Modding my 2 10 inch subs....need help and answers..

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Ok so I don't know if this is something anyone is able to answer. I have 2 jbl pb10 subs. They are located 1 on each side of TV and in all honestly they siynd good. Only gripe I have is on some scenes such as Jurassic Park when the brontosaurus is eating from the tree and drops back to its front feet I get some distortion if listening at mid to high volumes. Now this unit was released back in 2001 I think so almost 20 yrs old. My question is i don't the budget to buy 2 new subs or the time to build new boxes. The boxes internal vol. is 1.22 before accounting for the bracing and amp displacement.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a good reasonable 10 in. sub to replace the originals that will outperform the originals....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ok so I don't know if this is something anyone is able to answer. I have 2 jbl pb10 subs. They are located 1 on each side of TV and in all honestly they siynd good. Only gripe I have is on some scenes such as Jurassic Park when the brontosaurus is eating from the tree and drops back to its front feet I get some distortion if listening at mid to high volumes. Now this unit was released back in 2001 I think so almost 20 yrs old. My question is i don't the budget to buy 2 new subs or the time to build new boxes. The boxes internal vol. is 1.22 before accounting for the bracing and amp displacement.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a good reasonable 10 in. sub to replace the originals that will outperform the originals....
It wouldn't hurt for you to play the passages where they make the noise and feel if there is any excessive vibration of the JBL cabinet, which could indicate the boxes are starting to come apart (or an internal brace hitting against a wall). Also, check that the screws holding the driver to the bottom of the cabinet are all tight and check that the ports are not loose.

I don't know how they will compare with your JBL 10", but if I assume you have a pretty tight budget, I think you can get more bang for your buck out of a 12" than a 10" (it cost more money to get bass out of a smaller box):
I would get a pair of SUB-1200's for $296 (shipping is free):
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgOzdBRDlARIsAJ6_HNlo058ZWa8m1VYhYZLbxHBPcQ5sF2k_ceQkwyBF3MBYJbbsyVAXAVAaAoTPEALw_wcB

I have driven them hard (I should say tortured) with stuff like the intro to "Edge of Tomorrow" and they will not make bad sounds! They seem to have some sort of limiter that keeps them sounding clean. They will simply not get louder/lower than they can comfortably play.

Here is a review from Jman:
https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Are you asking about replacing the drivers in the existing enclosures?

I personally doubt that would get you what you want (higher SPL or lower distortion at current SPL) at a reasonable return on investment. Better drivers exist, probably, but the value component (cost vs performance) is hard to justify.

You should figure out if replacing both subs with two new units is cost-effective, or if replacing both with just one new unit will do what you want. Subs have come a long, long way since 2001, or even 2011.

The resale value of your JBLs will be greater in stock form; modified gear generally sells for less than unmodified.

Then apply that money to your upgrade path, which might include just better, used subs.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
In smaller enclosures? Perhaps model this driver with your box and see what you come up with. I own a pair of these drivers and put them in ported, 1.4ish cu ft boxes and they sound great. If I had done a better job on the boxes, they might be in my system today.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I would bet that the sub's amplifiers are running out of power or the lowest frequencies are below the port tuning frequency. Stuff a sock in each vent- if it doesn't distort and you don't hear much/any difference, find a permanent way to do this.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
In smaller enclosures? Perhaps model this driver with your box and see what you come up with. I own a pair of these drivers and put them in ported, 1.4ish cu ft boxes and they sound great. If I had done a better job on the boxes, they might be in my system today.
Kind of illustrates what I was suggesting. Assuming that driver is the perfect solution (a big assumption) that's $250 (on sale) spent. He could sell his JBLs and add $250 and get a very capable sub for that money, maybe less. And if he ever does decide to upgrade later, those modded JBLs will never sell for enough to even get his $250 back, whereas in stock form they are worth something at resale.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Thanks guys. I figured throwing another driver in would be a long shot. I know like stated that finding the right driver for a box needs to have most of the drivers requirements meet. I think I'll live with what I have and save to upgrade down the road. I've played with placement as I have a rectangle room. Due to the front door our seating arrangement is set the narrower way for veiwing. There is also a doorway just opposite the front door and makes placing subs on opposing corners a no go. I've set the subs with one on each side of the veiwing area. This is the best visually and audibly. I will say I haven't been tainted by the sound of anything bigger than 10s in my room so I'm staying away from visiting anyone with 12 or bigger. As it is now with 2 subs up front I get some great bass just not the dig deep and distrupt your heartbeat bass. Don't wanna be disappointed in mine. Once I move into our new house and get the funds saved up I'd like to try my hand at 2 mini Marty builds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis