Microsoft Xbox 360 Details & Specs

ALL games on the 360 are HD and it will be cool to see how it works as a media server. So far I am totally impressed with the video I've seen...

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
SilverMK3 said:
Anyway. I wonder if the media extender aspect of it will require you to have a Windows Media Center Edition PC, or if there will be some "server" software you can use on any Windows PC to host your video files. I've got several hundred GBs of video files that I'd love to be able to stream to my living room.
I believe that Microsoft said "any PC", but I'm assuming they mean "any XP PC". Originally, extenders were only for MCE, like you said, but this sounds like it will stream pics/vids/mp3s from any source ranging from your iPod to a media server. Microsoft is really stressing media integration, and they have to beat out Sony in this generation, so forcing MCE would not be an ideal setup. I'm going to be an optimist and say that more than likely it will interface with media files from any location.

For me, I've already got my HTPC in the living room, so the features of Xbox360 may be lost on me, but with the wireless capabilities and the FACT that there will be an Xbox360 on every TV in the house (I share a house with a few other gamers) there will be no shortage of media streaming here.

And let's just say that MCE is required, the software is only $120 and just as easy to setup as any other version of Windows.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I'd like to speculate on the HD playback and possibility of DVD-upscaling. There's no doubt that this console has an over-abundance of juice, so I wonder if ATI or Microsoft will include some method of DVD upconversion to HD. It only makes sense that they would, I just hope they arrive at a custom setup rather than going with the ATI DVD software (PowerDVD). They could effectively use some shaders within the hardware to add some excellent enhancement to our low-res DVDs...

Also, I'm excited to learn if the console will have HDMI or not. I'm assuming there will be a one-size-fits-all port in the rear that will allow for a wide variety of interconnects. I'm sure we'll see at LEAST DVI.

Oh yeah, I wanted to share this with you guys as well:

OK, Samsung and Microsoft have a deal going on for their in-store gaming kiosks, but there were rumors long ago that Xbox360 would truly be wireless in every sense of the word aside from the powercord. Now Microsoft worked out a custom connection with RCA televisions called V-Port (just a single-cable component video cable) for the first generation of Xbox. I'm willing to bet good money that we'll see Samsung HDTVs with a wireless connection ability for Xbox360 somewhere down the line. We've all been (at least I have) reading about the up-and-coming wireless standards and the fun toys utilizing the current 802.11a/b/g standards, so I'll just say now that a truly wireless Xbox360 may very well be a reality.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
jeffsg4mac said:
Huh, it's a supped up Mac. Isn't that curious coming from Microshaft? I wonder If I can install OS 10.4 on it :) ?
If you are referring to the use of the IBM proc, although Macs use IBM procs it's not a Mac.

What's worth mentioning is that IBM chip is basically 3 processors in one, plus it's RISC based technology which is perfectly suitable for video gaming. 1 Teraflop! we're talking supercomputer horsepower!

It looks ugly though, but the fact that HD is supported should definitely shake up the gaming industry into new territory.

I personally favor Sony PS systems but, man oh man, sony has some serious competition.

I can't wait for an XBOX 360 Halo version game! :D :) :D

I switched from Nintendo to PC gaming many years ago but this would definitely lure me back in... :D

Does anybody know what the retail price shoud be?

Last edited:
C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Does anyone know:
a) When it will be released?
b) How much it will cost?

Looks nice :) That'll be another addition to my audio/video setup when that's done!

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
HookedOnSound said:
If you are referring to the use of the IBM proc, although Macs use IBM procs it's not a Mac.

You all take things way too seriously. Did everyone miss the smiley face in my first post? I know it's NOT A MAC, DUH!!! :rolleyes:

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
jeffsg4mac said:
You all take things way too seriously. Did everyone miss the smiley face in my first post? I know it's NOT A MAC, DUH!!! :rolleyes:
LoL, of course it's not a MAC, it has more than ONE button! :D :)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
HookedOnSound said:
LoL, of course it's not a MAC, it has more than ONE button! :D :)
That's funny you say that; you know what the first thing Mac users like me do when they buy a new mac? They trash that F!@%ING one button mouse and get a 4 button one. Expose and Dashboard are useless without one. Every windows user I demo Expose and Dashboard to drool and they all say how do I get my computer to do that. Of course I say easy, you replace it with a mac and OS X, except for the mouse of course :) :) :D Keep that, it's the only good part of a PC. :D

Mac is the greatest computer platform in the world. Steve Jobs is awesome. Macs kill PCs. PCs suck.

(Shhhh! - It's the only way to make a Mac person go away... can we please talk about the Xbox now - or do I have to start deleting off-topic posts?) Hint: Do not respond to this post if it's not about the Xbox.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Seriously though, it looks like a nice game machine and all but do any of you really think Sony is going to sit still on this. They are going to counter with a better machine. They may have already, I don't know I don't keep up on games and game machines. Anyone have info on Sony's next machine and how it compares to Xbox2? I am sure Sony does not want to loose their position in the gaming industry. My boys have a PS2 and we have an Xbox in the house. I never have time for either one to be honest.

p.s., for the record I hate Steve Jobs, and PC's don't suck, just most of the operating systems that run on them :p

Last edited:
Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Price and release date

Cygnus said:
Does anyone know:
a) When it will be released?
b) How much it will cost?

Looks nice :) That'll be another addition to my audio/video setup when that's done!
From what ive been told Xbox360 will for released for Thanksgiving. There will be two versions one with no HardDrive and not backwards compatable 200-300 range. The other with a HD and backwards comptable 300-400 range.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Dumb question here, the specs say "Multi-channel surround sound output", so that means 5.1 right? So you can plug in a digital coax/optical cable into your receiver?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I dunno what all the hype concerning MC sound is about. Every game I've ever seen for the original Xbox had DD MC sound, so what's the big deal? I'm more interested in the price, release date, and whether it will play my original 'Box games.

I love the Xbox, but I think the P3 will stomp the new 360 from a technical standpoint. As good as the 360 will be, if the new Cell processor can meet 1/2 of it's hype it's gonna be staggering. I'm honestly more excited for the Playstation 3 than the 360.

And for the record, "XBox 360" is a retarded name. ;)

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
I posted earlier about Multi-channel support but I should have also asked how good does it sound?

I play occasionnaly with PC games and PS2 through 2 channel but I have never tried MC? any impressions?

Thanks,

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The sound is fantastic! I really draws you into the game- the sense of immersion is awesome, especially if you game on a 100" screen! :D It's very cool to be blasting away at The Covenant with Master Chief and hear them circling around behind you!

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Tsunamii said:
From what ive been told Xbox360 will for released for Thanksgiving. There will be two versions one with no HardDrive and not backwards compatable 200-300 range. The other with a HD and backwards comptable 300-400 range.
No, that is incorrect... well, at least partially. The price has not yet been disclosed, but "sources" within Microsoft say they won't deviate from the "magic" $300 MSRP. I'll buy it even if it's more, but the target range is between $250 and $300. The release date will be this fall, most likely in time for the Thanksgiving weekend sales.

There will NOT be two versions as previously speculated, there is only one version and it will come with a 20GB removeable/upgradeable hard drive. Backward compatibility has been officially confirmed via Bill Gates in an interview with Time Magazine (Xbox360 is the cover story) where he stated that Halo 2 would be playable with HD upgrades and that Halo 3 would launch next spring to counter the release hype of Playstation 3.

About the seemingly redundant emphasis on the surround sound, apparently there is upgraded audio components in Xbox360 that make, in the words of several developers, "a startling difference". Being extremely pleased with the current Xbox's DD capabilities, I have to say that I'm intrigued. I think it has to do with the fact that Xbox360 support more effects/sources per channel than Xbox.

I used to think Xbox360 was a retarded name as well, but it has really grown on me and its allusion to a "revolution" is fitting. I kinda wish they went with its codename "Xenon", but 360 beats "NeXtbox", IMO.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Thank the Gods it didn't end up "NeXtBox" or "Xbox Next"! :eek: Although, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a more tired, overworked clique than the "revolution" as applied to technology.

It would be cool if they upgraded the surround sound. As far as countering the PS3 "hype," good luck. With Bungee's track record, they'll be lucky to be ready in time to counter the PlayStation 4 hype. ;)

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
As far as countering the PS3 "hype," good luck. With Bungee's track record, they'll be lucky to be ready in time to counter the PlayStation 4 hype. ;)
That may be true, but I have been reading about a Halo 3 release date coinciding with the PS3 release date for a while now . . .

Of course, a Halo 3 launch title with the Xbox 360 would be the coolest, ever . . .

I wasn't that much of a gamer before Halo 2 / Xbox Live stepped in and commandeered 90 of my hours per week (just kidding, slightly). If Microsoft continues to play up the on-line component of its games (and the PS3 doesn't reciprocate), the 360 could be the next big gaming system (and force me to withdraw from school). :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I suspect that all platforms will rely heavily on net connectivity, whether MS, Nintendo or Sony. I have next to no use for online gaming, myself. I virtually never use Xbox Live for any purpose other than downloads. But I can see the appeal, I guess.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
PS3 supports DUAL 1080p output... damn!

Although who knows if anything will ever take advantage of it, the possibilities are interesting. The below article certainly paints a less optimistic view of Xbox360 as competition, but keep in mind the reviewer did not see last night's Xbox360 E3 press show (which was AMAZING!). The PS3 certainly looks great on paper!

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2417

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis