Monitor Audio Bronze 6 vs. Klipsch R-28F

V

vogs

Audiophyte
How would you describe and compare those two? Does one pair have a better effectiveness (that a smaller AVR can be used)?
I listen to a lot of rock, classic rock, metal, classic and alternative rock/metal and like to watch movies (nearly all kind).

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Given the music preferences and intended use, the Klipsch would be the better choice. While not as sensitive as claimed, they are more sensitive than the MA, and modest power should drive them exceptionally loud.

If you've heard the Klipsch and like what you hear, be aware that due to the typical model update previous iterations of RF-62 and RF-82 can be bought for great prices.

V

vogs

Audiophyte
Thanks for your message. Why would the Klipsch be better?
And the MA not suitable at all?

Would a Denon X1100 be enough for both?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your message. Why would the Klipsch be better?
And the MA not suitable at all?

Would a Denon X1100 be enough for both?
The horn loading of the Klipsch tweeter gives it a unique character. As a loose analogy, think about the way you would cup your hands around your mouth to focus/broadcast your voice if you needed to get the attention of someone far away. The horn does this and consequently not all frequencies have the same character. If you listened to Classical Quartets and Chamber Music, this effect would be problematic. However, it is the nature of Rock and Metal to be bold and in your face, and the Klipsch speakers deliver. I have a pair of RF-82ii's I use for HT. It is a great speaker for HT (especially action movies) because of the immediacy the horns impart on the upper harmonics. From a strict accuracy standpoint, the MA's would be better, they would sound more natural with a Violin (for example), but for Rock and Metal, the way the Klipsch gives the electric instruments a little more "edge" is generally not offensive, and often welcome. Klipsch is an interesting Company. They have perhaps the best record of any speaker company for longevity and consistent sales volume. You won't see it in their reference series, but their marketing is pretty playful for the lower lines. I remember seeing one of their speaker boxes with the caption "Pissing off the neighbors since 1954" in bold print (I don't remember the actual date). Also I know at least some of their subs have volume knobs that go to 11 (instead of 10)! My point is that Klipsch recognizes that much of their clientele is looking for an "in your face" kind of sound.

I have never heard the Monitor Bronze 6, but by all accounts, it is a nicely designed traditional speaker.

I attempted to capture the nature of the Klipsch sound in the thread linked below, and also note Irvrobinson's comments. Both of us have other more accurate speakers for music (and I believe I can speak for him in saying our music leanings are towards Jazz, maybe Classic Rock, but not so much Metal), and got the Klipsch for HT. Irv probably has the more discerning ear.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/klipsch-rf62-ii.95251/#post-1088658

Unfortunately, most of the closeout deals on the RF series have dried up, but there are still some Cherry RF-82ii's for $400/ea.
http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/rf82ii.html

There are also some "scratch & dent" Black RF82ii's at a discount depending on how picky you are and how much you might prefer black.

I hope this helps you and good luck deciding!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can you audition them or have to buy without audition?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis