Mirage Omnisat initial listen

D

dickw

Audiophyte
Jacksmyname said:
I have a whole Omnisat v2 system; two floorstanders, the center, four of the sats for surround and a S12 sub. Because of the lousy room I have my gear in, I'm not currently using the sats; saving them for ceiling mounts in the new house I'm building. But the floorstanders, the center and the sub are terrific.
I really don't think the sats are meant for mains.
And, you're right about breaking them in. Mirage is pretty adament about running them at moderate levels for about 50 hours.
I also still have a pair of mirage M760 floorstanders that I bought back in '89. Now those babies are sweet. Still sound as good today as when I bought them.

Jack
I am very seriously considering the Omnisat V2 FS, the
Omnisat CC and sub ( no rears for now ).
This would be my first ever audio purchase of this type ( even though I am 62 years old ). Question is, what is the size of your room. ? My room is 15' wide by 25' long with an 18' ceiling. The TV and speakers will sit on the 15' foot wall. The room is a rectangle. Will these speakers do well in this environment ? ( concrete floors and no curtains or drapes or rugs. Since I never had anything, I guess even a HTIB would sound good to me.

Thanks

DickW

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
dickw said:
I am very seriously considering the Omnisat V2 FS, the
Omnisat CC and sub ( no rears for now ).
This would be my first ever audio purchase of this type ( even though I am 62 years old ). Question is, what is the size of your room. ? My room is 15' wide by 25' long with an 18' ceiling. The TV and speakers will sit on the 15' foot wall. The room is a rectangle. Will these speakers do well in this environment ? ( concrete floors and no curtains or drapes or rugs. Since I never had anything, I guess even a HTIB would sound good to me.

Thanks

DickW
Hi DickW.
My current room is small, about 16 deep by about 12 wide. The equipment is on the 12ft wall, but there's a doorway on the right side, and the front door is on the left side wall at the corner. So, I'm REALLY limited with space. The floorstanders are right next to the tv, really lousy for proper seperation, sound stage, etc. In this room, the setup still sounds pretty good.
My new house is typical of construction in Florida; a very open floor plan with a "great room" that's 16x20, high vaulted ceilings and open to the rest of the main part of the house. So, how the Omnisat floorstanders will do in that room I don't know yet (house won't be ready for about 10-11 months; no housing slowdown where I'm building LOL).
When I set up there, I'll try them and see how they do. If they don't cut it, I'll use them for a second sytem in another room and either use my old M760's or possibly the new OMD 15's.

Jack

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
maytagman said:
lol, the ability to instantly switch between two sets of speakers in identical places with the same amp on the same audio track affords the ability to compare them logically. I can tell when something's sonic qualities change. Maybe it's unique to this speaker material but a few hours have made night and day.

I'm curious how you manage to get two speakers in the same place for comparison. Harman Intl, does it by using a very expensive mechanized 'speaker turntable' for their blind speaker comparisons. It can switch speakers into the identical position in seconds, which is really what's required to overcome the problems with audio memory.

Not saying there is no mental game involved, but personally they are getting better. In my experience audiophile articles are a lot like medical journals, every few years they change, completely contradicting each other, there is no set industry view, and every single person writing them disagrees with the other. I tend to trust my own listening experiences more, but that's just me. :)

One thing that has not changed, even in medicine, at least for the last 30 years or so, is that the placebo effect exists, and must be accounted for in any valid comparison of 'treatements'.

J

jsanfilippo5

Junior Audioholic
maytagman said:
Wow... I gotta say, after the raving reviews I've heard on these things, I expected quite a bit more. I was about to start running lines for my Omnisats as surrounds, when I decided for fun's sake to hook them up as mains paired with my X-Sub for a little testing. Compared to my Alesis monitors that are usualy mains (bastardized I know but sound fabulous), these things are really lacking in detail. I almost cant stand to listen to them... I plan to break them in for a bit and see if conditions improve, but otherwise they're going cheap. I wasnt expecting full sound out of a tiny speaker, but something above cardboard box wouldve been nice. The whole spectrum seems like its been draped with a tarp. It's got almost no definition anywhere and it hardly expresses any detail at all. Staggering...
I'm mighty disappointed! Is there anyone here who ownes these things and likes them? Maybe its just my ear for studio monitors that painstakingly reproduce every tiny detail.
Which Alesis monitors are using...

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
I'm curious how you manage to get two speakers in the same place for comparison. Harman Intl, does it by using a very expensive mechanized 'speaker turntable' for their blind speaker comparisons. It can switch speakers into the identical position in seconds, which is really what's required to overcome the problems with audio memory.

One thing that has not changed, even in medicine, at least for the last 30 years or so, is that the placebo effect exists, and must be accounted for in any valid comparison of 'treatements'.
Really? Let me know when you hear about placebo curing cancer. Placebo does not exist.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Really? Let me know when you hear about placebo curing cancer. Placebo does not exist.
You are replying to an ancient post, but this may be the most ignorant statement I have read here in a very long time (and there are some doozies)!
There has been a tremendous amount of research on the placebo effect and it is very much real!
Here is the first article that popped up when I Googled it and a quote I selected from the article.

Placebos elicit biological responses
Contrary to popular belief, patients don’t just imagine placebo responses. Rather, numerous brain-imaging studies have confirmed that placebos cause measurable changes in neurobiological signaling pathways . How can a sugar pill lead to a tangible physical response? The key to understanding the placebo is that it is not just the inert therapy itself, but also the expectation surrounding that therapy.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You are replying to an ancient post, but this may be the most ignorant statement I have read here in a very long time (and there are some doozies)! ...
Outside of the SteamVent forum, you mean :D

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern

NONSENSE! We would have died off as a species long ago if placebo was as powerful as every moron claims. Let me know when it can trick people into remission from cancer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis