MiniDSP vs onboard graphic eq?

S

Steven Wallace

Audiophyte
I just ordered a UMIK-1 to start using REW to measure my system and reading up on it I keep seeing references to using a minidsp to apply the filter corrections from REW to fix what the mic reads. How much better would the minidsp be vs just using the graphic EQ built into my Onkyo TX NR 676 receiver? The 676 allows me to EQ each speaker separately with 9 bands (25hz-16khz +-6db) for each speaker, and 5 bands for the sub (25hz-160hz +-6db). Of course there's no Q factor so I can't adjust band width.

Is the idea that the MiniDSP has more exact control of bands (qfactor), a higher quantity of available adjustments, and/or a greater decibel amount for each adjustment? Is this really that dramatic of an improvement over Onkyo's graphic eq?

My system is a 3.1.4 based on Klipsch RP280s, 4 in-ceiling 8" Miccas, and a monolith 15" sub in a 5000+ cuft great room. I'm trying to see if I need a second sub and also just even out my frequency response in general. And also have some fun!

Thanks in advance!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only way to use the miniDSP is with your sub (as you can place it between pre-out and the sub; no such facility for the avr's built-in amps), and its more extensive controls would be superior to those in the avr, too. It's particularly handy for multiple subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis