Mini amp suggestions?

J

JonnyG83

Enthusiast
Hey I have a friend looking for a general use stereo. I like helping in situations like this because it helps me learn about this hobby along the way too. He wants it to be able to be used for the garage at the moment, but also for the back yard, kitchen, bedroom tv set. We were brain storming about possible solutions and the ones that came to mind were a mini amp like the smsl ad18 with bookshelves - current front runner choice or 2.1 computer speakers like the Harmon kardon soundsticks used - current 2nd choice or lastly a sound bar and sub (maybe vizio) or powered bookshelves.

Do you guys think a mini amp is the right way to go? 2.1 computer speakers seem like a good bang for your buck setup, but possibly not enough power and if wanted to be used for the tv set in the bedroom hopefully the tv allows the volume to be adjusted by the remote through the headphone jack and you could just leave the speakers on at all times. A sound bar and sub seem ok if it were just for a tv. I'm not too familiar with powered bookshelves. The mini amp seems the most versatile and hifi. He personally doesn't Need it to be hifi, just good sounding.

So if a mini amp is the best choice would you guys have any to suggest us look at? He personally likes the look/form factor of the smsl sa50, but having Bluetooth is important. The smsl ad18 looks like it has all the features, but doesn't like the form factor as much. It's not based on form factor, but before pulling the trigger on something like this are there more models any of you guys could suggest we look at? It would be nice to have Bluetooth, remote control, sub out (is that needed if the sub is powered?), get decently loud for a back yard and under $200.

Thanks a lot for any help

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
He wants it to be able to be used for the garage at the moment, but also for the back yard, kitchen, bedroom tv set.
So the idea to buy 4 systems or buy one and move it around?
It would be nice to have Bluetooth, remote control, sub out (is that needed if the sub is powered?), get decently loud for a back yard and under $200.
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1850DB-Bookshelf-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B073W1R4XQ?ref=ast_p_ep
Probably for louder (especially bassy) music, he should add a sub, like this one:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

J

JonnyG83

Enthusiast
The idea is for 1 system that can move around as needed. Not meant to be portable it won't be moving all the time, but he is doing a lot of work in the shop lately and would like a nice stereo that can be used later when he's finished there in the other ways listed.

We will definitely look into those speakers. I have found it hard to find comparisons on powered bookshelves or computer 2.1s. I can find reviews, but without comparisons it's hard to judge.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The idea is for 1 system that can move around as needed. Not meant to be portable it won't be moving all the time, but he is doing a lot of work in the shop lately and would like a nice stereo that can be used later when he's finished there in the other ways listed.

We will definitely look into those speakers. I have found it hard to find comparisons on powered bookshelves or computer 2.1s. I can find reviews, but without comparisons it's hard to judge.
These days, one can almost as affordably set up a separate system for each purpose and have a better match for each space.

If he's in the shop a lot, DIY is a great option to get nice equipment at substantial savings as well.

Powered bookshelves I have owned are the Sound Sticks mentioned, and the JBL LSR 305. Both were/are great. The JBL won't need a sub and would probably be the best bet for semi-portable or even portable use. I have my JBL's at work hooked up to an echo dot and they work great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis