Minimum impedance marrantz

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
I have a marrantz sr5013

I recently watched genes review and bench test regarding the 8012.

Im his statements he says do not change min ohm impedance as it starves your speakers power.

My question is - i have currently 6ohm , and soon 2 emotiva t2+ which are 4ohm , given that i should still leave the min 8ohm? Or are these impedances just not compatible?

Usually in car audio that will overheat or make unit go into protect mode. Why is this different?

I plan on adding a crown amp but why would they give u this option if its not really a safe option?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
What Gene was saying was to keep the Marantz in the 8-ohm setting no matter what the impedance rating of your speakers. It will shut itself off if it overheats.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think your car audio example depends if you have separate amp channels for each speaker or not....but yes I'd agree just leave the setting at the higher impedance setting in the avr, something I've always done. Just don't double up speakers on one amp channel on the avr and the impedance shouldn't be an issue (except perhaps when pushing low impedance speakers to very high output levels where it might shut itself off in protection mode). The Crown would be more capable for lower impedance loads in any case.

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
Yea, i typically run my .movies at or around -10 to reference

I just want to make sure i dont ruin my receiver or speakers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Make sure it has plenty of air all around or active cooling so it doesnt run too hot and you shoud be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yea, i typically run my .movies at or around -10 to reference

I just want to make sure i dont ruin my receiver or speakers.
I suggest that you get a couple of very affordable AC Infinity fans to put on top of the SR5013 to keep it cooler and therefore prolong its longevity:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I suggest that you get a couple of very affordable AC Infinity fans to put on top of the SR5013 to keep it cooler and therefore prolong its longevity:

Those work really well.

If you do end up buying a crown (or any other amp) you can turn Eco ON in your AVR and that will also allow it to run much cooler.

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
Ty vm

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ty vm

I have form with that 5013 receiver and it does not really like low impedance loads.

I put it in my old AV room for the new owners, and wished I had specked an external amp.

I used these for left and right These are four ohm spec. They are Elac UniFi.

This matching center. That is 4 ohm.

These Elac surrounds. These are 6 ohm.

I did get some FRs.

This was the mains. The 50 Hz bump gave them a somewhat warm sound.

The Center. I inadvertently had the HSU subs running for this and the surrounds.

As you can see that speaker had just a touch of 'shout'.

The surrounds, which were very good.

Anyhow they really sounded pretty good at very moderate to low volume. I if driven to concert pitch the sound was very gritty and the wrong side of pleasant.
But the receiver, even though it had tons of room and was not in the least constricted for ventilation got as hot as a pistol. I had the distinct feeling I could easily have blown it up with very little effort. It had a very nasty blow up any minute feel to it.

So I advised them to be very cautious with the volume setting and not let their children near it!

So that receiver was not a good fit for those speakers and I doubt yours.

However I think really this newer crop of receivers are good for low volume and I suspect not up to providing concert levels.

That rig really did need a three channel 4 ohm stable amp. Honestly any amp that can not properly drive a four amp load is basically junk. Its time the pretense was stopped and we go to pre/pros and external amps as the norm.

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
Im going to buy an amp i believe, found a crown xli 1500 for 179$ for now at least.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Does the SR5013 have preouts for a separate amp?

*Edit: I see now it does. For some reason I didn't think the 5*** series had a full set of pre outs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Does the SR5013 have preouts for a separate amp?

*Edit: I see now it does. For some reason I didn't think the 5*** series had a full set of pre outs.
If it had not I would never have recommended it. I suspect I will eventually be hauling all the power amps out of that unit and converting it to a pre/pro. I really regret not going with a prepro. I don't think I will ever use a receiver again in any installation I do. As far as I'm concerned they are just junk period. That receiver sounded OK at low volume, but when pushed at all it was awful. I could never have lived with it. It was far, far worse than any respectable vintage two channel rig.

I am totally amazed that members here can not discern the really poor audio quality of these units. I suppose with pop music and movies you don't hear the sonic degradation, as it comes already degraded. One of the test pieces I used was the Dies irae from the Verdi Requiem. The HSU subs did a good job of reproducing the mighty bass drum's pounding beats,but the sound of the choir was excruciating. I'm pretty sure it was not the speakers. I have not had a chance to evaluate current receivers until this caused me to have to. I was appalled at how dreadful this one was. No amps do not sound the same, not by a long shot.

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
If it had not I would never have recommended it. I suspect I will eventually be hauling all the power amps out of that unit and converting it to a pre/pro. I really regret not going with a prepro. I don't think I will ever use a receiver again in any installation I do. As far as I'm concerned they are just junk period. That receiver sounded OK at low volume, but when pushed at all it was awful. I could never have lived with it. It was far, far worse than any respectable vintage two channel rig.

I am totally amazed that members here can not discern the really poor audio quality of these units. I suppose with pop music and movies you don't hear the sonic degradation, as it comes already degraded. One of the test pieces I used was the Dies irae from the Verdi Requiem. The HSU subs did a good job of reproducing the mighty bass drum's pounding beats,but the sound of the choir was excruciating. I'm pretty sure it was not the speakers. I have not had a chance to evaluate current receivers until this caused me to have to. I was appalled at how dreadful this one was. No amps do not sound the same, not by a long shot.
Im sure most of us would love to buy power amps for every speaker and a massive pre amp, processor etc.

The sad truth is , most of us make do with the budget we have im afraid.

Hindsight is 20/20 , but if i could go back in time, id likely go back to McIntosh but i fell into 4k and ive paid the price as i simply cant afford todays era of equipment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Economic reality may be a bit harder for some far above the norm to comprehend at a guess. I think more of the way good quality audio has been spread to the masses so to speak over my lifetime instead of a relatively priveleged few. Diminishing returns can be really hard to justify too.

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
This i agree. Even with the financial surplus, i couldnt imagine paying 20k+ for cables

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This i agree. Even with the financial surplus, i couldnt imagine paying 20k+ for cables

Oh, please don't. They cost so much less for perfectly good ones :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis