Mid level audio setup

D

dfrosty32

Audiophyte
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions on equipment for a beginner/mid level setup. I have owned a few pairs of bookshelf speakers before but wanted to upgrade the ones that I have as they lack on the low and higher ends. I am going to mainly use this setup with my AT-LP120X turntable so the bass doesn’t have to be insane because most of the music I will listen to on it won’t have much on the lower end but I always like a little.
My idea was to get a pair of bookends and possibly a smaller sub to pair with them but if anyone has suggestions for a good pair of bookends that would get me some good lows, instead of having to buy both I could spend more on just the bookends. Thanks for any help!

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
We need a little more information. Budget , room size, how loud do you listen,how far away is your mlp?

D

dfrosty32

Audiophyte
We need a little more information. Budget , room size, how loud do you listen,how far away is your mlp?
Budget is pretty relaxed but let’s say under 1000 for starters. Room size is a square 15x15. I’m not into listening at extreme volumes but when I listen to some of the older rap vinyls I have or if I’m playing through a digital source I’d like to be able to get them decently loud. The LP would be on the other side of the room about 10-12 feet away

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Budget is pretty relaxed but let’s say under 1000 for starters. Room size is a square 15x15. I’m not into listening at extreme volumes but when I listen to some of the older rap vinyls I have or if I’m playing through a digital source I’d like to be able to get them decently loud. The LP would be on the other side of the room about 10-12 feet away
You should get plenty of suggestions for members. You have a decent budget for a pair of bookshelves and Audioholics love spending other people’s money.lol j/k.
Also what will you be powering the speakers with?

D

dfrosty32

Audiophyte
You should get plenty of suggestions for members. You have a decent budget for a pair of bookshelves and Audioholics love spending other people’s money.lol j/k.
Also what will you be powering the speakers with?
Depends because most of the speakers I have checked out now are powered so I haven’t done much looking into a receiver. The LP has a preamp but I haven’t tested the quality/power it can push on a decent pair of non powered speakers yet so I would probably just stick with powered bookends if that’s possible for my goals.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The line out from the AT's built in pre-amp is spec'd at 150mV, which may not be sufficient to drive an amp or active speakers on its own. If you do get active speakers then you'd possibly need a receiver with pre-outs (or a dedicated pre-amp). You would use only the tt as source?

Last edited:
D

dfrosty32

Audiophyte
The line out from the AT's built in pre-amp is spec'd at 150mV, which may not be sufficient to drive an amp or active speakers on its own. If you do get active speakers then you'd need a receiver with pre-outs (or a dedicated pre-amp). You would use only the tt as source?
I would mainly be using it for the tt right now. Eventually when I get a receiver/DAC I would listen to digital as well. I have a DAC that I use currently for some speakers but the quality isn’t the best.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would mainly be using it for the tt right now. Eventually when I get a receiver/DAC I would listen to digital as well. I have a DAC that I use currently for some speakers but the quality isn’t the best.
I left out "possibly" fr the receiver/pre-amp comment in my post, now fixed.

I tend to think of the long term for use of gear. I'd decide on speakers first as they're the most important piece. What speakers do you have now? Or do you think somehow the dac is deficient?

D

dfrosty32

Audiophyte
I left out "possibly" fr the receiver/pre-amp comment in my post, now fixed.

I tend to think of the long term for use of gear. I'd decide on speakers first as they're the most important piece. What speakers do you have now? Or do you think somehow the dac is deficient?
The speakers that I’m using the DAC with are ones my dad and I built almost 10 years ago and they’re starting to show some wear lol. The DAC that I have I got on amazon for like 20$ and replaced an old one so the quality isn’t the best but it does the trick. I’m leaning more towards getting a good pair of bookends right now. If anyone has suggestions on some within my budget that have a good range with decent lows that would be greatly appreciated. I agree that these would be the most important piece of my setup.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, if I've read previous posts from you correctly, you are predisposed to amped speakers and thus have not considered an integrated amp. If I were you I would abandon that position for one which better supports your objective. Here's an idea which would satisfy. Buy a Marantz PM7000n Integrated Amp and a pair of JBL Stage A170 Speakers. You will have a great sounding outfit for under $1500, which can bypass your TT's preamp; and, you can add a powered sub when budget permits. Also, with this particular amp you can enjoy hi-res streams from you favorite streaming service. https://www.us.marantz.com/en-us/shop/hificomponents/pm7000n https://www.jbl.com/stage-loudspeaker-series/STAGE+A170.html?cgid=stage-loudspeaker-series&dwvar_STAGE A170_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speakers that I’m using the DAC with are ones my dad and I built almost 10 years ago and they’re starting to show some wear lol. The DAC that I have I got on amazon for like 20$ and replaced an old one so the quality isn’t the best but it does the trick. I’m leaning more towards getting a good pair of bookends right now. If anyone has suggestions on some within my budget that have a good range with decent lows that would be greatly appreciated. I agree that these would be the most important piece of my setup.
Most of us use examples from experience so I will do the same :) Some passive bookshelf speaker ideas:

I have a pair of the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1s (actually L/C/R) that I've enjoyed a lot and the current sales price is pretty good http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html altho if you can bump up your budget to $1500 or so the Sierra-2 or Sierra-2 EX look pretty nice too.

Since you built some speakers before, I've also built this kit and they're quite nice (and were the basis for one series of Dennis Murphy's Affordable Accuracy speakers when he had Philharmonic Audio going) https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-br-1-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-monitor-speaker-kit-pair--300-640

I also have some JBL 530s, altho I've never used them as mains, several others here have, unfortunately a recent sale is over at which they were an especially good bargain.

For active speakers I have some JBL 305s, which I consider a great bargain as well. I'd really like to try the 705s, but they're a bit pricier.

What is the pair you and your dad built?

D

dfrosty32

Audiophyte
Most of us use examples from experience so I will do the same :) Some passive bookshelf speaker ideas:

I have a pair of the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1s (actually L/C/R) that I've enjoyed a lot and the current sales price is pretty good http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html altho if you can bump up your budget to $1500 or so the Sierra-2 or Sierra-2 EX look pretty nice too.

Since you built some speakers before, I've also built this kit and they're quite nice (and were the basis for one series of Dennis Murphy's Affordable Accuracy speakers when he had Philharmonic Audio going) https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-br-1-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-monitor-speaker-kit-pair--300-640

I also have some JBL 530s, altho I've never used them as mains, several others here have, unfortunately a recent sale is over at which they were an especially good bargain.

For active speakers I have some JBL 305s, which I consider a great bargain as well. I'd really like to try the 705s, but they're a bit pricier.

What is the pair you and your dad built?
I haven’t looked at the sierra’s yet but I will have to give them a look. The JBL’s I have heard we’re great in their price range especially the 305’s. My dad and I built a pair of dual-driver monitors with tweeters that I had to design for a school project. They looked great and got pretty loud, but the sound ended up being a little lacking which is why they currently reside in our shop .
I was already looking into the SVS Ultras like @Pogre mentioned and also the Klipsch RP 160M’s. The Klipsch I have heard I would need a center channel/sub for them ASAP as they lack a lot of the lower end. I intend to get a center channel/sub down the line anyways, but I guess my intention was to find a pair that would fit most of what I’m looking for in the meantime while I gather the rest of my setup and the SVS Ultra seem to be a decent fit but I will definitely have to research the sierra line.
Thoughts on either pair of the two I mentioned?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven’t looked at the sierra’s yet but I will have to give them a look. The JBL’s I have heard we’re great in their price range especially the 305’s. My dad and I built a pair of dual-driver monitors with tweeters that I had to design for a school project. They looked great and got pretty loud, but the sound ended up being a little lacking which is why they currently reside in our shop .
I was already looking into the SVS Ultras like @Pogre mentioned and also the Klipsch RP 160M’s. The Klipsch I have heard I would need a center channel/sub for them ASAP as they lack a lot of the lower end. I intend to get a center channel/sub down the line anyways, but I guess my intention was to find a pair that would fit most of what I’m looking for in the meantime while I gather the rest of my setup and the SVS Ultra seem to be a decent fit but I will definitely have to research the sierra line.
Thoughts on either pair of the two I mentioned?
I have a pair of SVS speakers from a few years before...the MBS-02 (slightly larger than the Ultra bookshelf I believe, at least the woofer). You can't beat their free trial offers either, so you can test them in the convenience of your own home. I'd definitely consider these.

Another risk free trial can be had from RSL altho I can't point you to specific models other than the sub from memory.

I had a roommate who had some older Klipsch bookshelfs (RF series IIRC) and have heard some in BB, they don't do it for me (but love the old Klipschorn speakers, have heard those before). I hear nice things about the latest RP series, tho no experience.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I personally didn't like the RP series when played above 70db, but that's just me. I'd try to build a nice 2.1 setup, I always recommended polk audio to my friends starting out as I always felt for the $, sound was pretty great. Maybe a set of polk bookshelves and a powered sub, and a yamaha stereo reciever? That's my opinion. Never really been satisfied with bookshelves (even $2k pair) without a powered sub.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I personally didn't like the RP series when played above 70db, but that's just me. I'd try to build a nice 2.1 setup, I always recommended polk audio to my friends starting out as I always felt for the $, sound was pretty great. Maybe a set of polk bookshelves and a powered sub, and a yamaha stereo reciever? That's my opinion. Never really been satisfied with bookshelves (even $2k pair) without a powered sub.

Which RP speakers? Only 70dB? That's pathetic.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Which RP speakers? Only 70dB? That's pathetic.
Klipsch rp500m, it was 70 db about 8ft away, that's generally what I listen too, at about 75db, the lows and highs separated too much in my opinion when going against the paradigm B100s, playing eric clapton. Was shocked with all the positivereviews. They did sound great with classical though. Just saying I always had pretty good luck with polk, and often recommended them against the BOSE systems that everyone thinks is the best. However side note, I'd probably step the sub up to a JBL sub. I also didn't mind the elac speaker line, and could see that as a step up from polk with out blowing peoples budgets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Klipsch rp500m, it was 70 db about 8ft away, that's generally what I listen too, at about 75db, the lows and highs separated too much in my opinion when going against the paradigm B100s, playing eric clapton. Was shocked with all the positivereviews. They did sound great with classical though. Just saying I always had pretty good luck with polk, and often recommended them against the BOSE systems that everyone thinks is the best. However side note, I'd probably step the sub up to a JBL sub. I also didn't mind the elac speaker line, and could see that as a step up from polk with out blowing peoples budgets.

Could easily be your room to a great extent, or your positioning/setup. 70dB is a simple load for most speakers at a reasonable distance. Polk, Klipsch and Bose are mostly consumer brands that I don't really consider OTOH.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Could easily be your room to a great extent, or your positioning/setup. 70dB is a simple load for most speakers at a reasonable distance. Polk, Klipsch and Bose are mostly consumer brands that I don't really consider OTOH.
It was roughly a 12x15 foot room, I auditioned them about a month ago as I was shopping for my mother's stereo system. They were 8" away from the wall, woofers at ear level, tweeters a few inches higher, tied in to cross intersect about 4 ft behind me. Like I said they sounded surprisingly good, and more smooth than the old tweeter ones, but when starting to lay it on, it's like the woofer wasn't responding as fast as the tweeter, and that caused a midrange gap? No expert here, but I did start with polks , and liked how they sounded, especially with a denon.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It was roughly a 12x15 foot room, I auditioned them about a month ago as I was shopping for my mother's stereo system. They were 8" away from the wall, woofers at ear level, tweeters a few inches higher, tied in to cross intersect about 4 ft behind me. Like I said they sounded surprisingly good, and more smooth than the old tweeter ones, but when starting to lay it on, it's like the woofer wasn't responding as fast as the tweeter, and that caused a midrange gap? No expert here, but I did start with polks , and liked how they sounded, especially with a denon.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Is the room more reflective (with mostly bare walls) and hard floor? That can cause problems at higher levels. If you clap your hands and hear multiple reflections, I would suggest a rug, to start.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis