j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Miyazaki fans

If you like Miyazaki's stuff, Howl's Moving Castle came out yesterday. I saw it in theaters and I really enjoyed it. There is a deal at Best Buy, buy Howl's and one of the other two Studio Ghibli films that were also released and get $6 off.

It has a lot of character and a consistently unique style to it. Interesting story, great visuals.

Last edited:
furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I saw that film as well. But one thing that bugs me is that girl turning into an old lady and then as an old lady falls for that young boy. Something just doesn't seem right there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
furrycute said:
I saw that film as well. But one thing that bugs me is that girl turning into an old lady and then as an old lady falls for that young boy. Something just doesn't seem right there.
That was only in appearance; inside she was the same person, I think is what it was saying. The idea being that she was supposed to be on a journey to find out something about herself; "who she is".

Think about that journey and you may notice some cues that this movie takes from another famous tale.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Liked Spirited Away
Didn't like Nasicaa; Valley of the wind
Howl's castle is in my Netflix queue (albeit behind Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter and Night of the Lepus).

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
j_garcia said:
That was only in appearance; inside she was the same person, I think is what it was saying. The idea being that she was supposed to be on a journey to find out something about herself; "who she is".

Think about that journey and you may notice some cues that this movie takes from another famous tale.

Actually I was thinking more along more earthly lines... The concept does appeal to those old ladies in the audience.... (okay you can call me a pervert or a realist, take your pick).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Liked Spirited Away
Didn't like Nasicaa; Valley of the wind
Howl's castle is in my Netflix queue (albeit behind Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter and Night of the Lepus).
Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke have been my favorites from him so far, but I'd put Howl's in with those.

I just saw it this week and thought it was as good, if not possibly better, than Spirited Away. Kiki's Delivery Service was mildly amusing in comparison.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have to say Howl's would probalby edge out Spirited Away for me as well. Haven't seen Kiki's, but I did watch My Neighbor Totoro this week as well. Different from their other stuff in that there was not much story, but the characters were great - kids will love it.

The most stunning, powerful piece of work that has come from that Studio, IMHO, is still The Grave of the Fireflies.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
yeah ive seen all of the movies available so far, and even a lot of the ones not available to the us.

id rank them like this.

first group: princess mononoke, spirited away,

second plave group: steamboy, nausicaa, porko rosso, howels moving castle. the cat returns, my neighbor totoro. my neighbors the yamadas

then the last group: pom poko, whisper of the heart, only yesterday, kikis delivery, castle in the sky. grave of the fireflies (could be in the second group cause its great work, but i wasnt as entertained)

they are all watchable though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Steamboy wasn't Studio Ghibli.

I thought Castle in the Sky was pretty decent.

Grave of the Fireflies is definitely nothing like the other films; it is more of an endearing harsh reality of WW2 Japan. Probably not one for the kids.

All the ones you listed are now available in the US, with the possible exception of Only Yesterday.

Side note: I watched Wallace and Gromit last night, and I have no idea how that won an Oscar (glad I didn't buy that one).

Bluesmobile

Bluesmobile

Audioholic Intern
I watched Howl's Moving Castle the other day after I bought the DVD last week. I loved every minute of it. Miyazaki films transport me to strange new worlds, and Howl's is no exception. Because of the negative reviews of this film, I was afraid I would be disappointed in HMC, but I was not in the least. It ranks with Spirited Away and Mononoke in my estimation.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They do have a similar look to the art though, and after all, one of the primary animators on Akira, and therefore I believe also Steamboy, got his start at Ghibli. There was a little story about it on the Nausicaa DVD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis