Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty good review of their flagship Silver. Somewhat surprised to see the big rise in bass FR, as well as that strangeness up high in the tweeter (though that will likely not be audible to most listeners in normal usage).

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

;)
Oops - didn't see your post or I would have added this to it!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm like you... I was really impressed with my audition of the 6G Silver 300 and 500. Solid gear. Dunno if I'll go out and listen to these, or if that would even be an option locally anymore... (I think the Audio Shop that carried them down in Marin County closed during the Pandemic :( )

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
FYI Audio Advisor had some MA silvers on sale in their Winter 2022 Clearance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where are these generally available in the US market or is that a concern? Personally never ran into MA in the US in stores when I bothered with stores....from most reports MA is only maybe in the middle of various offerings, but....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They can be found, but MA hasn't targeted the US as heavily as KEF has, to be certain. Last I knew, the North American Importer is based in Canada. A few years ago when I was shopping, I found a distributor in Sacramento who wholesaled to a few local Bay Area dealers. They are tricky to find, but I would say they are likely worth the time for anybody in the market for OEMs at that price point.
In 2018, I would have taken them over anything else I heard if not for Philharmonic.

It would be cool if AH got some to review. *fingers crossed

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Where are these generally available in the US market or is that a concern? Personally never ran into MA in the US in stores when I bothered with stores....from most reports MA is only maybe in the middle of various offerings, but....
They used to be available at Best Buy Magnolia stores - probably around 5-10 years ago. I think Magnolia dropped them and brought in KEF as a replacement line.

They're also available online at Crutchfield and at Audio Advisor.

Of course, some independent dealers here and there carry them, but they are getting fewer and farther between.

F

FIqbal

Audioholic Intern
I think MA is one of the most underappreciated and under discussed brands. I have only heard MA Gold 4G and they sound wonderful much better than comparable other UK speaker brands like KEF and definitely B&W. MA Gold 4G sound balanced, neutral and speakers are well made and great to look at.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

I just replaced my MA Silver 300's and C350 center with the Gold 200's front L&R and the C250 center. I kept the Silver FX's for the rear surrounds in my 5.1 system. The front left and right mains are a huge improvement in dynamics, clarity and tight bass in my room. The C250 is also a fabulous sounding speaker however I am having some issues with dialogue. After calibrating with my Marantz SR7015 I notice the main fronts seem to be drowning out the C250 and making the dialogue difficult to hear? I never had this problem with my Silver 300's? I wonder if it is the "MPD" tweeter in the Gold series?

Any feedback is welcome.
PG55

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hello,

I just replaced my MA Silver 300's and C350 center with the Gold 200's front L&R and the C250 center. I kept the Silver FX's for the rear surrounds in my 5.1 system. The front left and right mains are a huge improvement in dynamics, clarity and tight bass in my room. The C250 is also a fabulous sounding speaker however I am having some issues with dialogue. After calibrating with my Marantz SR7015 I notice the main fronts seem to be drowning out the C250 and making the dialogue difficult to hear? I never had this problem with my Silver 300's? I wonder if it is the "MPD" tweeter in the Gold series?

Any feedback is welcome.
PG55
I had heard the newer Gold generation was really nice, well done. I had not seen any review of the Center specifically, however.
In a way, I’m surprised as the silver 350 seemed to get very high marks by user comments.

Simple questions first… you have proper set up: aimed at LP, no obstructions, jumpers are securely in place and cables are securely installed… (gotta ask and cover the bases :) ).
Did you run Audyssey?

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

Yes the silver C350 was awesome and I had no complaints. I wanted to have the same series across the front especially since the tweeters were different.

I just re-ran Audyssey and was extremely careful with the setup. I put blankets over the coffee table turned off all of the stuff in the house that is in the background (furnace, Fridge etc.) and measured the placement of the mic and MLP exact. Audyssey is much more sensitive than I had thought.

The results came back with Audyssey raising the center channel by 1dB and lowering the front left and right by .5dB. I also turned off the midrange compensation as I have heard the "MPD" tweeter has a different frequency response than my other Silver 300's tweeter. It sounds much better all around to me. My wife will be the final judge tonight when we watch our Netflix shows.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

Yes the silver C350 was awesome and I had no complaints. I wanted to have the same series across the front especially since the tweeters were different.

I just re-ran Audyssey and was extremely careful with the setup. I put blankets over the coffee table turned off all of the stuff in the house that is in the background (furnace, Fridge etc.) and measured the placement of the mic and MLP exact. Audyssey is much more sensitive than I had thought.

The results came back with Audyssey raising the center channel by 1dB and lowering the front left and right by .5dB. I also turned off the midrange compensation as I have heard the "MPD" tweeter has a different frequency response than my other Silver 300's tweeter. It sounds much better all around to me. My wife will be the final judge tonight when we watch our Netflix shows.
Perhaps that is all it takes. Let us know!

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Update-After turning the center right side up and raising the mains up a few inches it is all good on the center channel dialogue issue. Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis