More power from B&W LM1

S

Starckyx

Audiophyte
I want to get some more power out of my B&W LM1 front speakers by adding 2 hidden subs on L+R front channel.
I still have these in duplicate:
Sony SS-WS503 20cm 100W 3ohm passive
Logitec Z2200 20cm 120W RMS active THX
Monacor SP252e 25cm 75W RMS 4ohm separate speakers with cabinet to be built

As AMP I thought to buy a second hand 5.1 or 7.1 (80€ for a Sony str-dg500 for example) and put it behind my miniDSP 2x4.
I now have a Sony str-db830

So I want to set my front speakers to Large to use the LFE Sub purely for LFE
I do not want larger front speakers either

Does this seem like a good idea?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what you mean more power out of the B&W speakers, would take a doubling of amp power just to get 3dB more spl out of them and they're only rated for 100w as well. Subs would be a good idea for those B&W speakers, they don't go very low and I'd want to use bass management rather than only get LFE channel thru the subs, too. The avr you have now has sufficient power I'd think to get pretty much all you're going to get from those B&W speakers and the other avr you mention has close to the same amp rating in any case. Modern avrs aren't useful for passive subs as they'll only provide a sub pre-out. Don't put too much importance on a wattage rating of a speaker, impedance and sensitivity are more useful.

S

Starckyx

Audiophyte
Tnx for your reply!
I meant generating more clear mid bass from the LM1s by sending the lower freqs to a seperate woofer.
I already have a LFE subwoofer but when I set the frontspeakers to small the LFEs are less powerfull.
Which of these tree options I have would you choose? :
Sony SS-WS503 20cm 100W 3ohm passive
Logitec Z2200 20cm 120W RMS active THX
Monacor SP252e 25cm 75W RMS 4ohm separate speakers with cabinet to be built

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure what you mean by LFE....the LFE channel is the ".1" channel in 5.1, 7.1 etc formats. Bass management, i.e. setting speakers to small, is different. I'd look for a different/better subs altogether myself, wouldn't use any of those. That passive sub won't work with avrs (at least not without buying a separate amp). The Monacor doesn't even look to be a sub driver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis