Monolith 10" vs 12" price

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I'm looking at these two as possible options for my HT set up. I read the review of the two here on the Audioholics site, and it seems like the 12" is definitely the 'better' woofer. However, looking at the price of the 2 (here in Canada) the 10" is 808$ and the 12" jumps up by more than double to 1776$. Meanwhile the jump from the 12" to the 15" is only about 290$ (2068$).

My question is: is it really worth the extra 1000$ plus (once taxes are in) to jump from the 10" to the 12"? I'm going with a 2 subwoofer set up (eventually), but if I go with the 10" I might just buy both at once.

Also, 800$ US for it, compared to 1776$ Canadian Pesos. We sure get waxed over up here. Even with a 22% exchange rate, duty and shipping, it shouldn't cost more than 1300$.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Classic conundrum!

How big is your room? By this: what is the total open room VOLUME of the space where the subs will be placed?

For example, if your room is closed, and measures 15x21x9', you have just over 2800cu.ft of room volume.

if your listening "area" is in a much larger room, you need to account for the total space the sub will be exposed to, not just the "area" you listen in. Dig? ;)

In short, 2 of those 10" will be nice subs... unless you are in an 8000cu.ft room. :D Open doorways and open floorplans can effect performance.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Classic conundrum!

How big is your room? By this: what is the total open room VOLUME of the space where the subs will be placed?

For example, if your room is closed, and measures 15x21x9', you have just over 2800cu.ft of room volume.

if your listening "area" is in a much larger room, you need to account for the total space the sub will be exposed to, not just the "area" you listen in. Dig? ;)

In short, 2 of those 10" will be nice subs... unless you are in an 8000cu.ft room. :D Open doorways and open floorplans can effect performance.

18.5' x 10.5' x 7.5' for about 1450 cubic ft +/-

1 door at the back of the room that is usually closed while in there, though it can get hot in there with 4 people, 2 dogs and the A/V equipment running so I'll open the door to let fresh/cool air in.

EDIT: 2 rows of seating, with the back row elevated 16' higher than the front. Front Row approximately 9' from the front speakers. Rear row approximately 14' from the front speakers. If that helps at all.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
First off wait till they go on sale. Which seems to be every other week or so. Also the 20% off sale should be coming up.
The 12'' and 15'' are not doubt a beast. The 10'' is no slouch either. If you can get two of the 10''s for the price of the 12'', that's what i would do, and did do.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What's the cost of a SVS PB 2000 Pro or PB 3000 Pro for you

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The cheapest I can find is about 1260$ (plus tax) for the SVS PB 2000 Pro, and 1960$ (plus tax) for the SVS PB 3000. Tax adds another 12% to those prices.

And the Paradigm Defiance X12 that I was also thinking about is 1650$ (plus tax).

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
And the prices I quoted in the OP are also pre tax, so again add 12% to both.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In your room, especially with the doors closed, you will be fine with the 10" Subs. The jump to the 12" is steep, but you do get a better beast in those. The question for you is: how much is low end extension worth to you? ;)

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
In your room, especially with the doors closed, you will be fine with the 10" Subs. The jump to the 12" is steep, but you do get a better beast in those. The question for you is: how much is low end extension worth to you? ;)
More for me, than for my wife. She already thinks what we had before (which was terrible) was too much. And that 2 subwoofers is massive overkill in her opinion.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Monolith 12" is almost but not quite double the performance of the Monolith 10". It certainly is a significantly higher performer. It wouldn't outperform two Monolith 10"s though. But two Monolith 12"s would be a hell of a system for sure.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Monolith 12's $1776 × 2 = $3552
SVS PB-2000's $1260 x 2 = $2520

I personally don't think they're worth that much more in performance

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I'll see if they go on sale in the next week or so. Being without a sub right now is crappy, and I'm getting an itchy trigger finger to buy one, but I can hold out for a little longer........maybe.......possibly........

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
More for me, than for my wife. She already thinks what we had before (which was terrible) was too much. And that 2 subwoofers is massive overkill in her opinion.
I probably missed but if what you had before was crappy, she maybe was sensitive to a bloated boomy one note wonder. The added distortion and non linear behavior from cheap subs can definitely be annoying and sound like “too much”. My wife thinks we have more than enough bass too, but to my estimation, she’s not qualified, lol. Plus I pay for this house too so.....
In any case, I think if you have the means, the 12’s are the easy choice. As good as the mono 10’s are, there’s just no replacement for displacement, and they just can’t compete with the 12’s. I also like the PC2k. All the performance, with a small footprint. I know the trigger finger is itchy, but imo bass is an investment, and worth the wait.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I third the SVS 2000 x 2. Wait and save. Great company to deal with.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd concur also... 2 PB or PC 2000Pros would do that room very nicely. Yes the Mono 12s would mop the floor, I think, but... :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis