Monitor Audio Bronze 200 vs. Klipsch RF-6000F

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Considering these 2 for my home theater setup. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these? Reading and watching reviews which always seem to come from the perspective of someone borrowing the speakers or using them for a short period. Any owners out these have an opinion?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Any particular reason you're limiting it to these two?

What is your source that will drive them?
What size room?
Distance from speaker listening position?

Very best,

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

Any particular reason you're limiting it to these two?

What is your source that will drive them?
What size room?
Distance from speaker listening position?

Very best,
Hi,

1. Gotta start somewhere and they’re in my price range.

2. Looking at the Denon AVR-X4700H

3. Room is 16’-10” x 19’-3”.

4. 7’ to 10’

Thanks.

Dave

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So have you even had a chance to audition both? In your own room? Why not other speakers? No experience with either myself, just curious.....

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
So have you even had a chance to audition both? In your own room? Why not other speakers? No experience with either myself, just curious.....
The room is currently under construction in our home addition/remodel. We’re about to start running plumbing and electrical...researching the theater room components gives me motivation (I’m doing all the work myself). I’m open to other speakers...in fact if I had to pull the trigger today I would go with the HSU CCB-8 bookshelfs all around. I like the aesthetics of tower and center speakers though and my budget can increase a little so I’m just putting out feelers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The room is currently under construction in our home addition/remodel. We’re about to start running plumbing and electrical...researching the theater room components gives me motivation (I’m doing all the work myself). I’m open to other speakers...in fact if I had to pull the trigger today I would go with the HSU CCB-8 bookshelfs all around. I like the aesthetics of tower and center speakers though and my budget can increase a little so I’m just putting out feelers.
At this point I'd concentrate on ease of using various wire for updating rather than specific speakers so as to have best options available later.....aesthetics are what they are but....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Any local Best Buy or anything that carry these with free returns ? I’d listen to each brand first , Klipch are brighter more dynamic , I’ve not heard monitor but if I got either I’d get largest towers possible. Good luck tons of brands out there too ,

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
At this point I'd concentrate on ease of using various wire for updating rather than specific speakers so as to have best options available later.....aesthetics are what they are but....
I’m not sure what you mean when you say to focus on “ease of using various wire for updating.” I’m running all the wires in the walls myself and once we get plumbing and electrical done, in the next 3-4 months I’d say, then it’s time to drywall and at that point the wiring is done and we’re committed. So having “best options available later...” ”later” is in like 3-4 months.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m not sure what you mean when you say to focus on “ease of using various wire for updating.” I’m running all the wires in the walls myself and once we get plumbing and electrical done, in the next 3-4 months I’d say, then it’s time to drywall and at that point the wiring is done and we’re committed. So having “best options available later...” ”later” is in like 3-4 months.
Then you need to worry about in-wall regulations as well as sufficient gauge for the run....still relatively easy. Just what are you not certain about?

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Then you need to worry about in-wall regulations as well as sufficient gauge for the run....still relatively easy. Just what are you not certain about?
??? I’m not certain if I should go with the HSU CCB-8s all around or a couple towers (2 of which I have my eye on listed above) and a center speaker that isn’t a bookshelf. I understand the wiring and am not concerned that it will pose a problem when it comes time to run the proper gauge and lengths. I’m asking people’s opinion on speakers...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
??? I’m not certain if I should go with the HSU CCB-8s all around or a couple towers (2 of which I have my eye on listed above) and a center speaker that isn’t a bookshelf. I understand the wiring and am not concerned that it will pose a problem when it comes time to run the proper gauge and lengths. I’m asking people’s opinion on speakers...
Depends if you go louder hsu may not be powerful enough what is max spl ? If not go for them ..why bother with towers unless you want 8” woofers I guess 6.5” is fine also .
id take Klipch over monitors unless there silver . Klipch center is also superior .
I’d get two hsu for rear surrounds if they end up not loud enough for fronts , try those out first . Wish I had known about those , the 500 look nice but I’d take Klipch if you listen louder , actually monitors are 90db also so pick which tweeters you like more .

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Depends if you go louder hsu may not be powerful enough what is max spl ? If not go for them ..why bother with towers unless you want 8” woofers I guess 6.5” is fine also .
id take Klipch over monitors unless there silver . Klipch center is also superior .
I’d get two hsu for rear surrounds if they end up not loud enough for fronts , try those out first . Wish I had known about those , the 500 look nice but I’d take Klipch if you listen louder , actually monitors are 90db also so pick which tweeters you like more .
I plan on running 2 subs so I thought I’d have the lower end covered, hence my lean towards the 6.5” towers. Also there will be a couch in the middle of the room and doors on either side...might sound silly but I thought towers might be more obvious when people needed to walk around the room than bookshelf speakers on shelves sticking out of the wall. I can just see people walking into them in a low-light situation. Wouldn‘t be an issue if I mounted them “up” but they’re supposed to be mounted at ear level when the listeners are seated so...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I plan on running 2 subs so I thought I’d have the lower end covered, hence my lean towards the 6.5” towers. Also there will be a couch in the middle of the room and doors on either side...might sound silly but I thought towers might be more obvious when people needed to walk around the room than bookshelf speakers on shelves sticking out of the wall. I can just see people walking into them in a low-light situation. Wouldn‘t be an issue if I mounted them “up” but they’re supposed to be mounted at ear level when the listeners are seated so...
If it’s not a huge room 6.5” are fine I use them for smaller rooms . Larger is not so much for bass just more spl and midrange. Subs handle the bass even if you run towers full range they don’t have the impact !! Few towers do .
I’ve not had larger towers I didn’t think they would fit in my car , wish I had measured it first ... dumb only $50 more i could have gotten 8”.
Probably not a big difference on entry level speakers ehh ?? I wish I’d got a 18” sub over a 15” also another mistake ...$50 more but 18” was sold out . Epic fail .
I never use my 15” much anyways now days .

A larger center is better anyways I’m only using a duel 5 1/4” center mtm Klipch ,newer models are larger .

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If its a choice between Klipsch over some Hsu CCB-8, I would go for the CCB-8 for the reason that the center speaker is better. The CCB-8 makes for a great center but Klipsch doesn't have any centers that don't have a problematic MTM design. On top of the MTM problem, Klipsch tends not to have the greatest crossover. The Hsu CCB-8 is taller as a center speaker, but if you can fit that height, it has a lot of advantages over Klipsch's center. The center is the most important speaker in a surround sound setup, so I would make that the determining factor above all else.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
1. Gotta start somewhere and they’re in my price range.
2. Looking at the Denon AVR-X4700H
3. Room is 16’-10” x 19’-3”.
4. 7’ to 10’
All good,

So is there a style you're mostly attracted to? Nothing wrong with these, just asking because its very specific versus looking for towers in a certain price range. I would definitely look to get the most efficient speaker you can (high sensitivity, upper 90's db/2.84V/m) so that your AVR can drive them with room to spare easily. Your room isn't tiny, but its not enormous and your listening position is pretty close, so this will make it easy to keep reference SPL on low power with efficient speakers.

Just so we're not looking at a deal/sale price, what is your total budget?

Very best,

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I’m not certain if I should go with the HSU CCB-8s all around or a couple towers
Shady covered the center channel aspect, just wanted to add that having identical speakers (for L, C, and R at least) pays big dividends.

Also, take a step back and consider the rather stark differences in design approach of the three specific speakers mentioned so far, and how their radiation patterns will interact with local acoustics. The MA are a traditional flush mounted direct radiator type. Most speakers are like this. Unfortunately, most don't maintain uniform off axis response, and because of the wide dispersion, you'll hear that and it could be an audible tell. The MA may be in the smaller group of well designed direct radiator types (think of Revel or other high end JBL models, and the stuff that Dennis Murphy designs for himself and Salk as good examples), I honestly don't know. Now, compare that to the Hsu CCB-8 or Klipsch, which have more controlled dispersion, which you can use to reduce the influence of local acoustics to some extent, with a greater proportion of direct to reflected sound than wide dispersion speakers can achieve.

This is not a right or wrong thing, but an important aesthetic choice you have the chance to make now while putting the system together.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
If its a choice between Klipsch over some Hsu CCB-8, I would go for the CCB-8 for the reason that the center speaker is better. The CCB-8 makes for a great center but Klipsch doesn't have any centers that don't have a problematic MTM design. On top of the MTM problem, Klipsch tends not to have the greatest crossover. The Hsu CCB-8 is taller as a center speaker, but if you can fit that height, it has a lot of advantages over Klipsch's center. The center is the most important speaker in a surround sound setup, so I would make that the determining factor above all else.
The CCB-8s are designed to be toed in 15-degrees off axis. So if using it as a center, either the speaker will look crooked if actually mounted center to the captain’s chair (center of the screen), or the captain’s chair needs to be moved 15 degrees left or right from the center of the screen, or the CCB-8 needs to be mounted off-center of the screen to make the angle to the chair 15 degrees. Kind of an odd characteristic for a center.

Last edited:
Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Just so we're not looking at a deal/sale price, what is your total budget?

Very best,
For speakers and receiver, I’d like to keep it around $5000. I can go higher if needed but 5k is my target

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
For speakers and receiver, I’d like to keep it around $5000. I can go higher if needed but 5k is my target
Check these out:

And get the Denon X4700H, good to go. Add any old surrounds as you need. Those are very efficient loud speakers and will fill the room for tiny amounts of wattage allowing for tons of dynamic range and transient peak potential.

Very best,

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
The CCB-8s are designed to be toed in 15-degrees off axis. So if using it as a center, either the speaker will look crooked if actually mounted center to the captain’s chair (center of the screen), or the captain’s chair needs to be moved 15 degrees left or right from the center of the screen, or the CCB-8 needs to be mounted off-center of the screen to make the angle to the chair 15 degrees. Kind of an odd characteristic for a center.
I think on-axis hotness would be helped merely by being below the screen/ear level.

But you make a good point regarding the specific peculiarities of the Hsu speakers placement/orientation, and concerning more than just the center. The time/intensity trading that the Hsus are designed to achieve really does work, but the axis of the L and R needs to cross well in front of the mlp, which means much more toe in than what is conventional, and an odd looking setup to folks unused to seeing the outside aspects of their main speakers. (Big sweet spots and very stable imaging are worthy trades for odd looks in this case.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis