Monoprice 50w tube/hybrid bluetooth amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly, that's my approach in all my hobbies. I typically spend "just enough that I won't feel the need/want to upgrade for several years".

For mountain biking, my next bike will likely be in the $2-3k range, but that won't be for several years yet. Same for telescopes/astronomy--I want a $2-3k scope, but I'm having a lot of fun with my $400 scope right now too!

For audio/HT--I really haven't felt the urge to upgrade or add anything for the last couple of years. I would really like to build those JB Solstice kits for $1k for the pair. And, the day is coming to update my 10 year old TV and AVR......
If anything, I really like some of the work I've seen with diy's here. I'm not a wood-worker, but I'm familiar with and have used a lot of the tools. I really think I could do a good job with a known design in a flat pack. I'd try one of those first before even attempting a real build. My only reservations about it are my finishing skills. I know I can built a competent speaker, but I ain't sure how purty I can make it look.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Honestly, that's my approach in all my hobbies. I typically spend "just enough that I won't feel the need/want to upgrade for several years".

For mountain biking, my next bike will likely be in the $2-3k range, but that won't be for several years yet. Same for telescopes/astronomy--I want a $2-3k scope, but I'm having a lot of fun with my $400 scope right now too!

For audio/HT--I really haven't felt the urge to upgrade or add anything for the last couple of years. I would really like to build those JB Solstice kits for $1k for the pair. And, the day is coming to update my 10 year old TV and AVR......
I used to be like that. That is, until I had a heart-attack on Christmas Eve December 2015. Once I recovered, I looked at my life differently. For starters, I decided to do ALL of things that I had been putting off in this hobby for so very long. Yes, I go through a lot of gear and will continue to do so until such time I pass. Or, I go bankrupt. To some extent I am a dreamer per se, but I have managed to make a lot of things happen. Thanks in part to my dedication and enthusiasm for my music and/or this hobby. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have not bought any new gear in a while now. Not planning to buy anything new anytime soon. Just want to simplify what I have for the time being. Plan to move in the next few months and it would be less to move. Most of what I plan to sell has not even been used/opened. Just want it gone and out of my way.

Doing most of my music listening now when I am using my desktop. Therefore, my plans are going to enhance that experience. But, my wallet is empty as well. As such, it is going to be a good while before I can do much of anything new. In fact, it will be at least the 1st of the new year or so. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Well one thing's for sure, you have a lot of experience listening to speakers. How many have you had altogether? I think when I first joined this forum I remember you were selling your Chane setup and had the Ultras (that you didn't care for :() right before that, right?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to be like that. That is, until I had a heart-attack on Christmas Eve December 2015. Once I recovered, I looked at my life differently. For starters, I decided to do ALL of things that I had been putting off in this hobby for so very long. Yes, I go through a lot of gear and will continue to do so until such time I pass. Or, I go bankrupt. To some extent I am a dreamer per se, but I have managed to make a lot of things happen. Thanks in part to my dedication and enthusiasm for my music and/or this hobby. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Nothing wrong with grabbing life by the balls! :p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
To be quite honest here I really want the Outlaw 2160. Just do not want to spend that much albeit $799.
EDIT: OH YEAH! I have been drooling over the RR21xx ever since I first laid eyes on it! Several times, I have thought about selling off my Para 1206 and my Emo USP-1, to fund a RR21xx!

In reality, I will likely eventually just replace my Pio Elite AVR with a new HT AVR, then move my Pio to 2Ch duty, then perhaps sell the Para/Emo, or just go with my 3rd setup.
I feel ya! The RR2160 is a nice unit that I keep looking at, but with Denon AVR-4300's going for the same price, what are ya gonna do?
The RR2160 has great bass management for a stereo receiver, but still can't compare to that of a full blown AVR with Audyssey! I suspect the RR2160 may have a slightly better amp section, but I could find nothing substantial in the measurements I reviewed - they seem much more equivalent than different!
But I still want one...:confused::)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well one thing's for sure, you have a lot of experience listening to speakers. How many have you had altogether? I think when I first joined this forum I remember you were selling your Chane setup and had the Ultras (that you didn't care for :() right before that, right?
No no no! I sold off the Chanes b/c I was wanting to focus solely on 2 CH. Hence, part of my fascination w/tube amps. Before the Chanes I owned the JBL 530's/520C. Selling them was the biggest mistake that I ever made in this hobby. The Ultras were a bit before the 530's. Not sure where you read that I did not like the Ultras?

I absolutely loved the Ultras. The metal dome tweeter is the best rendition that I have ever heard even to this day! But, I was not wowed with them over all. Honestly, out of all of the speakers that I have owned just since December 2015, the 530''s were my favorite. That is, until I bought my Wharfies. It is just the 530's were so much fun. My Wharfies excel with music. That is alright with me. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the 530/520s I bought from Phil are still doing well and have been joined with 590s and 580s to complete the family. Don't know why you think about a new receiver when you have two....that's just nuts! :)

PS Hope you've included an exercise plan to help combat your health issues! Good luck on the move!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, the 530/520s I bought from Phil are still doing well and have been joined with 590s and 580s to complete the family. Don't know why you think about a new receiver when you have two....that's just nuts! :)

PS Hope you've included an exercise plan to help combat your health issues! Good luck on the move!
The Cambridge SR 20 does a great job for my Wharfies. But, I just want more power. The SR 20 is no slouch, but it is so very polite. That is why I think that the Outlaw 2160 is the perfect fit for me. Chances are real good that is what I will do as soon as funds allow. Glad to hear that the 530's/520C are being very well cared for. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I feel ya! The RR2160 is a nice unit that I keep looking at, but with Denon AVR-4300's going for the same price, what are ya gonna do?
The RR2160 has great bass management for a stereo receiver, but still can't compare to that of a full blown AVR with Audyssey! I suspect the RR2160 may have a slightly better amp section, but I could find nothing substantial in the measurements I reviewed - they seem much more equivalent than different!
I keep looking at the RR2160 as well but then I listen to my AVR and I realize I'm kind of already there. If I did not know of any possible, of what amounts to subtle, sonic preferences between the two, I would not care. The RR2160 boasts a 192 kHz/24-bit DAC, as does my 14 yr old Denon 3805. In many ways, they look essentially the same in an audible sense.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Doing most of my music listening now when I am using my desktop. Therefore, my plans are going to enhance that experience. But, my wallet is empty as well. As such, it is going to be a good while before I can do much of anything new. In fact, it will be at least the 1st of the new year or so. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
This is one of the best approaches to quality, 2 channel, using near field. I think everyone that is serious about hi-fi ought to have this option. One can typically afford high quality desktop speakers and a sub for what they could easily spend on mid-fi larger gear and much less than a surround system and the possible errors of such a system being much less costly as well. I've had a blast lately playing with the smaller speakers. Even the tiny ones are contenders in this realm. After building the Continuums, it occurred to me that I could be quite satisfied, if not blown away by it, in spite of the selfishness of it all.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Cheers,

Phil
Gotcha, just a bit of a different philosophy from my viewpoint--Take all the $ for the various speakers and add it up, we could be talking about some really nice high end speakers at this point!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But that classic machined aluminum aesthetic!

I'm certain that it sounds better, based on looks alone ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Gotcha, just a bit of a different philosophy from my viewpoint--Take all the $ for the various speakers and add it up, we could be talking about some really nice high end speakers at this point!
Already have owned some very nice high end speakers. In fact, the Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Monitors are the best speakers that I have ever owned and/or heard period. The Taylo Reference Monitors were also high end.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649339069-tyler-acoustics-linbrook-signature-monitors-are-back/

http://tyleracoustics.com/Classic Lines.html

Couple of things that I have learned along the way is that high end speakers really need high end electronics to sound their best. Not to mention, the point of "diminishing returns" occurs quite rapidly when it comes to so called high end speakers. Perhaps, the same can be said about high end electronics as well, no?

Right now I own (2) sets of Wharfedale stand mounts and could not be any happier. They are not high end, but I prefer them to anything else that I have ever owned for the money. Both excel w/vocals as I prefer a more warmer, laid-back sound signature. Absolutely no listening fatigue whatsoever.

Keep in mind that when I opt for new gear that does NOT mean I lost my a$$ on the deal. Sure, have lost some money here and there. Even at times when shipping something back. Every once in a while, however, I have merely given something away. As such, I may not have lost as much as many people here think.

It is no secret that I am, and have been, looking at some SS amps. Either 2 CH and/or Integrated will suffice. However, the Outlaw 2160 Stereo receiver has my full attention as does the Model 5000 amp. Hoping that I can eventually opt for the 2160. The only other thing I hope to own soon is a set of these:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=107

Cheers,

Phil

PS I am no longer looking at tube amps as SS fits my needs better. :):):)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I evacd the hurricane and brought the innards to the continuums with me since the rs28a tweet is nla. Hope i havent been robbed for all my other gear...put the tempests in the laundry room atop the washer/dryer. Our block has been w/o power since sunday. I'm still up in the blue ridge living it up with old friends until i hear of improvements back home. House survived at least..as did myself and mine.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I evacd the hurricane and brought the innards to the continuums with me since the rs28a tweet is nla. Hope i havent been robbed for all my other gear...put the tempests in the laundry room atop the washer/dryer. Our block has been w/o power since sunday. I'm still up in the blue ridge living it up with old friends until i hear of improvements back home. House survived at least..as did myself and mine.
Good to hear you're okay 'boat!

I can see you now, on top of the washer and dryer furiously removing screws for your drivers as the waters rise...

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Bought some different tubes for the Monoprice amp. Changing the tubes does make a difference in sound. Tried them in Left/new vs. Right/stock, switched speakers around etc. The Ruski tubes sound a bit nicer to my ear.

Have this amp hooked up to the little full rangers I just built and it is actually a nice combination. Have the low level output from the monoprice hybrid to my behringer's channel B to the Dayton RSS315HF-4 sub.

It's actually quite nice.

ETA: I didn't purchase the tubes due to any perceivable shortcomings of the monoprice tube amp. Just wanted to see how much effect the tubes actually contribute.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Bought some different tubes for the Monoprice amp. Changing the tubes does make a difference in sound. Tried them in Left/new vs. Right/stock, switched speakers around etc. The Ruski tubes sound a bit nicer to my ear.

Have this amp hooked up to the little full rangers I just built and it is actually a nice combination. Have the low level output from the monoprice hybrid to my behringer's channel B to the Dayton RSS315HF-4 sub.

ETA: I didn't purchase the tubes due to any perceivable shortcomings of the monoprice tube amp. Just wanted to see how much effect the tubes actually contribute.
Nice! Were the tubes expensive? Just curious. BTW, when you say it changed the sound more to your liking can you be a bit more specific? Sounds like you are liking the Mono tube amp more and more, no?

I may check one out myself before it is all said and done. However, my SR20 and 220 combination is stellar! As such, no real hurry on my end to try the tube amp. I admit though, posts like yours is making it harder for me keep telling myself that I do NOT need the mono tube........LOL!!!!!! :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Did you get a matched pair on the tubes?

Or, does that amp have bias adjustment?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Nice! Were the tubes expensive? Just curious. BTW, when you say it changed the sound more to your liking can you be a bit more specific? Sounds like you are liking the Mono tube amp more and more, no?

I may check one out myself before it is all said and done. However, my SR20 and 220 combination is stellar! As such, no real hurry on my end to try the tube amp. I admit though, posts like yours is making it harder for me keep telling myself that I do NOT need the mono tube........LOL!!!!!! :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil
I didn't dislike the stock sound. I was just more curious as to what the tubes functioned as. I do like the sound of the Ruski tubes better though, but without a direct side-by-side, I likely would not have known.

It was about $18 for all four tubes and they came as matched pairs.

This is just a novelty purchase to hook up to my full range projects. Something to look at and tinker with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis