Mission Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol Blu-ray Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg and (in an all-too-brief role) Tom Wilkinson star in Brad Bird's latest entry in the Mission Impossible franchise. To say nothing of the super- sexy Paula Patton who kicks tail with the best of the super-spies. Paramount's Blu-ray release of Ghost Protocol proves to be pure eye and ear candy, with a near-reference Dolby TrueHD track and eye-popping 1080p transfer. This was a version that could shine on its own as a kinetic action film, able to be enjoyed by viewers outside the diehard fanbase of the previous Mission Impossible films in the franchise. Check out our comprehensive review of this Blu-ray disc.

Discuss "Mission Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol Blu-ray Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Pleasantly surprised

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. I'm not a big fan of the franchise but this one was very entertaining, especially when viewed on an IMAX screen.

However, I am mainly posting here because I am interested in something the reviewer brought up. Does anyone know the process involved for how DD or DTS is chosen for a Blu-ray release? I am curious as to how DTS has kind of taken over most of the major Blu-ray releases (or at least it seems that way to me).

I think that would be a great story if one of the professionals writing for the site could provide the answers. Or maybe I'm just the only geek who wonders about things like this . . . . . .

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
However, I am mainly posting here because I am interested in something the reviewer brought up. Does anyone know the process involved for how DD or DTS is chosen for a Blu-ray release? I am curious as to how DTS has kind of taken over most of the major Blu-ray releases (or at least it seems that way to me).

I think that would be a great story if one of the professionals writing for the site could provide the answers. Or maybe I'm just the only geek who wonders about things like this . . . . . .
I've been wondering this myself for a long time but have been unable to arrange an interview with anyone at Dolby or DTS to uncover the reasoning why.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I've been wondering this myself for a long time but have been unable to arrange an interview with anyone at Dolby or DTS to uncover the reasoning why.
Hmmm . . . . that makes me even more curious!! Something tells me that there is an interesting story there.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
Regardless, I find that a good thing. In my opinion, DTS sounds better than DD. Or maybe DTS just fools everybody with their DVD/Bluray start-up sequence:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Regardless, I find that a good thing. In my opinion, DTS sounds better than DD. Or maybe DTS just fools everybody with their DVD/Bluray start-up sequence:D
If it's a losless track, they should all sound the same. But I must admit that I have always preferred dts to Dolby Digital.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I prefer dts to dolby aswell, there has to be something to this.

maybe just a better cinematic!!!

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I found this:

Dolby Digital transmits at 684kbps and DTS transmits 1,500kbps (1.5mps). The DTS is "less compressed" like everyone's saying and should "in theory" produce superior audio qualtiy. Most people can't tell the difference. These two competing audio formats are the "Coke and Pepsi" of digital surround. Personally, I prefer DTS (and Pepsi), but I'm sure others would disagree.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Dolby Digital transmits at 684kbps and DTS transmits 1,500kbps (1.5mps). The DTS is "less compressed" like everyone's saying and should "in theory" produce superior audio qualtiy. Most people can't tell the difference. These two competing audio formats are the "Coke and Pepsi" of digital surround. Personally, I prefer DTS (and Pepsi), but I'm sure others would disagree.
DTS has the potential to be sonically superior to DD not just b/c of less compression but also better separation in the surround channels. I had a detailed discussion about this with a head guy at Dolby years ago and he acknowledged it. DD was designed to be efficient so it could easily stream on cable boxes and other bandwidth limited streaming services. Dolby came out with DD+ years later to level the playing field with DTS. Now that Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are out, I'd rate them "similarly good".

I still would like to find out how DTS got one up on Dolby and seems to be the defacto standard for Blu-ray.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This is by far the best MI out of the four that was released. I rented it over the weekend and watched it and I was thoroughly entertained by it. The scenery, Paula, and the action was all very good. Loved the humour in it as well and I felt made the characters more complete.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I found it very average. I'd say roughly equal to the third one. It did give you more character fill-out, but the stories were expected and typical. It didn't also deliver quite enough action for an action movie. It was decent, but not really bringing anything new to the table IMO. It is the first time I can say that Cruise is starting to show his age too.

D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
The TrueHD bit rate on MI 4 is as high as 6759; way higher than the 684 mentioned
Any of the 3 lossless formats will have similar quality
the bit rate on the Police Concert TrueHD is over 8000; highest I have ever seen on any blu ray
nothing wrong with the bit rate or the sound of MI 4
Most DTS HD blu-rays are usually between 3.5K-5K bit rate

W

woodbine

Audiophyte
"I commented to my wife as we watched this about how far the Blu-ray format has come from the initial waves of releases upon the format’s launch – from those soft, grainy and noisy titles to the kinds of films we see today which are clean, clear and absolutely noise (dare I say “grain” as well?) free."

digital 4k Arri's and Panavisions, plus NO telecine in between.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis