Monoprice Monolith THX-365T Mini-Tower and THX-365C Center Speaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Regular readers will know that Audioholics has closely followed Monoprice’s foray into higher-end audio with their ‘Monolith’ family of products. Among the Monolith products we covered were the K-BAS speakers, Air Motion speakers, and THX subwoofers. The Monolith line’s expansion into THX-certified products must have proven to be successful because Monoprice has recently rolled out a set of THX-certified loudspeakers to complement their subwoofer line. The Monolith THX certified loudspeaker set is comprised of a bookshelf speaker, a ‘mini-tower’ (really just a large bookshelf speaker), and a center channel speaker. In for review today, we have the mini-towers and center channel speaker, which are called the THX-365T and THX-365C, respectively. The THX-365T Mini-towers also come with an Atmos speaker built in the top portion, so those who want an Atmos height speaker in their system can also have that. These speakers are THX-Ultra certified which means that they are going to be relatively heavy-duty speakers capable of some real dynamic range- but at a modest price for such powerful speakers, at $500 for the THX-365T and $400 for the THX-365C. If these speakers can deliver the kind of performance promised by a THX-Ultra certification, that is a true bargain. Is this deal too good to be true? Read our full review to find out!
READ: Monoprice Monolith THX-365T Mini-Tower and THX-365C Center Speaker Review

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Verrry nice! Remember when Amazon just used to sell books Monoprice just used to sell cables? They have come a long way... could even be considered a disruptive force in the industry. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Verrry nice! Remember when Amazon just used to sell books Monoprice just used to sell cables? They have come a long way... could even be considered a disruptive force in the industry. :)
That's a solid observation. I never in a million years thought I'd be buying an amplifier from Monoprice.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great review Shady I was very impressed by these speakers. Thinking of buying 2 that will go on the rear surrounds to take the place of the Elan Theaterpointsthp650sl for the rear surrounds in the new theater build down the road.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm assuming you can just use the front speakers without enabling the atmos tops? I already have height ceilings planned

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm assuming you can just use the front speakers without enabling the atmos tops? I already have height ceilings planned
It would be weird otherwise as you have to add speaker cable for the Atmos part, so just not connect anything to the Atmos posts on the speaker.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, you don't have to use the Atmos part. That is essentially a different speaker that simply shares the same enclosure.

D

Dootin

Audiophyte
Have you guys heard anything about if or when these speakers will be available without atmos? Also assuming no atmos, would there be a sonic benefit to using mini tower for L/R/C. I am really looking for my next speaker system to be 5.2.4 with the atmos being ceiling mounted. Thx.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have you guys heard anything about if or when these speakers will be available without atmos? Also assuming no atmos, would there be a sonic benefit to using mini tower for L/R/C. I am really looking for my next speaker system to be 5.2.4 with the atmos being ceiling mounted. Thx.
There isn't likely any non-Atmos version of the THX-365T coming out. The Atmos portion of the Mini-tower isn't really a big extra cost. If you are interested in these speakers, don't let the inclusion of the Atmos speakers dissuade you if you don't plan on using Atmos. Its just a small add-on to an otherwise excellent speaker. They are still an outstanding value even if you ignore the Atmos section.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Regular readers will know that Audioholics has closely followed Monoprice’s foray into higher-end audio with their ‘Monolith’ family of products. Among the Monolith products we covered were the K-BAS speakers, Air Motion speakers, and THX subwoofers. The Monolith line’s expansion into THX-certified products must have proven to be successful because Monoprice has recently rolled out a set of THX-certified loudspeakers to complement their subwoofer line. The Monolith THX certified loudspeaker set is comprised of a bookshelf speaker, a ‘mini-tower’ (really just a large bookshelf speaker), and a center channel speaker. In for review today, we have the mini-towers and center channel speaker, which are called the THX-365T and THX-365C, respectively. The THX-365T Mini-towers also come with an Atmos speaker built in the top portion, so those who want an Atmos height speaker in their system can also have that. These speakers are THX-Ultra certified which means that they are going to be relatively heavy-duty speakers capable of some real dynamic range- but at a modest price for such powerful speakers, at $500 for the THX-365T and $400 for the THX-365C. If these speakers can deliver the kind of performance promised by a THX-Ultra certification, that is a true bargain. Is this deal too good to be true? Read our full review to find out!
READ: Monoprice Monolith THX-365T Mini-Tower and THX-365C Center Speaker Review
That's almost too good to be true. The center speaker is well designed for a good sound dispersion.

Taking account of their performance, it is a real bargain and I think they will become popular sellers.

L

lanion

Audiophyte
Would these be an upgrade from the Outlaw Audio LCR v.1? Or about the same?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Would these be an upgrade from the Outlaw Audio LCR v.1? Or about the same?
Hard to say. If the LCRv1 is like the LCRv2, I wouldn't really consider these to be am upgrade, more like a lateral move.

L

lanion

Audiophyte
Hard to say. If the LCRv1 is like the LCRv2, I wouldn't really consider these to be am upgrade, more like a lateral move.
What I figured. Outlaw and Monolith both have super solid designs... maybe not always exciting, but really really good.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Many people think that THX certification is simply a stamp of approval for a certain level of performance, but there is more to it than that. THX is intended to encompass the entirety of a listening/viewing experience, and the certification is a mark that the component will behave in a way that fits in with a THX environment.
@shadyJ I do enjoy reading your reviews very much, but can't see how diluting THX brand with THX "Multimedia" certification class is anything but a pure money grab.
I think you'd agree that you can't compare Monoprice's THX speakers and Logitech Z623/Z625 speakers and these aren't interchangeable in any shape or form.

L

lanion

Audiophyte
@shadyJ I do enjoy reading your reviews very much, but can't see how diluting THX brand with THX "Multimedia" certification class is anything but a pure money grab.
I think you'd agree that you can't compare Monoprice's THX speakers and Logitech Z623/Z625 speakers and these aren't interchangeable in any shape or form.
The THX certification seems pretty solid lately (at least for Select and Ultra) . I guess the conclusion you should make is that different THX certification categories are very different, and the 'multimedia' certification is a very low bar.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The THX certification seems pretty solid lately (at least for Select and Ultra) . I guess the conclusion you should make is that different THX certification categories are very different, and the 'multimedia' certification is a very low bar.
Yes, like Ianion said, there are different classes of THX certification. The classes concerning home theater are 'Compact', 'Select', 'Ultra', and 'Dominus' (outlined on this page). The multimedia stuff is basically for desktop PC stuff from when THX was owned by Creative Technology. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. THX doesn't necessarily mean blazing loud big screen sound. It's more like a way to be sure that the content is being seen and heard in a way that its creators intended. So if you are a content creator working to create media for a desktop PC environment, you will necessarily be working under some strict limitations since most desktop PCs can not accommodate a kick-ass sound system (mine can). But if the content is THX certified, and the desktop playback stuff is THX certified, well then at least you know you are receiving the media in a matter that its creators intended. Sure, it was just a way Creative (and now Razor) can put a THX logo on small audio systems, but it could still theoretically have value. I am not sure it was ever used to its potential though.

But like Ianion said, the home audio stuff and PC stuff are two totally different classes of certification.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, like Ianion said, there are different classes of THX certification. The classes concerning home theater are 'Compact', 'Select', 'Ultra', and 'Dominus' (outlined on this page). The multimedia stuff is basically for desktop PC stuff from when THX was owned by Creative Technology. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. THX doesn't necessarily mean blazing loud big screen sound. It's more like a way to be sure that the content is being seen and heard in a way that its creators intended. So if you are a content creator working to create media for a desktop PC environment, you will necessarily be working under some strict limitations since most desktop PCs can not accommodate a kick-ass sound system (mine can). But if the content is THX certified, and the desktop playback stuff is THX certified, well then at least you know you are receiving the media in a matter that its creators intended. Sure, it was just a way Creative (and now Razor) can put a THX logo on small audio systems, but it could still theoretically have value. I am not sure it was ever used to its potential though.

But as Ianion said, the home audio stuff and PC stuff are two totally different classes of certification.
None of the stuff you said is wrong, but the devil is in the details, I get what you're implying - It was Creative whom twisted THX hand to create "Multimedia" class. In my option THX, who's as you mentioned, is no longer under Creative (thank god for that) should aim to reduce the confusion and brand/certification dilution and quietly wind down and/or remove any mention of that unholy category.
Nothing and I repeat absolutely nothing value/quality redeeming are in these two specific desktops speaker sets. They are the same bottom of the barrel stuff creative produces, including some speakers with a fake tweeter.
I hope that Razor can help to stop that crap and hold THX to very rigorous standards and improve the value of the product able to be THX certified. They have a long road ahead to improve the brand image and perceived value of THX certification.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My point is as long as that "multimedia" exists (I hope they will kill it asap) it dilutes the THX perceived value and most people won't know the difference between Ultra and Select.
In cars equivalent, let's say Fiat 500 and Bugatti Veyron both THX certified. Yes, the Fiat is "Multimedia" THX and Bugatti is Ultra THX. But both advertise as THX certified. Do you see where I'm going with it?

Last edited:
A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
Looks to be very well designed speakers for Home Theater on a budget.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis