miniDSP SHD DAC w/DIRAC Live

J

JDD

Audiophyte
I was in a similar place a few years ago as you. I had an MA7900 and I decided I wanted to add room eq. Purchased an DDRC24 (basically a minidsp 2x4hd with dirac). With it I could add room eq and a sub. After reading that the minidsp 2x4hd had a relatively poor dac, it let me to the SHD which is really good. But the SHD is a dac/crossover/manual eq/dirac all in one box... basically a full preamp. This made me basically have 2 preamps... in the McIntosh and the SHD. Decided this was redundant and sold the ma7900 and got a McInotsh Amp (MC252) instead to go with the SHD. To answer your question though, yes the can loop analog out of the mcintosh into the shd and the shd will do the eq and crossovers etc and loop back into the mcintosh. I decided this was a bit complicated as there is 2 volume controls etc. It can work, but I found it to be complicated.
I am surprised that McIntosh hasn't realeased an integrated with Roomperfect that is in their high end home theater units...
I understand what your saying it is complicated having 2 preamp volumes/inputs/controls, the wife thinks its complicated now. Switching to an amplifier instead of an integrated amplifier isn't a problem in itself.
Seems for long term there are not enough analog inputs and no HDMI inputs on the SHD. Maybe an additional HDMI switch > SHD? Any thoughts?

The DAC I currently have was just to connect the TV > SPDIF with all of its device inputs to > analog input on the MA6600. Replacing the DAC with the SHD - perfect.

After thinking this through... seems the one item with issue is the analog AM/FM Tuner, no where to plug in except the MA6600. Any ideas here?

Current connections: (DAC being returned/replaced by SHD)
TV using SPDIF > DAC > analog > MA6600
Play Station HDMI > TV > SPDIF > DAC > analog > MA6600
Blu-Ray HDMI > TV > SPDIF > DAC > analog > MA6600; Also prefer for music analog out > MA6600 (note Blu-Ray has coax dig out could use for SHD)
McIntosh AM/FM tuner/analog > MA6600

And thanks so much for the quick response. I'm about to pull the trigger on the SHD but want to make sure I have a solid plan.

One more question, it seems the miniDSP WI-DG WiFi bridge would be best for connection to a laptop, does the SHD support this?

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
I understand what your saying it is complicated having 2 preamp volumes/inputs/controls, the wife thinks its complicated now. Switching to an amplifier instead of an integrated amplifier isn't a problem in itself.
Seems for long term there are not enough analog inputs and no HDMI inputs on the SHD. Maybe an additional HDMI switch > SHD? Any thoughts?

The DAC I currently have was just to connect the TV > SPDIF with all of its device inputs to > analog input on the MA6600. Replacing the DAC with the SHD - perfect.

After thinking this through... seems the one item with issue is the analog AM/FM Tuner, no where to plug in except the MA6600. Any ideas here?

Blu-Ray HDMI > TV > SPDIF > DAC > analog > MA6600; Also prefer for music analog out > MA6600 (note Blu-Ray has coax dig out could use for SHD)

And thanks so much for the quick response. I'm about to pull the trigger on the SHD but want to make sure I have a solid plan.

One more question, it seems the miniDSP WI-DG WiFi bridge would be best for connection to a laptop, does the SHD support this?
Once you start getting into video ... hdmi, and other inputs, I think the SHD starts to loose its appeal. In my opinion integrating HDMI and your other sources are much better served going to a receiver or something like the NADC658. I used the minidsp shd in our living room/tv setup for a while but things are more complicated.

J

JDD

Audiophyte
Once you start getting into video ... hdmi, and other inputs, I think the SHD starts to loose its appeal. In my opinion integrating HDMI and your other sources are much better served going to a receiver or something like the NADC658. I used the minidsp shd in our living room/tv setup for a while but things are more complicated.
OMG, the NADC658 is a perfect choice, your awesome! Unbelievable the amount of digital & analog inputs/outputs, Sabre DAC, Dirac, streaming (which I do not have yet and was looking for options), and can for the time being eliminate the MA6600 preamp using the C658 preamp and just use the MA6600 200watt amp. You have given me a total solution, I can also return the Chord Cutest DAC. Thank you so very much!

Too bad Amir at ASR hasn't retested...

Last edited:
D

DJ7675

Audioholic
OMG, the NADC658 is a perfect choice, your awesome! Unbelievable the amount of digital & analog inputs/outputs, Sabre DAC, Dirac, streaming (which I do not have yet and was looking for options), and can for the time being eliminate the MA6600 preamp using the C658 preamp and just use the MA6600 200watt amp. You have given me a total solution, I can also return the Chord Cutest DAC. Thank you so very much!
Very welcome. NAD has 2 other interesting choices if you want something completely integrated.. The NAD M10 and M33. But if you want an external amp, the c658 would make the most sense. Glad this will work for you.

redboat77

redboat77

Enthusiast

Thanks for outlining your connections. Isn't the Playstation itself a blueray player? Do you have yet a second one anyway? Just curious.

I'm also thinking about getting some sort of room equalization capability and pondering how best to do it while also supporting stereo audio and sound for movies, all within the limited space of my cabinet and living room, but my question above has little to do with that.

NAD has some interesting choices, but the ASR measurements of the C658 were a little confusing.

Definitely would like to get something with room equalization SW built-in.

Right now I have an old Harman Kardon 3490 integrated amp with a quality ADC/DAC (AKM AK4589) and Dolby Virtual center speaker processing, and I stream digital audio from wifi to it via an optical cable for high res music and movies. The sound is actually very good, but would be nice to replace it with a single box that also had room equalization AND some sort of Dolby Virtual center speaker; I don't want more than 2 speakers (plus a subwoofer) in my space - just bought a pair of Salk Sound Song3 BeATs floorstanding speakers to upgrade some 25 year old Boston Acoustic CR7 bookshelf speakers. I'm not look for an audio shrine altar, just excellent sound for movies and audio that doesn't overwhelm the room with electronic boxes and speakers.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis