Mixing Speakers on a 7.2.4 system

B

BFL

Audioholic
Curious how many people have different speakers on the surrounds compared to the mains and center? Now that i decided last month to update my 25 year old system which was 5.1.2. Due to room and wife constraints, i chose Klipsch RP240d ii, RP-500m ii, and CDT-5800c ii for my surrounds. Had been debating on the front 3..was considering the klipsch RF-8000ii, but after some demo of a few brands i opted for the Martin Logan XT F100s and C10 center channel as i had to get a center that would fit the entertainment center opening.

Back to the question...See any issues for movie watching having different front vs rear stage speaker brand? I would think its more important if i were doing 7ch music listening, but i think once my MLs get delivered and if they sounds in the house nearly as good as they did at the showroom, i wont need 7ch listening anyway.

thoughts?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ideally you want a timbre matched system with all speakers, but it is much less important to match surrounds and heights IMO. For sure you would notice it with music, but not so much with movies in my experience.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I don't see any issues for movie watching as long as they are good quality surrounds and not too different from your mains. You didn't cheap out on the surrounds so I think you'll be fine. Let us know the result when you have everything up and running.

B

BFL

Audioholic
I don't see any issues for movie watching as long as they are good quality surrounds and not too different from your mains. You didn't cheap out on the surrounds so I think you'll be fine. Let us know the result when you have everything up and running.
Sure will...i sure hope the LCR speakers show up today..we thought they would have been delivered yesterday.

B

BFL

Audioholic
Ideally you want a timbre matched system with all speakers, but it is much less important to match surrounds and heights IMO. For sure you would notice it with music, but not so much with movies in my experience.
Yeah, i figured it would be more important to keep all my surrounds similar if i couldnt get the whole system to be the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I'd ideally prefer the same speaker all around, none of my systems do that. One has same surrounds in brand/model series, another just same brand, tho stated to match timbre. The other two don't have matched surrounds by brands or models. I think it's subtle for surrounds, and most likely would be noticed for music, depending on mix somewhat, tho. I wouldn't worry about a mismatch particularly until you give it a trial, tho.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
i had to get a center that would fit the entertainment center opening
No you don't. This often negatively impacts the audio. You get the best center speaker possible as it's the most important one from them all.
If it doesn't fit. Put on top.

But yeah not matching speakers isn't the worst thing to do. But it really depends on the speakers themselves. Sometimes it's a good thing. Other times it's not.

Regards.

B

BFL

Audioholic
No you don't. This often negatively impacts the audio. You get the best center speaker possible as it's the most important one from them all.
If it doesn't fit. Put on top.

But yeah not matching speakers isn't the worst thing to do. But it really depends on the speakers themselves. Sometimes it's a good thing. Other times it's not.

Regards.
I was going to opt for the larger speaker but it didn't pass the test

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Curious how many people have different speakers on the surrounds compared to the mains and center? Now that i decided last month to update my 25 year old system which was 5.1.2. Due to room and wife constraints, i chose Klipsch RP240d ii, RP-500m ii, and CDT-5800c ii for my surrounds. Had been debating on the front 3..was considering the klipsch RF-8000ii, but after some demo of a few brands i opted for the Martin Logan XT F100s and C10 center channel as i had to get a center that would fit the entertainment center opening.

Back to the question...See any issues for movie watching having different front vs rear stage speaker brand? I would think its more important if i were doing 7ch music listening, but i think once my MLs get delivered and if they sounds in the house nearly as good as they did at the showroom, i wont need 7ch listening anyway.

thoughts?
congrats I think it will mix well since both brands are theater oriented.
you may want to experiment with phantom center those towers loook spectacular, hopefully that average size center can keep up.
I’m personally running phantom right now until I get a bigger tv stand . Could be weeks or years not sure how long..
sounds just as good or better then my center . I can’t dream of affording those Martin Logan towers anytime soon can’t find a job $2.5k ea or so woah !!. I can’t even fit speakers that big in my room.

B

BFL

Audioholic
congrats I think it will mix well since both brands are theater oriented.
you may want to experiment with phantom center those towers loook spectacular, hopefully that average size center can keep up.
I’m personally running phantom right now until I get a bigger tv stand . Could be weeks or years not sure how long..
sounds just as good or better then my center . I can’t dream of affording those Martin Logan towers anytime soon can’t find a job $2.5k ea or so woah !!. I can’t even fit speakers that big in my room.
Thanks, I'm excited to get them. Unless something happens to them they will most likely be my last set of speakers I buy as I am closing in on 60. I did get 25 years out of my current setup. They still look new and play well, just wanted a fresh update.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis