Monoprice thx ultra subs.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Could this be the cure for my reference level itch? Thx ultra 2 subs must be capable of providing 115dB into a room of 3000 cu ft IIRC from 22hz on up. I currently sit 11’ away in a 1900cu ft room from the front speakers and sub, and nothing would thrill me more than to have a sub capable of a true 115dB output, since my current system (Klipsch RP 150m, 250c, RB10s, and R-15ms) are capable of handling volumes above 60hz at the 105dB reference level without letting the magic smoke out, my current sub 1500 has me limited to -10dB (95dB per channel, 105dB for LFE). I have been considering purchasing two more 1500s and stacking them to add an extra 6dB per sub, which would give me 117dB of headroom, hopefully allowing me to achieve 0dB reference levels with a bit extra room for those nasty lfe scenes that like to bottom the single sub out even at 105dB, however, this might be another solution.

If the 12” monoprice ultra 2 sub meets that spec, I may just have to start saving up the $800 for one.

Any opinions on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I have been considering purchasing two more 1500s and stacking them to add an extra 6dB per sub, which would give me 117dB of headroom
FWIW, it's 6dB per doubling of subs, not 6dB per sub. For three identical units summing perfectly, it's a 9.5dB gain.

If the 12” monoprice ultra 2 sub meets that spec, I may just have to start saving up the $800 for one. Any opinions on it?
Hard to say too much about it just yet. From the data available, it certainly appears to be a competent performer. Still, for around the $800, the Hsu VTF3.5 would probably be my choice.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Could this be the cure for my reference level itch? Thx ultra 2 subs must be capable of providing 115dB into a room of 3000 cu ft IIRC from 22hz on up. I currently sit 11’ away in a 1900cu ft room from the front speakers and sub, and nothing would thrill me more than to have a sub capable of a true 115dB output, since my current system (Klipsch RP 150m, 250c, RB10s, and R-15ms) are capable of handling volumes above 60hz at the 105dB reference level without letting the magic smoke out, my current sub 1500 has me limited to -10dB (95dB per channel, 105dB for LFE). I have been considering purchasing two more 1500s and stacking them to add an extra 6dB per sub, which would give me 117dB of headroom, hopefully allowing me to achieve 0dB reference levels with a bit extra room for those nasty lfe scenes that like to bottom the single sub out even at 105dB, however, this might be another solution.

If the 12” monoprice ultra 2 sub meets that spec, I may just have to start saving up the $800 for one.

Any opinions on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dunno about the gain issue, but I ordered a 10" Monoprice THX certified sub and it should be arriving today. My space is very small, and sealed, so a 10" is already overkill. But, its the accuracy I'm after. Hopefully I can mount some sort of mini personal opinion review next week.

G

Giant bubble guy

Audiophyte
I've had the 12 in Monolith sub for about a week. It's my first real subwoofer, so I can't compare it to anything comparable. It sounds fantastic in my space though. There is so much to music that I didn't know existed until I got this sub. It will shake the walls in bass heavy movies, but lacks any boominess that I can hear. I'm tempted to buy another one to even out room modes.

I don't have any way to measure it's output so I can't help in regards to it's ultimate output capability.

To sum up, it gets very loud, it sounds very clean and it goes plenty low for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis