Mirage OMD-5 Review

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I opened one up today.
Here is the underside of the tweeter assembly:

Here is the tweeter housing still attached to the speaker (by two wood screws):

Here is the mid woofer. It weighs about 3.2 pounds (not real accurate - average of three weighings on bathroom scale). The density feels pretty solid, but I like to be able to see the magnet when trying to get a sense of how robust a driver is.

Here is the crossover:

There was a piece of 7" square by 2" thick fiberglass stuffed in the cabinet.
The curved cabinet was solid mdf rather than slotted and bent!:)

The wall thickness measures ~3/8" which seems to work pretty well for the short dimensions and curved shaped of these walls:

For $150 each, shipped, I'm liking these speakers.:)

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
What was the key to getting the woofer out? did you have to take the tweeter out first?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The phase plug of the woofer and the reflector "pod" will interfere before you can actually lift out the woofer.
The woofer is a tight fit - I believe it is the round ridge just below the top flange that holds it snug in the circular cut-out. I found a sheet metal screw that was large enough to engage the clearance hole in the top flange (not the recess for the bolt head, but the pass-through for the bolt) and got it to bite into the top flange (I'd guess it only took a quarter of a turn) so I could lift the driver out. I forgot to look for the "new threads" when I reassembled it, but nothing caught my eye and anything would be hidden under the bolt head after reassembly.

A

audit13

Audioholic Intern
In my current ht room, I can't wall mount rear surround speakers so I thought about using the OMD-5s on 30 inch stands and placing them behind my listening room couch. I currently have a pair of Energy RC-30s as my rear surrounds but the sound from the RC-30s was too direct. It didn't matter how I positioned the RC-30s on the floor, the surround sound effect was never as good as placing my RC-30s on wooden boxes that were 12" high.

Would the OMD-5s on 30" stands produce an effect that is similar to high wall-mount surrounds?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In my current ht room, I can't wall mount rear surround speakers so I thought about using the OMD-5s on 30 inch stands and placing them behind my listening room couch. I currently have a pair of Energy RC-30s as my rear surrounds but the sound from the RC-30s was too direct. It didn't matter how I positioned the RC-30s on the floor, the surround sound effect was never as good as placing my RC-30s on wooden boxes that were 12" high.

Would the OMD-5s on 30" stands produce an effect that is similar to high wall-mount surrounds?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm not sure I can begin to answer that question - I don't have any experience with surrounds. But it is important to note that these speakers sound better if they have a wall behind them, and they do need some distance between them and your ear to allow the direct and the reflections to interact in a reasonable way.

I am thinking of using these as surrounds in an HT setup

A

audit13

Audioholic Intern
I'm not sure I can begin to answer that question - I don't have any experience with surrounds. But it is important to note that these speakers sound better if they have a wall behind them, and they do need some distance between them and your ear to allow the direct and the reflections to interact in a reasonable way.

I am thinking of using these as surrounds in an HT setup
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm going to find out how well the OMD-5s perform as surrrounds on 30" stands because I just ordered them.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm going to find out how well the OMD-5s perform as surrrounds on 30" stands because I just ordered them.
You couldn't have just bought em from me? lol

H

Hedge Guy

Audiophyte
My first post.
I purchased a pair of Mirage OMD-5 a few months ago because I miss my Shahanian Obelisks and thought that these could give me a small glimmer of the sort of reflected sound that I miss. I am using a pair of Magnapan MMG that I purchased many years ago. I sold all my previous tube amps etc about ten years ago when we moved to an apartment in South Florida from our home in New York.
I use a focal cub2 subwoofer which is necessary for the Maggies.
I have to admit, that set up properly, these OMD-5s in my new music room in my new home fits the bill perfectly. I was thinking of getting a new pair of small loudspeakers like the Quad s2, but these are PERFECT. Great soundstage and incredible imaging. Much is better than the maggies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis