Model 976 7.2 HDMI AV Surround Processor

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Hi guys, I have a question about Outlaw Model 976 7.2 HDMI AV Surround Processor. Is anyone have a experience with one of those? Is it true 7.2 meaning can you control the subs separately or its 7.1 with two outputs for one sub? I currently use Denon avr-x3100w will the Outlaw be a step up? Thanks for the response in advance.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Sorry I forgot to mention that currently I use the avr-x3100 as a processor and have separate 5 channel amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Probably, but for the money why not step up to the x4500h or even x3500h if you only need 7 channels.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
I always wanted to see for myself how strictly processor perform against receiver. I currently have my eyes on pre owned x6500w or x4200w. On the other hand up to some extent I prefer having a reseiver and use it as a processor. In this case if anything happens to my amp I will still have surround while the amp is being repaired.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I always wanted to see for myself how strictly processor perform against receiver. I currently have my eyes on pre owned x6500w or x4200w. On the other hand up to some extent I prefer having a reseiver and use it as a processor. In this case if anything happens to my amp I will still have surround while the amp is being repaired.
Me too, done that twice so far.. could see, but not hear the differences even with real separates in the mix. Now, I definitely prefer AVR as prepro because of the deep discounts on prior year models especially Denon/Marantz's; and Black Friday is near too so keep an eye on prices. Ymmv.....

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Maybe I need to go with the x6500w I dont know! Just see a lot of positive reviews on the model 976 and it's not crazy expensive compared to lets say marantz processors.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I always liked how Outlaw gave adjustable crossover slopes on the sub out. Made integration easier depending on ones setup.
Audyssey XT32 is the best simplified Sub auto eq for the money.

Not knowing your setup, ie all gear, room deminsions ect, it's hard to know what the overall situation is.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
I always liked how Outlaw gave adjustable crossover slopes on the sub out. Made integration easier depending on ones setup.
Audyssey XT32 is the best simplified Sub auto eq for the money.

Not knowing your setup, ie all gear, room deminsions ect, it's hard to know what the overall situation is.
The room is roughly 18ft by 30ft. Amp is autlaw model 5000 polk lsi25 for front lsiC for center, lsifx for surround and lsi7 for surround back. Subs are two polk sw505 but I don't know what yhat have to do with processor?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I need to go with the x6500w I dont know! Just see a lot of positive reviews on the model 976 and it's not crazy expensive compared to lets say marantz processors.
If you frequent the internet, you probably know subjective reviews mean little when comparing gear at similar price point to the 976, processors or receivers. People hear with their eyes and what they preconceived. So prepro, and/or more expensive gear should, therefore would better than avr, hence what they heard and reported. Not always, but often the case, unfortunately. I have seen nothing that objectively suggest the 976 would "sound" better than the receivers you mentioned, if matched with the 5000.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
If you frequent the internet, you probably know subjective reviews mean little when comparing gear at similar price point to the 976, processors or receivers. People hear with their eyes and what they preconceived. So prepro, and/or more expensive gear should, therefore would better than avr, hence what they heard and reported. Not always, but often the case, unfortunately. I have seen nothing that objectively suggest the 976 would "sound" better than the receivers you mentioned, if matched with the 5000.
Thanks for the opinion, I think I will stay with the Denon line of products and see if I can pick up that x6500w that I mentioned.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I think the manual's title page indicates an answer about the sub question, that it is a 7.1 processor....just a splitter internally. As far as rolloff on the lpf/hpfs it appears to be only 12dB/octave on the hpf, and 24dB/octave on the lpf. It also lacks any of the immersive/overhead codecs/capabilities....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the opinion, I think I will stay with the Denon line of products and see if I can pick up that x6500w that I mentioned.
You mentioned the X4200W earlier, keep in mind Denon and Marantz updated/upgraded the volume control/preamp IC in 2016(not sure)/2017(sure). So while the X4200W is nice, the X4400H and newer are better at least on paper. The X6300H through X6500H have the same volume IC and DAC, but is made in Japan, fits in between the SR8012 and AVR-X8500H quality and power wise.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Thats why I asked, somewhere it will say 7.1 and other times 7.2!! It is very unclear what is it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thats why I asked, somewhere it will say 7.1 and other times 7.2!! It is very unclear what is it.
Many units that say 7.2 are only an internal splitter.....but when it says 7.1 processor.....

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
So miss leading! You can dasy chain any .1 system to be .2 or .3 but its not the same as true. 2 system. Did not expect that from outlaw!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So miss leading! You can dasy chain any .1 system to be .2 or .3 but its not the same as true. 2 system. Did not expect that from outlaw!!!
Well there really isn't a 7.2 sound codec, it's just a term for a speaker layout, so I wouldn't consider it misleading particularly. Most people wouldn't know the difference between two sub pre-outs that are the same vs two sub pre-outs that are separately adjustable for level/delay....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis