the AVR from the DVD. I assume these hookups are done with standard RCA audio cables?

U

Unregistered

Swerd has given you the right information. Just make sure you go into the dvd player's setup menu and set it to 'bitstream' NOT PCM if you want the dvd player to pass the bitstream without decoding it. The bitstream setting is correct for playing cds in the dvd player as well.

For DVD-A, SACD, yes you need 6 analog cables.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
cmaurin said:
(Sorry don't know how to quote previous messages) Thanks for clearing things up. I did not necessarily mean DVD-A or SACD, but other surround sound formats available on some movie DVDs. Which I see you answered saying I will have to hookup the 5.1 with audio cables to the AVR from the DVD. I assume these hookups are done with standard RCA audio cables?
I think there is still some confusion here about the various surround formats. The chip on your receiver can decode all the various movie surround formats, whether they are called Dolby Digital or DTS, or whether they are followed by different initials such as EX.

Your receiver cannot decode DVD-A or SACD formats. These are multichannel audio formats that are for music. They are not used on movie DVDs.

You might find more info about the various movie formats by reading some articles listed here http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/index.php or at http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-FIHhz2Ewpag/learningcenter/home/receivers_glossary.html
I hope this answers your questions :)

To quote previous messages, click on the Quote button on the lower right side of each post. It inserts all the necessary code between the brackets. To make multiple quotes, copy paste and delete as needed. Use the Preview Post button to see the results before you submit your post.

Last edited:
C

cmaurin

Enthusiast
Thanks Swerd. This clears up my confusion. Yes, I was talking about "movie" only formats, not music formats. And thanks for helping out with the quoting also.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis