Monitor Audio Bronze 6 Towers Loudspeaker Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
I've always liked and admired how Monitor Audio builds their speakers. Even their most accessible speakers are very well built, not to mention their sound. This is one company that I've come to respect over the years. I've been doing some research looking for a pair of tower speakers and, after about a year, I can finally say that I have narrowed my list to only 5 - one of them being the reason of this brief overview. As some of you know, I have been following Monitor Audio for several years and, as a result, I'm used to their sound characteristics. Now I'm keeping an eye on their Bronze Six Tower Loudspeakers. (Check out the following picture)
Bronze-6-Black-Oak-on-white.jpg

According to the company, the Bronze Six is the most complete Bronze speaker ever built. These towers feature a compact cabinet which supports two 6-1/2” C-CAM bass drivers operating in tandem with a further 6-1/2” mid-range unit housed in a dedicated chamber and their fabulous Bronze C-CAM tweeter. Take a look at the back connectors. As I said, I like the way they build their speakers.
Terminals.jpg

I've already scheduled an audition to test these babies out some time next week, but knowing MA, I suspect that at LEAST, I will hear some improvements over their former Bronze towers. Time will tell if these will end up on my Christmas list...

Check out the following features and specifications and let me know what you think!

FEATURES:
  • New C-CAM® gold dome tweeter
  • Optimized 6 1/2” mid-range driver featuring concave ‘dished’ C-CAM® cone profile
  • Dual 6 1/2” bass drivers featuring concave ‘dished’ C-CAM® cone profile
  • Two and a half way configuration with differentially tuned acoustic system - higher efficiency and improved low frequency extension
  • HiVe® port technology
  • All drivers feature single bolt-through driver systems, for increased overall bracing, rigidity and driver/baffle de-coupling
  • High quality crossovers with premium grade Polypropylene film capacitors used throughout
  • Rigid 18mm MDF construction throughout, employing radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity resulting in low cabinet coloration
  • Floor-level terminal panel for easy termination and neat cable access.
  • Bi-wire/ Bi-amp terminal configurationPremium quality vinyl veneer finishes
SPECIFICATION
  • System Format: 2-1/2 Way
  • Frequency Response: 34Hz - 30kHz
  • Sensitivity (1W@1M): 90dB
  • Nominal Impedance: 8Ω
  • Maximum SPL (dBA @1M – each): 114.8dBA (pair)
  • Power Handling RMS: 150W
  • Recommended Amplifier Requirements: 40-150W
  • Cabinet Design: Bass section - Front/rear bass reflex with HiVe®II Port technology. Sealed mid-range enclosure.
  • Crossover Frequency: LF: -6dB @ 150Hz / MF/HF: 2.5kHz
  • Drive Unit Complement: 2 x 6 1/2" C-CAM® bass / 1 x 6 1/2" C-CAM® bass mid-range driver / 1 x 25 mm gold dome C-CAM® tweeter
  • Cabinet Dimensions: (H x W x D): 38-3/4 x 7-5/16 x 12-3/8 inches
  • Complete Dimensions including grille, terminals, plinths and spikes: (H x W x D): 40-11/16 x 9-1/4 x 13-3/4 inches
  • Weight (Individual): 36lbs. 8oz.

Last edited:
M

Monitor_AudioGuy

Audiophyte
From the MA facebook;

There is a difference, BX was very good, but they managed to improve, even better soundstage, more detail, more présence in the low frequency, and the White ash finish is astonishing, and a unique finish in this price range. Bronze 6 is the biggest improvement, very rich and more balanced low.

I am saddened they still make MTM style center tho. Monitor Audio said there isn`t enough asking for 3-way center. From the BX 5.1 review:

Off-axis, however, the BX Center suffered from one of the response-lobing effects so common among two-way horizontal designs. When listening from 20º or so to either side - about equivalent to the extreme end of the sofa in many real-world home theater spaces - the sound was noticeably changed, losing high-midrange content and thus lending a slight but detectable hollow/ dull cast to most voices. As long as my head stayed reasonably centered (rare, I admit!), though, the BX Center sounded very fine. The center-channel unit made an unusually close match with the BX2s and, when auditioned on-axis (from the center seating location), created a truly seamless "front stage."

I

illuzion

Audiophyte
1) soundstageaccess.com have been reviewed those speakers.
2) soundstagenetwork.com have been measured those speakers.

So what you guys think(btw cant post links)?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
At $999/pr MSRP, these 40" Monitor Audio towers look pretty good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis