Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
1- I get a humming/buzz from the modi 3, This happens on 3 different systems. The only way not to get the hum/buzz is by using a passive pre and not going past 1/4 volume or less, anything past that and the hum/buzz is back. This happens even if nothing is plugged into the modi ( except rca's) Tried 4 different sets of rca's, still happens, nothing but rca's hooked up.

2- The modi3 is only supposed to be capable of 24 bit 192000 hz. Yet my computer is telling me it (modi 3 ) is capable of 32 bit 192000 hz. Does this seem strange to you ? My computer has correctly identified all other dac's . Compared it to two kids dac's, Topping D30 and a SMSL Sanskrit, it identified them to their exact specs. Plus on the Halo P5 it identifies it's dac's specs correctly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you got some shitty Schiit there. :) Sorry, couldn't resist. Sounds like Topping or SMSL in your future?

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Sounds like you got some shitty Schiit there. :) Sorry, couldn't resist. Sounds like Topping or SMSL in your future?
poop is right. I got this for my youngest daughters system, but I wanted to try it out first and break it in. Bad enough it took 8 days to get here and now this. Still waiting to hear back from Schitt tech support. Not sure what support they can give. Don't have this problem with any other piece of gear.
I even tried running it through the EQ and using the ground lift, didn't help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Schiit's never been on my consideration list. Cute marketing, tho.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Schiit's never been on my consideration list. Cute marketing, tho.
Any idea why the specs for the modi 3 are supposed to be up to 24 bit 192000 hz, yet computer says it's capable of 32 bit 192000 hz ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any idea why the specs for the modi 3 are supposed to be up to 24 bit 192000 hz, yet computer says it's capable of 32 bit 192000 hz ?
No, over my pay grade but now that you mention it I do remember just recently seeing someone make a comment on why some units may show a different spec and can't think of where I saw it. Think the gist of it was that it can happen depending on specific gear hardware implementation or protocols?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The onboard chip is the AK4490 that is a so called 32 bit DAC and can accept up to 768 kHz PCM data, also 11.2 MHz DSD data.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
No, over my pay grade but now that you mention it I do remember just recently seeing someone make a comment on why some units may show a different spec and can't think of where I saw it. Think the gist of it was that it can happen depending on specific gear hardware implementation or protocols?
The onboard chip is the AK4490 that is a so called 32 bit DAC and can accept up to 768 kHz PCM data, also 11.2 MHz DSD data.
well I guess it don't matter to much, since it's basically useless. Just got back from my son's house to hook it up over there to make sure there was no way it had something to do with my electrical.
Does the same thing on his system. Hummmmmmmmmmm-buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
well I guess it don't matter to much, since it's basically useless. Just got back from my son's house to hook it up over there to make sure there was no way it had something to do with my electrical.
Does the same thing on his system. Hummmmmmmmmmm-buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
OTOH it could simply be a faulty unit and an exchange might work.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
OTOH it could simply be a faulty unit and an exchange might work.
Could be, Just has me Leary of trying another one. It just so strange, I could see it if it was a ground loop issue. But I have completely ruled that out. You wouldn't think it would be possible to have no power hooked up, or usb, or optical, or coaxil and only have the rca out's and still get the noise problem. WEIRD stuff. Never had anything like this ever happen in my life.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Could be, Just has me Leary of trying another one. It just so strange, I could see it if it was a ground loop issue. But I have completely ruled that out. You wouldn't think it would be possible to have no power hooked up, or usb, or optical, or coaxil and only have the rca out's and still get the noise problem. WEIRD stuff. Never had anything like this ever happen in my life.
Sounded like you've got a defective one. Wouldn't they send you a replacement unit shipped free, it obviously is under warranty or even the x days free return/replacement?

It's a $99 listed DAC that can accept all sorts of inputs so it looks like a good deal that you get an ex AKM flagship DAC chip. Obviously they have to save money elsewhere and that's why you don't get to play the super HD stuff with sampling freq higher than 192 kHZ or DSD. The AK4490 probably won't cost them much extra because of their volume purchase enabled by standardization.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Sounded like you've got a defective one. Wouldn't they send you a replacement unit shipped free, it obviously is under warranty or even the x days free return/replacement?

It's a $99 listed DAC that can accept all sorts of inputs so it looks like a good deal that you get an ex AKM flagship DAC chip. Obviously they have to save money elsewhere and that's why you don't get to play the super HD stuff with sampling freq higher than 192 kHZ or DSD. The AK4490 probably won't cost them much extra because of their volume purchase enabled by standardization.
Yes, they would have shipped a replacement for the defective unit. However after I shipped it back yesterday, I decided to just get the refund. I would hope they don't try and charge me some sort of restocking fee since it was a defective unit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, they would have shipped a replacement for the defective unit. However after I shipped it back yesterday, I decided to just get the refund. I would hope they don't try and charge me some sort of restocking fee since it was a defective unit.
Just in case you wanna to try another one of any brands, check out the measurements of a long list of external dacs at audiosciencereview.com.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just in case you wanna to try another one of any brands, check out the measurements of a long list of external dacs at audiosciencereview.com.
Thanks, will do. I was mainly doing that DAC for my youngest daughter. And had looked some test results on that modi 3, which is why I thought it would have been a good starter DAC for her. However I will also be looking for a better DAC. The DAC in the P5 really is a disappointment. I am surprised they didn't do a better job for the DAC, they really should have just left it out.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just wanted to post an update on the Modi 3. I sent the malfunctioning unit back to Schitt on Wednesday, they received it to day. They already processed the refund and said it would take a couple business days to appear back in my account.
So I will have to say, from my experience with Schitt audio, from a consumer standpoint, regarding customer service. Schitt audio really has their shitt together.
Laura has been a pleasure to work with.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just wanted to post an update on the Modi 3. I sent the malfunctioning unit back to Schitt on Wednesday, they received it to day. They already processed the refund and said it would take a couple business days to appear back in my account.
So I will have to say, from my experience with Schitt audio, from a consumer standpoint, regarding customer service. Schitt audio really has their shitt together.
Laura has been a pleasure to work with.
To me, such disappointment would likely apply to most integrated amps people talked about on this forum. I am sure I missed a few but I am not aware of too many, may be just a few, integrated amps that have a flag ship DAC chip onboard such as Sabre's ES9018, 9018, or 9038, AKM's AK4490, 4493, 4497, 4499, Cirrus Logic's CS43198, TI1794.

Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha's flag ship AVR, and Marantz flag ship AVC do have either near or ex flag ship AKM or Sabre DAC onboard.

If someone mentioned this on forums, integrated amp owners (some sensitive ones.. would typically counter the importance of implementation. Surely implementation matters, but if the implementation schemes are typically better in expensive integrated amps, why not go an extra inch to "implement" at least near flag ship DAC chips in an integrated amp?

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
To me, such disappointment would likely apply to most integrated amps people talked about on this forum. I am sure I missed a few but I am not aware of too many, may be just a few, integrated amps that have a flag ship DAC chip onboard such as Sabre's ES9018, 9018, or 9038, AKM's AK4490, 4493, 4497, 4499, Cirrus Logic's CS43198, TI1794.

Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha's flag ship AVR, and Marantz flag ship AVC do have either near or ex flag ship AKM or Sabre DAC onboard.

If someone mentioned this on forums, integrated amp owners (some sensitive ones.. would typically counter the importance of implementation. Surely implementation matters, but if the implementation schemes are typically better in expensive integrated amps, why not go an extra inch to "implement" at least near flag ship DAC chips in an integrated amp?
The Topping D50s is supposed to be pretty decent. And since my daughter still needs a decent DAC. I am thinking this might be a good option to try. And if I like it, I may have to get one for myself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Topping D50s is supposed to be pretty decent. And since my daughter still needs a decent DAC. I am thinking this might be a good option to try. And if I like it, I may have to get one for myself.
The only thing is, reliability record unknown at the point so if she, or you is getting one, just keep using it every day. If it works reliably within the usual free replacement/refund period it should most likely last a long time.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
The only thing is, reliability record unknown at the point so if she, or you is getting one, just keep using it every day. If it works reliably within the usual free replacement/refund period it should most likely last a long time.
The reliability is a concern, plus I have read different statements regarding the background noise. So not pulling the trigger yet. Going to do some more research.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis