Mid level audio setup

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Is the room more reflective (with mostly bare walls) and hard floor? That can cause problems at higher levels. If you clap your hands and hear multiple reflections, I would suggest a rug, to start.
Oh, sorry, should have specified this was at my local (well, 40 miles away) hi-fi store. He let's me chose the songs, and on the amplifier of my choosing so I am familiar with what I'm listening to. It is carpeted, and a 360 degree wall of floor speakers and a upper rear shelf of bookshelf speakers. I was auditioning for a stereo for my mother, as mine is done (according to the fiance for 20 years unless something blows) lol. I like to use Eric Clapton live unplugged, as it's what I call "simple acoustics" and find it shows differences in audio comparisons. Again, I'm by far no pro, just like what I like. I also am a firm believer, for speakers, you have to audition, with your music. You could have Amber Heard play the role of a Disney princess, but if she sounds like Fran Drescher, probably wont get the part. : )

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Klipsch rp500m, it was 70 db about 8ft away, that's generally what I listen too, at about 75db, the lows and highs separated too much in my opinion when going against the paradigm B100s, playing eric clapton. Was shocked with all the positivereviews. They did sound great with classical though. Just saying I always had pretty good luck with polk, and often recommended them against the BOSE systems that everyone thinks is the best. However side note, I'd probably step the sub up to a JBL sub. I also didn't mind the elac speaker line, and could see that as a step up from polk with out blowing peoples budgets.

You used an spl meter in the showroom and this is the average level? Or is it a volume scale reading? I doubt you'll find anyone here saying Bose is the best. JBL doesn't have much these days in the way of subs, I'd definitely look elsewhere for a sub.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
You used an spl meter in the showroom and this is the average level? Or is it a volume scale reading? I doubt you'll find anyone here saying Bose is the best. JBL doesn't have much these days in the way of subs, I'd definitely look elsewhere for a sub.
Just a phone app. Nothing scientific. I was thinking JBL for a sub because I'm not too keen on the polk 10" sub. I'm sure there are other subs out there. I'd budget the system as $300 reciever, $300 sub, and $300 pair/speakers. If I were doing a low budget system like OP, I also wouldn't be afraid to go used. Seen some nice old school receivers for $100, get a cleaning kit for the pots and connectors, and some used infinity CMMD bookshelves. (Always seen em for sale around me anyways, not bad for $100) as for Bose not being popular on here, well, that's why I love it here! Hahaha. But really, if you ask my fiance's father, my coworkers, or general public, they'll all say Bose.
My personal feelings on them are for every $100 on bose, $85 of that goes to their advertising....end result is for the $$$ , one could do much better. I got my first pair of paradigms (what restarted all of this!) From her dad that swears his bose 301s are hands down the best speakers ever......

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Also, average, between 70 and 75db. I honestly think I have super sensitive hearing as I wear hearing protection a lot, and often turn down my system when she's watching tv, and constantly tell her to lower her voice. To me 75db is cranked up for my listening sessions.......

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a phone app. Nothing scientific. I was thinking JBL for a sub because I'm not too keen on the polk 10" sub. I'm sure there are other subs out there. I'd budget the system as $300 reciever, $300 sub, and $300 pair/speakers. If I were doing a low budget system like OP, I also wouldn't be afraid to go used. Seen some nice old school receivers for $100, get a cleaning kit for the pots and connectors, and some used infinity CMMD bookshelves. (Always seen em for sale around me anyways, not bad for $100) as for Bose not being popular on here, well, that's why I love it here! Hahaha. But really, if you ask my fiance's father, my coworkers, or general public, they'll all say Bose.
My personal feelings on them are for every $100 on bose, $85 of that goes to their advertising....end result is for the $$$ , one could do much better. I got my first pair of paradigms (what restarted all of this!) From her dad that swears his bose 301s are hands down the best speakers ever......

Well I certainly would pass on the Polk subs of recent years, can't think of any I'd recommend. Used subs are going to have to be locally sourced to be cost effective, and good ones don't come up too often where I live compared to the speaker possibilities (nearest city is Eugene, OR for craigslist purposes). Hard to aim at specific brands/models when shopping used, tho, depending how patient you are. I see a fair number of suitable used receivers (but often asking too much what with the overblown reputation for "vintage" gear), especially for audio only purposes, but care/use and age are potential concerns, too.

Bose is a very well known brand and advertising tends to work....I have friends who swear by Bose mostly because they haven't had anything else to compare to and bought on basis of being a "well known" brand.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Well I certainly would pass on the Polk subs of recent years, can't think of any I'd recommend. Used subs are going to have to be locally sourced to be cost effective, and good ones don't come up too often where I live compared to the speaker possibilities (nearest city is Eugene, OR for craigslist purposes). Hard to aim at specific brands/models when shopping used, tho, depending how patient you are. I see a fair number of suitable used receivers (but often asking too much what with the overblown reputation for "vintage" gear), especially for audio only purposes, but care/use and age are potential concerns, too.

Bose is a very well known brand and advertising tends to work....I have friends who swear by Bose mostly because they haven't had anything else to compare to and bought on basis of being a "well known" brand.
Boy, you ain't kidding with the "its vintage so its gold" thing. But for instance I got a technics 40wpc integrated amp for free because the volume knob was scratchy, and the A/B switch would sometimes drop the right speaker to 10%. A quick cleaning with a kit I found online, works so good I bought a matching manual tuner to go with. The heart of my current system is a marantz SR7007, i picked up for either $300 or $350. Always wanted one, but never had the $ to. Just saying patience is a virtue......
That's why I would drag my friends to my apartment and show em my polk system with denon reciever and play a few quick movie scenes to show them for the same price as bose, you could have this......

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis