Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so far I like this app a lot. So what I'm understanding @ryanosaur let's say I want to cut room correction off at 200 to 300hz.
I would go to frequency range set the cut off then resend that new file to my avr on a new preset.

Or turn off mid range compensation I would go to that part of the app turn them off send thr file to the preset and I'm good to go

Am I getting the hang of this?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Shady wasn't kidding about the low end on these. You get quiet the boost. After experimenting I ended up with 2 presets. Preset 1 audyssey on Editor App eq set to 300hz midrange compensation off all dynamic loudness etc off.

Preset 2 audyssey off all distances and levels the same. Just no room correction

Preset 1 with audyssey I prefer the best. Bass is perfect tight and everything else falls in place imaging Soundstage vocals mids.

Preset 2 is fun because the bass is just out of this world but it gets fatiguing because of it it's CRAZY how much bass these speakers can put out

For the most part I like Preset 1 period but every once in awhile on movies with bass I like preset 2 just let it rip

Fun towers man good sound I'll update my audyssry thread tommorow so new guys can check it out hopefully learn something it will be audyssey editor app for dummies

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Somebody smarter than I am with Audyssey may have to confirm this, but I am pretty sure if you toggle off the Midrange Compensation button, it will take care of that dip at 2000k.
Oh yeah! I figured that out. :D Sounds a lot better as well. Like I said my favorite setting was room eq set to 300hz midrange compensation off.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What specifically is it about the 590's that makes them sonically superior?
Hey I'm sorry I didn't catch this question. I think what makes the 590's better is they can do everything the encore can do and do it more. The 590's dynamics are better. They image as well Soundstage as well. They dont extend on the bass quiet as deep but they have a lot off it. They are more efficient at 92db that makes them very easy to drive. They can go louder before distorting. Treble is more detailed but still smooth like the Encores. They have a great waveguide like the encore does so good directivity makes them room friendly.

But in my room size I didn't need that. The Monolith are great for the price. Perfect for my room I had my screen in my bedroom all the way up to the ceiling and I still couldn't quiet fit the 590's underneath. The 590's are big big friggin speakers. Also you either love the 590's look or you hate them. I loved them others might not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh yeah! I figured that out. :D Sounds a lot better as well. Like I said my favorite setting was room eq set to 300hz midrange compensation off.
If you limit the range to <300 Hz, MRC will have no effects anyway because it is at around 2 kHz.
Given that your speaker appears to have been designed to have the MRC very close at Audyssey's targeted 2 kHz, you may want to do another profile to have MRC on and limit the range to >2 kHz, say 3 kHz and then you can compare if you prefer MRC on or not. The thing is, if you like the vocal sound of those towers with Audyssey off then you may prefer it with Audyssey on but MRC enabled. You won't know for sure before you tried both.

By the way, it looks like you bass in that room is very smooth but flat. With the App, you can experiment with some sort of the so called "Harman curve" too.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Thank you Danzilla for your response. I am waiting for the T6 Tower's to go on sale again.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If you limit the range to <300 Hz, MRC will have no effects anyway because it is at around 2 kHz.
Given that your speaker appears to have been designed to have the MRC very close at Audyssey's targeted 1 kHz, you may want to do another profile to have MRC on and limit the range to >2 kHz, say 3 kHz and then you can compare if you prefer MRC on or not. The thing is, if you like the vocal sound of those towers with Audyssey off then you may prefer it with Audyssey on but MRC enabled. You won't know for sure before you tried both.

By the way, it looks like you bass in that room is very smooth but flat. With the App, you can experiment with some sort of the so called "Harman curve" too.
I did several runs. I liked Audyssey best with midrange compensation off and the freq cut off at 300 hz. I listened to many different runs with Audyssey I'm going to post a thread Audyssey Editor App for dummies. Kindoff help a new guy learn just the simple things where to purchase step by step how to operate it stuff like that for new guys to the hobby

It did a wonderful job of taming that bass but I need to put in as you say a house curve. I need a better tablet or screen tho its hard to tweak the overall response with your phone unless I'm missing something

The bass is so flat in part thanks to Audyssey eqing the response but also having 4 points of bass in the room those encore towers really have some serious bass and extension.

Also these encores handle eq very well they are room friendly and take very well to tweaking to taste

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
This is really just a rhetorical question, because there is no way of knowing unless I try them.

I wonder if the T6 would be an upgrade or lateral move vs. the DCM TFE100 towers I use in my garage?

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-27430-DCM-Loudspeakers-TFE100-B.html

Coincidently, the DCM speakers were also designed by Dan Roemer (I believe), who worked at MiTek, the parent company of DCM when the TFE speaker series came out in around 2006.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is really just a rhetorical question, because there is no way of knowing unless I try them.

I wonder if the T6 would be an upgrade or lateral move vs. the DCM TFE100 towers I use in my garage?

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-27430-DCM-Loudspeakers-TFE100-B.html

Coincidently, the DCM speakers were also designed by Dan Roemer (I believe), who worked at MiTek, the parent company of DCM when the TFE speaker series came out in around 2006.
I'd say upgrade. On bass extension alone. You can run the Encores true full range. I'm thinking dynamics will be a lot better too. Plus the wave guide makes them more room friendly

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
Certainly possible that the T6 would be an upgrade.

However, The DCM TFE floorstanders are pretty well made (pretty beefy drivers, nice crossovers, 1” thick front baffle, compartment for midrange driver) and put out a lot of bass.

The room is my garage, so compromised speaker placement and room acoustics, but the DCM TFE100 sound pretty good in there. However, thinking about upgrade options…

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Certainly possible that the T6 would be an upgrade.

However, The DCM TFE floorstanders are pretty well made (pretty beefy drivers, nice crossovers, 1” thick front baffle, compartment for midrange driver) and put out a lot of bass.

The room is my garage, so compromised speaker placement and room acoustics, but the DCM TFE100 sound pretty good in there. However, thinking about upgrade options…
If you are happy with your DCM I wouldn't upgrade at all

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
If you are happy with your DCM I wouldn't upgrade at all
Haha, there's always something better...that's why I've owned probably 60-70 different pairs of speakers over past 30+ years in this silly hobby, lol.

For me, trying different speakers out is fun, and I always find a home for the ones I'm ready to unload.

Still might grab a pair of the T6 to try out.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Haha, there's always something better...that's why I've owned probably 60-70 different pairs of speakers over past 30+ years in this silly hobby, lol.

For me, trying different speakers out is fun, and I always find a home for the ones I'm ready to unload.

Still might grab a pair of the T6 to try out.
I do the same thing all the time Lol so I totally understand :)

All I can say as an owner of the T6's is that for the price they are a fantastic speaker I was not disappointed at all

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
JBL Studio 698

Dual 8", 6" mid, 3-way compression driver floor standing loudspeaker
6" (152mm) PolyPlas Mid-range Transducer
Dual 8" (203mm) PolyPlas cone Low-Frequency Transducer
High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide with 1" (25mm) High
Frequency Compression Driver
Recommended Amplifier Power: Max 250W
Frequency Response: 36Hz - 40kHz
Sensitivity: 90dB @ 1M, 2.83V
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Crossover Frequencies: 320 Hz, 1.8kHz
Enclosure Type: Bass-Reflex via Rear-Firing Tuned Port
Dimensions (WDH): 11.8" x 15.7" x 41.7"
Weight: 79.0 lbs.

Monolith by Monoprice Encore T6

Main Woofers 2x 6.5" Long Fiber Pulp Cone with NBR Surround
Mid Woofer 1x 6.5" Long Fiber Pulp Cone with NBR Surround
Tweeter 1x 25mm Silk Dome with Waveguide
Enclosure Vented MDF cabinet with horizontal shelf bracing
Frequency Response 37Hz ~ 20kHz
Sensitivity 87.8dB (2.83V@1m)
Crossover Frequencies Low: 180Hz @6dB/octave
Mid: 1.35kHz @12dB/octave
High: 1.35kHz @18dB/octave
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 50 ~ 180 watts
Inputs Two sets of 5‑way binding posts
Dimensions (LxWxH) 13.8" x 7.9" x 40.0" (351 x 201 x 1016 mm)
Weight 49.2 lbs. (22.3 kg)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
JBL Studio 698

Dual 8", 6" mid, 3-way compression driver floor standing loudspeaker
6" (152mm) PolyPlas Mid-range Transducer
Dual 8" (203mm) PolyPlas cone Low-Frequency Transducer
High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide with 1" (25mm) High
Frequency Compression Driver
Recommended Amplifier Power: Max 250W
Frequency Response: 36Hz - 40kHz
Sensitivity: 90dB @ 1M, 2.83V
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Crossover Frequencies: 320 Hz, 1.8kHz
Enclosure Type: Bass-Reflex via Rear-Firing Tuned Port
Dimensions (WDH): 11.8" x 15.7" x 41.7"
Weight: 79.0 lbs.

Monolith by Monoprice Encore T6

Main Woofers 2x 6.5" Long Fiber Pulp Cone with NBR Surround
Mid Woofer 1x 6.5" Long Fiber Pulp Cone with NBR Surround
Tweeter 1x 25mm Silk Dome with Waveguide
Enclosure Vented MDF cabinet with horizontal shelf bracing
Frequency Response 37Hz ~ 20kHz
Sensitivity 87.8dB (2.83V@1m)
Crossover Frequencies Low: 180Hz @6dB/octave
Mid: 1.35kHz @12dB/octave
High: 1.35kHz @18dB/octave
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 50 ~ 180 watts
Inputs Two sets of 5‑way binding posts
Dimensions (LxWxH) 13.8" x 7.9" x 40.0" (351 x 201 x 1016 mm)
Weight 49.2 lbs. (22.3 kg)
Thanks for posting this here it got me looking back through the thread I was laughing out loud. It brought back good memories that was a lot of fun last year.

Viper

Viper

Audiophyte
What a load of junk. Lets break down the costing, 1700 a pair, That's 850 each. Take out the profit margin say half the retail. So you have a nice Chinese made speaker for $425 maximum. I've only guessed the profit at 50% chances are it's more like 75% If you add the maker, distributor, retailers profits.
You are not very bright are you? You must have read a different article. They are $800 A PAIR.

Viper

Viper

Audiophyte
At the end of our review for Monoprice’s Monolith HTP-1 processor, we mentioned that Monoprice’s Monolith line has all of the necessary ingredients to build a complete home theater system except for the projector/TV (they do have some well-regarded PC monitors though). It would be a great system and a bargain for what the user is getting, but it still would not have been inexpensive. With inflation taking a big chunk out of most people’s discretionary income, dropping $1,700 on a pair of tower speakers or $1,000 on a pair of stand-mount speakers becomes increasingly too much scratch for many folks. Perhaps, as a response to this, Monoprice has added a more affordable line of speakers in their new Encore series. The Encore speakers are priced to be within reach of a lot more people than Monolith’s THX speakers. In for review today, we have the Encore tower speakers, the T6s, which, at $400 each, costs less than half of Monolith’s THX tower speakers’ pricing. Read on to see our thoughts on the Encore T6 speakers...

READ: Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Floor-Standing Speaker Review
Great review! I can’t think of a better sounding pair of speakers for $800 or even $1600 a pair.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis