Miller & Kreisel M&K S-1B tweeter evolution

D

DetailsDetails

Audiophyte
Hey folks...

New to the site and this is my first posting so please be gentle. I'm looking to pick up a pair of S-1B's but am trying to learn whether there was any sonic improvement when the tweeters changed from 1st to 2nd generation. In the first iteration, their lead (?) wires are clear-cemented to the face plate while in the newer version, those wires are hidden beneath a round flat plastic 'collar' (perhaps a wave guide of sorts?) Instinctively it seems like the Gen II didn't add that ring for no reason but I'm a neophyte in this arena. Any other information about the differences between these two units would be most appreciated!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey folks...

New to the site and this is my first posting so please be gentle. I'm looking to pick up a pair of S-1B's but am trying to learn whether there was any sonic improvement when the tweeters changed from 1st to 2nd generation. In the first iteration, their lead (?) wires are clear-cemented to the face plate while in the newer version, those wires are hidden beneath a round flat plastic 'collar' (perhaps a wave guide of sorts?) Instinctively it seems like the Gen II didn't add that ring for no reason but I'm a neophyte in this arena. Any other information about the differences between these two units would be most appreciated!
One has a waveguide and the other does not. I assume it was done for a reason. It would change the distribution pattern.

alesead

alesead

Audiophyte
Hey folks...

New to the site and this is my first posting so please be gentle. I'm looking to pick up a pair of S-1B's but am trying to learn whether there was any sonic improvement when the tweeters changed from 1st to 2nd generation. In the first iteration, their lead (?) wires are clear-cemented to the face plate while in the newer version, those wires are hidden beneath a round flat plastic 'collar' (perhaps a wave guide of sorts?) Instinctively it seems like the Gen II didn't add that ring for no reason but I'm a neophyte in this arena. Any other information about the differences between these two units would be most appreciated! dollar tree compass
Welcome to the forum! The difference you noticed between the first and second generation S-1B tweeters likely reflects a design improvement aimed at enhancing sound quality. The addition of the round flat plastic collar (or wave guide) in the Gen II model is intended to improve dispersion and reduce distortion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis