Monoprice Monolith 5X

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
I just bought this. Is this the same amp reviewed here except with the addition of balanced XLR inputs? Dumb question: Is it better to run balanced from my Integra processor? This will be my first time with these connections. I bought a 5xlr snake real cheap from Emotiva closeouts. Any advice? Please & Thank you!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just bought this. Is this the same amp reviewed here except with the addition of balanced XLR inputs? Dumb question: Is it better to run balanced from my Integra processor? This will be my first time with these connections. I bought a 5xlr snake real cheap from Emotiva closeouts. Any advice? Please & Thank you!
Unless something has changed, those xlr connections are not fully balanced. Wish they were.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Believe at time of review the XLR model wasn't available but would think they're the same basic amp, altho IIRC they vary the power supply a bit depending how many channels you order. Why ask after you bought the xlr connectors? Use 'em.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In any case, unless you have interconnects over 15 feet long to run, you wouldn't get any improvement in performance with balanced XLR connections. The only advantage of balanced interconnects is avoidance of RF interference or other noise pickup in the line compared with unbalanced RCA connections.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Believe at time of review the XLR model wasn't available but would think they're the same basic amp, altho IIRC they vary the power supply a bit depending how many channels you order. Why ask after you bought the xlr connectors? Use 'em.
Agreed, even if they are fully refundable..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For short runs up to 3 meters it doesn't make a difference. In fact, iirc most S&V (and others too) lab measurements show RCA connections had better SNR results than balanced, though in theory, if done well, balanced should always be better.

"Fully balanced" that ryanosaur mentioned could be a controversial topic as there are pros and cons. Based on if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, at the price point of the Monolith's, they may as well be just "balanced".:D

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
In any case, unless you have interconnects over 15 feet long to run, you wouldn't get any improvement in performance with balanced XLR connections. The only advantage of balanced interconnects is avoidance of RF interference or other noise pickup in the line compared with unbalanced RCA connections.
I believe my Integra DHC-80.3 specs say it puts out more voltage through the balanced connections, but I don't know if that would make a difference. As far as my limited (mis)understanding of balanced goes is that there's a third connection that is the shield, and that it might help in preventing ground loop issues (and rejecting RF noise, thank you). .. I already had very quiet front L&Rs, with only the slightest buzz in the rears &center you could only hear if you put your ear right up to the speakers when the volume was way up with nothing playing. I was running center & rears from a separate amp Adcom GFA-2535 4x60w. My 5 channel Adcom GFA 7000 was down to 2 working channels until yesterday when another one died a horrible sounding death. Thus, here I am awaiting my deliveries. THANKS to everyone for the responses!

I'm glad the failed amp channel distortion didn't fry my new KEFs, It's been an EXPENSIVE year so far and I was already poor!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe my Integra DHC-80.3 specs say it puts out more voltage through the balanced connections, but I don't know if that would make a difference. As far as my limited (mis)understanding of balanced goes is that there's a third connection that is the shield, and that it might help in preventing ground loop issues (and rejecting RF noise, thank you). .. I already had very quiet front L&Rs, with only the slightest buzz in the rears &center you could only hear if you put your ear right up to the speakers when the volume was way up with nothing playing. I was running center & rears from a separate amp Adcom GFA-2535 4x60w. My 5 channel Adcom GFA 7000 was down to 2 working channels until yesterday when another one died a horrible sounding death. Thus, here I am awaiting my deliveries. THANKS to everyone for the responses!

I'm glad the failed amp channel distortion didn't fry my new KEFs, It's been an EXPENSIVE year so far and I was already poor!
In many cases, the output voltage is twice as high but the power amp's balanced input sensitivity is halved so the overall effect is the same.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis