Mixing speakers (ack) Polk with Klipsch ceiling for Atmos?

K

kresty

Audiophyte
I have like one of the worst questions ever. I know I'm being bad, but I want to consider it anyway.

I like my Polks that I'm using for 5.1 (Monitor 50 though they'll likely change to S50s). Currently using bipole surrounds, but I expect I'll go with direct with the atmos setup.

Anyhoo, I'm adding 4 atmos speakers, and... I'm considering the decorative effect of Klipsch's coppery drivers, leaving the grills off... How terrible would that be if the ceiling speakers weren't matched to the rest? (Yea, I know dolby says they should be matched and all, but I'm stuck on this silly idea.)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
I have like one of the worst questions ever. I know I'm being bad, but I want to consider it anyway.

I like my Polks that I'm using for 5.1 (Monitor 50 though they'll likely change to S50s). Currently using bipole surrounds, but I expect I'll go with direct with the atmos setup.

Anyhoo, I'm adding 4 atmos speakers, and... I'm considering the decorative effect of Klipsch's coppery drivers, leaving the grills off... How terrible would that be if the ceiling speakers weren't matched to the rest? (Yea, I know dolby says they should be matched and all, but I'm stuck on this silly idea.)
It will probably be OK although not ideal. but the truth is few Atmos systems are ideal. If it were me, I would make sure other aspects of your system are up to par before chasing four height channels. Make sure your main speakers and subs are good enough. The front stage is the heart of the system and Atmos is just an embellishment.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t think you’ll have any real big problems. If you’re using audyssey, that will help to match them tonally. Like shady said, get your bed layer solid first, making sure your subs are up to task, and speaker placement is good and you’ll have a good head start on Atmos.

K

kresty

Audiophyte
I don’t think you’ll have any real big problems. If you’re using audyssey, that will help to match them tonally. Like shady said, get your bed layer solid first, making sure your subs are up to task, and speaker placement is good and you’ll have a good head start on Atmos.
Thanks, I'll probably give it a try - though maybe I can figure out a temporary way to see if there's going to be a noticeable difference w/o the holes in the ceiling.

We're pretty satisfied with the rest, though I imagine that some folks would be aghast (because stuff can always be better).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, I'll probably give it a try - though maybe I can figure out a temporary way to see if there's going to be a noticeable difference w/o the holes in the ceiling.

We're pretty satisfied with the rest, though I imagine that some folks would be aghast (because stuff can always be better).
Cool. How wide is the room? I am NOT a fan of bipoles, but if the room is really narrow, they can help with hot spotting for people at the edge of couch.
I hear you. There’s always something else out there. Sometimes it’s actually worth getting, sometimes not. I’m sure some would snub my system too. Others might love it!

K

kresty

Audiophyte
Cool. How wide is the room? I am NOT a fan of bipoles, but if the room is really narrow, they can help with hot spotting for people at the edge of couch.
I hear you. There’s always something else out there. Sometimes it’s actually worth getting, sometimes not. I’m sure some would snub my system too. Others might love it!
Basically the couch is against the left wall (which has 1.5" foam insulation in it FWIW). We can't do much about the shape of the room, so that means the surrounds are a little far back because the mounting point we have is the pole behind the couch.

I'm probably going to try a pair of direct speakers, but I'm not sure they'll work for our setup.

Shawn's Room.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like you’re doing as much as you can! Rooms are tough. It’s like having kids, just pick your battles. Lol

Latest posts

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis