Mid 2014 XBox One Vs. PS4?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I know that we've had a thread or 2 on this topic, but those have fizzled out.

So, now that we are mid-year 2014 and everyone has had some more time with the PS4 and XBox One, and the manufacturers have had some time to work on them, I wanted to revive this discussion.

I have found that my highly-customized XBox 360 controller is starting to wear out on me, so rather than spend $ on a new controller, I would rather put that $ to use on a new gaming system.

Let the discussion begin. What are the thoughts on the 2 consoles? Does one have a clear advantage in certain areas? Particular pet peeves? Etc. Help me make a definitive decision on which direction to go.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They've fixed most of my complaints about the PS4 with one exception - games; still need more. Lack of titles is still a thing for both of them though I think. Love the console, love the controllers. PSN gives you a lot of free games for the PS4, but so far, only a few of them are really good games like you got/get on the PS3 though. To be honest, I've stopped playing it as much lately. I only turned it on the other day to update it and see what was new for July, otherwise it's been off for a few weeks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
One thing I'm looking forward to is the Blu Ray playback, so I can take my Panny BDP to my 2nd system for FLAC playback. How is the PS4 on blu ray? Is it fairly quiet?

I had an original model XBOX 360 and that thing was jet-engine-loud when spinning up discs (but of course it RROD on me).

V

vaf

Enthusiast
Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. I also have a 360 and was thinking about waiting around until the xmas season to see if either new system would go on sale at all. Depends on when they stop making titles for 360 really. Unfortunately I don't get that much time to game anymore, and being a borderlands fan with a new game coming out in October, and all the usual FPS games they crank out every winter, I'll probably be held over until this time next year.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have both systems, and while I don't play a lot of video games, most of my time has been spent on my Xbox One

Played the heck out of Dead Rising 3 (all expansions completed). Had fun with Ryse and Tombraider(also on ps4) I really like the convenience of the voice commands to turn off the system.

PS4 -
Tried to get into Killzone, but couldn't, not that it's a bad game, just got bored fast. In all honestly I bought Halo 4 (when I had my 360) and never played it for more than 5 minutes, so I am probably just done with FPS for now

In my honest opinion, while I believe the PS4 to be the better system, neither one is that outstanding due to the fact that there are just not enough games out there to play. 8 months and all we have is really a handful of games. I think your best bet is to consider one right before/after Christmas Holiday when both companies will be focused on pumping out games. Having watched E3, I think Microsoft has the best games going into 2015, but I can see that changing quickly. Both systems will have good games to play.

Played Infamous Second Son and finished it with a lot of achievements. Fun game, but minimal replay value

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Just announced that the Xbox One is getting 3D functionality for Blu-ray next month in an update.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Currently, my preference for consoles is definitely PS4 over X1 (and the Wii U over both as it has more great games due to the head start plus my PC for stuff like Evil Within and The Witcher 3).

For me it really comes down to games for a games console and nothing else... not only is the ps4 the lead platform (therefore better performance) for a lot of multiplats I want (FFXV, FF Type-0, The Phantom Pain) it's also got more exclusives I'm interested in (Bloodborne, Rime, Order 1886, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered, Gran Turismo 7, The Last Guardian). Right now the only X1 game that really has my attention is Scalebound.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
One thing I'm looking forward to is the Blu Ray playback, so I can take my Panny BDP to my 2nd system for FLAC playback. How is the PS4 on blu ray? Is it fairly quiet?

I had an original model XBOX 360 and that thing was jet-engine-loud when spinning up discs (but of course it RROD on me).
Both the PS4 and Xbox One are VERY quiet. I actually prefer the xbox one for Blu-ray because Kinect works very well for that application in particular.

Either console you are getting incredible technology for the money that will be supported and constantly updated for many years to come.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I have both systems, and while I don't play a lot of video games, most of my time has been spent on my Xbox One

Played the heck out of Dead Rising 3 (all expansions completed). Had fun with Ryse and Tombraider(also on ps4) I really like the convenience of the voice commands to turn off the system.

PS4 -
Tried to get into Killzone, but couldn't, not that it's a bad game, just got bored fast. In all honestly I bought Halo 4 (when I had my 360) and never played it for more than 5 minutes, so I am probably just done with FPS for now

In my honest opinion, while I believe the PS4 to be the better system, neither one is that outstanding due to the fact that there are just not enough games out there to play. 8 months and all we have is really a handful of games. I think your best bet is to consider one right before/after Christmas Holiday when both companies will be focused on pumping out games. Having watched E3, I think Microsoft has the best games going into 2015, but I can see that changing quickly. Both systems will have good games to play.

Played Infamous Second Son and finished it with a lot of achievements. Fun game, but minimal replay value
Dead Rising 3 was an awesome game. Super fun. Ryse overall was underrated (even though repetitive) and it has one the best game soundtracks/sound designs for a video game. Didn't play Tombraider. Killzone 3 was one of the most generic shooters I have every played and Infamous was an incredibly stale open world game.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Dead Rising 3 was an awesome game. Super fun. Ryse overall was underrated (even though repetitive) and it has one the best game soundtracks/sound designs for a video game. Didn't play Tombraider. Killzone 3 was one of the most generic shooters I have every played and Infamous was an incredibly stale open world game.
I had fun with Infamous, but once you were done, your done.

I think lead platform is important in the beginning but tends not to make much of a difference further along in the life cycle.

As far as games, 1886 was my original pre-order before it got pushed,

Last of us Remastered I had sold my PS3 a while back and bought and sold it again just so I could play that game, which was very good, but that was not that long ago, and no desire to play it again so soon just for upgraded graphics

- Never got into GT,
- Bloodborne looks very interesting
- Uncharted 4, I just hope its more like 2 than 3

Xbox One for me has a lot more I am looking forward to;
- Crackdown
- Fable Legends (Played Fable II and all expansions, Fable III not as good)
- Sunset Overdrive
- Halo Collection (I know I am a hypocrite, but Halo 1 1080p/60 brings me back to youth and 4 Games vs one remix) :)
- Quantum Break, if they can pull off what they are trying to accomplish, could be great.
- Phantom Dust
- Scalebound, not sure what to make of it yet, but does look pretty interesting

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I had fun with Infamous, but once you were done, your done.

I think lead platform is important in the beginning but tends not to make much of a difference further along in the life cycle.

As far as games, 1886 was my original pre-order before it got pushed,

Last of us Remastered I had sold my PS3 a while back and bought and sold it again just so I could play that game, which was very good, but that was not that long ago, and no desire to play it again so soon just for upgraded graphics

- Never got into GT,
- Bloodborne looks very interesting
- Uncharted 4, I just hope its more like 2 than 3

Xbox One for me has a lot more I am looking forward to;
- Crackdown
- Fable Legends (Played Fable II and all expansions, Fable III not as good)
- Sunset Overdrive
- Halo Collection (I know I am a hypocrite, but Halo 1 1080p/60 brings me back to youth and 4 Games vs one remix) :)
- Quantum Break, if they can pull off what they are trying to accomplish, could be great.
- Phantom Dust
- Scalebound, not sure what to make of it yet, but does look pretty interesting
Sunset Overdrive is my most anticipated exclusive console title. Very intriguing game.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've had both. I returned the PS4 because at launch it wouldn't play 3D BD's or even CD's. But after having the Xbox for about 6 months I'm really thinking about going back to the PS4. Mainly because I play BF4 a lot and the PS people just seem to be A LOT more fun to play with. For some reason almost NO ONE on the Xbox uses their headset and that just totally kills the team play aspect that is the core of Battlefield.

Also the Kinect doesn't work very well for me. I have to repeat my commands a lot and I've even had the thing bring up a window for One Guide or something else while I was playing BF4. I don't know what it thought I said but it's gotten me killed a few times. The one thing I am going to miss on the Xbox is Xbox Fitness. But I would assume the PS4 has something similar.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't use my PS4 for Blu-ray or streaming anymore either. I used to use it a lot for Netflix because it has the best interface, but the FireTV is actually faster streamer with more options, thought the Netflix interface itself has some functions that can't be accessed as easily (audio track selection, episode browsing menu from the episode menu, etc...) but those are minor. PS4 on the other hand currently has no remote so you have to use the controller which shuts off or kills its battery. The Fire TV remote is bluetooth also, so doesn't need line of sight just like the PS4. For movies I always use the Oppo. 3D games look impressive on the PS4, but there are very few of them.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The Kinect-less Xbox is supposed to be coming out and it should actually run better than the current Xbox since you don't have the Kinect tying up resources.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Kinectless xb1 has been out since June.
I went with the xb1 because it does more for me than a ps4 would. I am not a hardcore gamer, I play maybe 5-7 games a year. And now that apps no longer require you to have xbl to work, it made the decision a no brainier for me. And I actually like the Kinect and it works really well for me.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The Kinect-less Xbox is supposed to be coming out and it should actually run better than the current Xbox since you don't have the Kinect tying up resources.
They will run exactly the same. The minimum resources that are allocated for kinect are minimal now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
More or less admitting that they can't get the hardware price down and/or people don't actually want Kinect.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
More or less admitting that they can't get the hardware price down and/or people don't actually want Kinect.
When you offer more, things usually cost more. The problem with Kinect is that there is minimal support for it. I give Kudos to MS for at least trying to innovate, rather than just making another game system...problem is, people just wanted another game system.

Don't forget about the playstaton eye....I wait they already did, unless you want to see yourself with a bunch of tiny robots!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Got prompted for an update for the PS4 this morning which included 3D Blu-ray functionality!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis