Microphone recommendations

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm negotiating on some secondhand DSP gear, but the guy doesn't have a mic.

I had no luck on the secondhand market and UMIK-1 is aprox. 110$ in my parts.

Do you maybe know of some other brand to look at?

I only need it for REQ and wouldn't want to spend much.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
It's best to pay the $110 and get the UMIK-1. It's calibrated for REW. Without the proper calibration REW is useless.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dayton UMM-6 is another choice but maybe not where you are (and comes with a calibration file you can use with REW or whatever) but it's usually around the same cost I think. There is also the package Dayton offers called Omnimic 2.0, but that's even more expensive because of the discs/software (I have one of these and also has calibration file that can be used with REW). I'd stick to USB mics in any case. Not familiar with european brands, if any....

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It's best to pay the $110 and get the UMIK-1. It's calibrated for REW. Without the proper calibration REW is useless.
I've been tiptoeing around this truth, trying to avoid admiting that to myself!!

(BTW, don't tell anyone I asked you this, but what is w in REW?)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Dayton UMM-6 is another choice but maybe not where you are (and comes with a calibration file you can use with REW or whatever) but it's usually around the same cost I think. There is also the package Dayton offers called Omnimic 2.0, but that's even more expensive because of the discs/software (I have one of these and also has calibration file that can be used with REW). I'd stick to USB mics in any case. Not familiar with european brands, if any....
There are some EU brands, but no reliable reviews. I don't know what I get.

Yes, Dayton is about the same price and considering I know next to nothing, I'd always choose USB.

Well, I'll give it another look around, but it seems it's miniDSP for approx. 110$. I haven't seen any Black Fridays on this gear. I'll see if I'm luckier as Christmas approaches.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are some EU brands, but no reliable reviews. I don't know what I get.

Yes, Dayton is about the same price and considering I know next to nothing, I'd always choose USB.

Well, I'll give it another look around, but it seems it's miniDSP for approx. 110$. I haven't seen any Black Fridays on this gear. I'll see if I'm luckier as Christmas approaches.
The older style microphones you have to fuss around with powering them properly. Any of these? https://www.thomann.de/gb/microphones_for_measurements.html

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
thomann is where I'm looking. When you find one that's USB, price comes close.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
thomann is where I'm looking. When you find one that's USB, price comes close.
You could use a USB interface with a mic like the one Behringer sells (ECM-8000), but the calibration result sheet that comes with their mics is generic, not specific to the mic and you still need to pay for the USB interface. Since your brother is involved in music, you could have him check with people to find a used one- my Tascam wasn't terribly expensive and I would imagine a used one would be in the $50 range. Parts Express sells a mic that's very similar to the Behringer (looks almost identical) that has a response sheet that comes from calibrating the mic you buy, but I don't know the cost in your area.

I have the ECM-8000 and it has worked well enough. I have seen comments saying that almost any 1/4" mic element will work, as long as it's calibrated and mounted properly. Some people have used a piece of plywood with the element mounted flush to the face, then the mic is calibrated. Panasonic mic elements were mentioned and IIRC, the cost for each was about $3.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Why spend all that money on REW and cheap out on the Mic? lol
:D
Same as with many other things concerning the audio gear, for me it's a one time job. What would be IDEAL, if you ask me is to borrow the damn thing, set the sound and return it. I don't need a mic (I'm absolutely certain I'll be selling it later on and that's what's making me lean toeards the new miniDSP UMIK-1; easier to sell).

@highfigh what about any of these? I could get one of them if you know they're good.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Same as with many other things concerning the audio gear, for me it's a one time job. What would be IDEAL, if you ask me is to borrow the damn thing, set the sound and return it. I don't need a mic (I'm absolutely certain I'll be selling it later on and that's what's making me lean toeards the new miniDSP UMIK-1; easier to sell).

@highfigh what about any of these? I could get one of them if you know they're good.
You might think you only need REW and UMIK once.. but if you are into audio gear that's far from the truth.
Here are some uses I found for it.
1. Checking freq response for my entire system. Then making changes to flatten response and test again.
2. Tweeter blows on speaker. Test new setup with a newer tweeter using REW. This allowed me to keep the new tweeter combo that measured best.
3. Every time I change out a speaker in my system I re-run Audyssey and retest with REW. Make adjustments and test again.
4. Speaker comparison tests. When I'm trying out a new speaker I measure it 1 meter away with REW/UMIK and compare with my existing gear. Helps me decide which speaker to keep/return.

If you only use UMIK once and then sell it, you will be missing one of your best audio testing tools.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You might think you only need REW and UMIK once.. but if you are into audio gear that's far from the truth.
Here are some uses I found for it.
1. Checking freq response for my entire system. Then making changes to flatten response and test again.
2. Tweeter blows on speaker. Test new setup with a newer tweeter using REW. This allowed me to keep the new tweeter combo that measured best.
3. Every time I change out a speaker in my system I re-run Audyssey and retest with REW. Make adjustments and test again.
4. Speaker comparison tests. When I'm trying out a new speaker I measure it 1 meter away with REW/UMIK and compare with my existing gear. Helps me decide which speaker to keep/return.

If you only use UMIK once and then sell it, you will be missing one of your best audio testing tools.
Beg to differ. I hope the down payments are regular! :D:D

None of the reasons you named refers to me, haven't you seen the pic of my system? Nothing will ever change. Soon enough I'll add a sub and I'm done. I don't change gear.

The reason that comes to my mind for keeping it is learn how to use it and charge other people to set theirs. Of course the miniDSP needs to stay plugged in, but all else... when I'm done... no use.

Anyway, there's a huge discount (hals the price) on the Behringer that @highfigh mentioned. But where would I go from its 3pin XLR...

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Beg to differ. I hope the down payments are regular! :D:D

None of the reasons you named refers to me, haven't you seen the pic of my system? Nothing will ever change. Soon enough I'll add a sub and I'm done. I don't change gear.

The reason that comes to my mind for keeping it is learn how to use it and charge other people to set theirs. Of course the miniDSP needs to stay plugged in, but all else... when I'm done... no use.

Anyway, there's a huge discount (hals the price) on the Behringer that @highfigh mentioned. But where would I go from its 3pin XLR...
Glad to hear you have equipment that will never fail or change. That's a good trick.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Glad to hear you have equipment that will never fail or change. That's a good trick.
Why would it fail? I see no reason. I have a simple stereo amp with 2 LS50s I don't see anything failing soon. My gear has an easy life, playing 89dB the lodest. If the stereo amp goes, getting another neutral Yamaha shouldn't require EQ, no? But I would first try to fix it anyway. I don't see in these conditins why would my tweeter ever fail, but getting another LS50 wouldn't require new EQ, right?

Most of my files are on my NAS. If that goes, again, I won't need to do EQ with the new one. I said numerous times here, I don't sawp gear, I don't go for upgrades, I don't change just out of curiosity, I'm not in it for the gear. I'm trying to reach the "set&forget" point and I'm almost there. When I EQ my KEFs, the market can forget about me as I will forget about it.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with what I got. Years go by, but still when I fire it up... Man!!! Just last night I put some good Chemical Brothers tunes through my new headphones... I was blown away. Same goes for the speakers; I played Different Corner by George Michael the other day. It's just heavenly.

Holding onto the REQ gear just because in 10 years time my amp might die... And honestly I don't even see her dying. I bet she's playing 4watts most of the time and it's a walk in the park to deliver whatever little LS50s ask when they dip under 3.6 ohms (even for 90dB SPL).

I just don't see it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis