Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker Review

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh it's good like that too!

I just wanted to describe that dish figuring you would appreciate the description, tho I probably didn't do it justice. The tortilla strips and drizzle really helped make the dish for me. Added flavor and texture. Plus I love almost any fish when it's blackened.

Some people straight up think catfish is garbage! I'm like, haw?! You just never had it prepared right!
Or, it was one of the species that aren't great for eating or if it comes from bad water.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"Can these speakers beat say your BMR towers in a AB comparison? Can they beat my RBH SV 831R's probably not."

In a properly administered blind listening test, who knows. It's up to the listener not the price. Maybe you will hear differences, but if you don't know what you're listening to, in the end, you just might pick the Monoprice. And then after the test, you might turn around and go "OMG, I picked those?" "I can't believe it!" "I just saved $3000 dollars!"

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The way I understand this is, the Encores perform beautifully for the price.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to put these on the same playing field as the BMR Towers.
EXACTLY let me phrase it this way for the money I've never had a speaker sound this good I've listened to a lot of speakers and systems some inexpensive and some costing more then my truck and I've learned what to listen for. I own my dream speakers in the theater and I've learned what good sound sounds like.

And these speakers play not just great for the money but they punch above the price tag.

Just not that far above there price tag not BMR or Philharmonic or RBH level above there price tag. ;)

Lets put it like this

Just like when I was younger and I'd go to Blockbuster grabbing a b movie rental just hoping it would be okay. Then to my delight discovered I found a really great movie for the level of production

I was delighted the same way with these speakers. I was just hoping they'd be okay for the money. But instead to my delight I found out they were great for the money :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
"Can these speakers beat say your BMR towers in a AB comparison? Can they beat my RBH SV 831R's probably not."

In a properly administered blind listening test, who knows. It's up to the listener not the price. Maybe you will hear differences, but if you don't know what you're listening to, in the end, you just might pick the Monoprice. And then after the test, you might turn around and go "OMG, I picked those?" "I can't believe it!" "I just saved $3000 dollars!"
That's certainly possible but I'd guess most people, especially those with some experience with different speakers would prefer the BMRs. I can also picture the same person being surprised at how well the Encores sound in comparison tho. Having good clean bass extension can go a long way toward one's perception of sound quality and it sounds like the Encores have that going for them. That combined with a competent waveguide for the tweets and great imaging they look like thay have a lot going for them if a guy is on a budget.

*Edit: And they don't look bad either! That always helps.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I know right?

I don't even want to try that test. I'd be sick to my bones realizing how much I could have saved in my theater room!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
1x 25mm Silk Dome with Waveguide

"This particular "wizard" hates waveguides, so there may not be much I can do if it introduces any coloration.."

Well, I guess one of the speaker designers out there doesn't like 'waveguides'. Oh well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
1x 25mm Silk Dome with Waveguide

"This particular "wizard" hates waveguides, so there may not be much I can do if it introduces any coloration.."

Well, I guess one of the speaker designers out there doesn't like 'waveguides'. Oh well.
So been jamming a lot of movies. These are great. I noticed the bass in music but in movies yeah these put out a lot of bass. I'm actually going to have to measure and pull them off the wall I'm getting a little too much bass.

But yeah I'm not crying without a sub at all. I'm just enjoying content great speaker for the price man you gotta check them out.

If they're not what your looking for then just return em

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
My question regarding the sonic character of bass on the speakers was sincere and legitimate. The responses from members are overreactions.

I deleted my posts.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My question regarding the sonic character of bass on the speakers was sincere and legitimate. The responses from members are overreactions.

I deleted my posts.
Oh you didn't have to do that it's a long running inside joke between me and some of the fellas here. I told them a couple years ago I loved ported speakers especially subs and then somebody joked I loved ports little too much and ever since then we've just kindoff ran with the joke.

So nothing you said was out of line I apologize for you not knowing about the joke. The guys roast me with it all the time but it's all done in the spirit of fun

My name is Dan and I'm a recovering portaholic! :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I deleted my posts.
No need to delete. We all recognize them as legit questions, but also opportunities to have a bit of fun.

We want this to be informative as well, so if anything we're the ones detracting from the thread for folks looking for honest impressions instead of nonsense.

We like to be able to do both, so if we bug you, let us know and we'll get the serious stuff the attention it deserves.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh you didn't have to do that it's a long running inside joke between me and some of the fellas here. I told them a couple years ago I loved ported speakers especially subs and then somebody joked I loved ports little too much and ever since then we've just kindoff ran with the joke.

So nothing you said was out of line I apologize for you not knowing about the joke. The guys roast me with it all the time but it's all done in the spirit of fun

My name is Dan and I'm a recovering portaholic! :D
Nothing recovering about it. ‘Zilla is a port junky and no web nanny can stop that! :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Don't be so sure that the sub is going to improve the bass all by itself. You are trying to get a single 12" to match the displacement of nine 6.5"s- a difference of 2.5 times the cone surface area. So long as you are giving the Encores adequate power, the SVS sub can not touch the mid-bass of those three T6s. It wouldn't take a lot of power for those T6s to outdo the SVS in mid-bass either. They will be much more efficient thanks to enclosure volume and port volume advantage. What is more, there will be absolutely no localization issues with the T6s at all. On top of that, a single sub will have an inevitably bad response in-room all by itself. The three speakers probably sum up for a better low-frequency response than what a single sub could ever hope to do, especially with just a little bit of light equalization.

One interesting experiment you might try to increase bass headroom is to bi-amp the Encore T6s. Add another BasX 3, so that each amp is powering different sections of each speaker. Then EQ the bass to taste. You also might want to try running the T6s full-range along with the sub, and EQing them all to sum up to a flat response.
I was also thinking of setting the crossover Shady at 60 or 40 hz and just letting the PC 2000 take over from there.

I'll play around with it. Tonight I'll have to get the bass tamed a bit I need to get them off the walls a bit still waiting for the PC 2000 pro to get here.

With the gloss top on these speakers they will match the gloss top on the SVS super well.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing recovering about it. ‘Zilla is a port junky and no web nanny can stop that! :p
Speaking of ports, I think I'm going to start a thread about getting my 4 sealed subs into some ported cabinets. Hmm.

I am interested in seeing what @Danzilla31 thinks about the bass response when he gets the T6's the "right" distance from the wall.

I don't really "need" to upgrade my office speakers, but they sound just fine to me...until I listen to my theater speakers and get upgradeitis again.

These may be right up my alley. Maybe.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking of ports, I think I'm going to start a thread about getting my 4 sealed subs into some ported cabinets. Hmm.

I am interested in seeing what @Danzilla31 thinks about the bass response when he gets the T6's the "right" distance from the wall.

I don't really "need" to upgrade my office speakers, but they sound just fine to me...until I listen to my theater speakers and get upgradeitis again.

These may be right up my alley. Maybe.
I'll let you know tonight after I do it how the bass response works out

The nice thing about the Encores is you get to play with that itch of trying out new gear but you don't break the bank when you do it either

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
No need to delete. We all recognize them as legit questions, but also opportunities to have a bit of fun.

We want this to be informative as well, so if anything we're the ones detracting from the thread for folks looking for honest impressions instead of nonsense.

We like to be able to do both, so if we bug you, let us know and we'll get the serious stuff the attention it deserves.
No harm done. Now it looks like I am the one who overreacted. I should know better. I have been here on this forum on and off for years. I should have a clue when it's an inside joke. It's the outside jokes I sometimes have trouble with. ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I moved the speakers off the wall more and it did exactly what I'd hoped. Got rid of the bloat tightened up the bass response. I think they could benefit from a little farther out I have them 10 inches off the wall. But that sticks them too far out into my bedroom. But they sound great.

I have the PC 2000 pro hooked up I plan on level matching it setting crossovers and I'll let you know what I notice

Final thoughts I'm very impressed with there ability to run full range. Especially on music. A great as Shady mentioned pair of speakers for a 2 channel setup

I'm also impressed with the Emotiva BasX 3 channel amp. It's done a great job running these towers full range. Hasn't even really gotten warm.

Also I can't tell how suprised I was with just running a 3 channel setup. It sounded great. We've gotten so used to running these Dolby atmos setups I'd forgotten how a good 2 or 3 speaker setup can be.

You don't need a full setup in every room even more important you don't need to buy everything all at once. Buy the front 3 a great sub wait save up but a set of surrounds wait. Slowly build your system up so with each purchase your getting the best you can buy for each level you add to your system

And in the meantime enjoy the heck out of a great 2 or 3.1 system until you save up for more. With good speakers Im Ioving that simple 3 channel bedroom setup

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis