Monolith10in THX Select Certified Subwoofer?

• Thread starter Ronnie the cable guy
  • Start date
Ronnie the cable guy

Ronnie the cable guy

Enthusiast
Hey guys , new to the forum here, I have a question. I'm using an old Denon 4800 receiver connected to a new Monolith 10in THX Subwoofer. The two RCA cables are plugged into the sub's two RCA jacks (red and white). I'm using a Y splitter adapter" to plug the one cable into the subwoofer jack on the receiver . With it being hooked up like that using the Y splitter ,Did i some how Bypass the "gain and phase control on the sub??The gain and phase control doesn't seem to be making any difference when i try to adjust it. Is that normal from the way i have the sub hooked up to the receiver ? I'm having to control the bass from the receiver. Thanks guys. I'm Iooking forward to learning a lot here on the forum.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't think of why the gain nor phase controls would cease functioning. The phase control may not yield much change, tho. No need for the splitter, you could just use one rca cable from sub pre-out on the avr to the LFE input on the Monolith. Using an LFE input on a sub may take the low pass filter out of circuit, but don't know what the Monolith does particularly. Generally, after initial calibration, you do want the avr to control crossover as well as level....

Ronnie the cable guy

Ronnie the cable guy

Enthusiast
Looking at your manual you can use either of the rca inputs with the single cable, you manage the crossover/low pass filter by the THX switch (set it to off, per page 6). The manual in case you need https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/35141_Manual_190121.pdf
Ok i just removed the y' splitter and now i'm just using the one cable, Its still working using the one cable. The sub level is working, but i still cant hear any difference adjusting the crossover and the phase control, but it sounds fine like it is. I also noticed that when i turn the volume up high on my receiver, it sounds like i start losing some of the bass from the sub the higher the volume goes, but maybe that's normal. Thank you for helping me out.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok i just removed the y' splitter and now i'm just using the one cable, Its still working using the one cable. The sub level is working, but i still cant hear any difference adjusting the crossover and the phase control, but it sounds fine like it is. I also noticed that when i turn the volume up high on my receiver, it sounds like i start losing some of the bass from the sub the higher the volume goes, but maybe that's normal. Thank you for helping me out.
How did you establish the proper level of the sub? Test tones? SPL meter? At least I don't think Denons that old had an auto setup or Audyssey feature.

If you turned off the THX switch I mentioned the sub's low pass filter should be turned off (it's only half a crossover as such, since there's no corresponding high pass filter in the sub). You should set crossovers in the avr....I'd start with 80 generally (be sure to set speakers to "small").

Your perception of sound and frequency varies with level. Don't know if your Denon has a loudness contour type setting, but try this article for the concept https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

If your sub doesn't have stronger bass in either of the phase settings then there's not much you can do (you generally use the setting that yields the stronger response).

Ronnie the cable guy

Ronnie the cable guy

Enthusiast
How did you establish the proper level of the sub? Test tones? SPL meter? At least I don't think Denons that old had an auto setup or Audyssey feature.

If you turned off the THX switch I mentioned the sub's low pass filter should be turned off (it's only half a crossover as such, since there's no corresponding high pass filter in the sub). You should set crossovers in the avr....I'd start with 80 generally (be sure to set speakers to "small").

Your perception of sound and frequency varies with level. Don't know if your Denon has a loudness contour type setting, but try this article for the concept https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

If your sub doesn't have stronger bass in either of the phase settings then there's not much you can do (you generally use the setting that yields the stronger response).
ok thanks man

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis